• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

I actually use olive oil, or creole mustard.  I grill my pork chops coated in creole or spicy mustard, so ig u do get flavor from it, you wont be disappointed.  The only reason you dont see mustard is because if my inlaws see i used it, theyll never touch it, regardless of whether or not the flavor is nonexistent from it or if it tastes good. They dont see any of the other stuff, or they prob wouldnt touch it at all  :cookoo:  All that to say yes, mustard wont do you wrong, but because of picky eaters, olive oil is usually my choice on pork shoulders or roasts.

Russ

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

little upset with my butcher, or at least the lady who answered the phone i came home with two pork shoulder roasts last saturday. the plus side was they were done in half the time and gave me time to smoke two chickens also because i under estimated the amount of meat i would need all in all it all turned out great and everyone was happy, thanks for all your help!!!

before the smoke

porkstart.jpg

after the smoke (i think i shoulda let it go a few more hours)

porkdonw.jpg

emergency chickens

chickens.jpg

lookin good Shepp!    Those pork shoulder roasts look like pork tenderloins to me?  The pork shoulder roasts or pork butts here in Texas are big round and angular in shape...what I see in the pic is a pork tenderloin...and mostly come two to a pack. lemme look I think i took pics of tenderloins we did last week...shoulda only been 1 and 1.25 hours at 320 and 165 internal... just a tad pink middle. I did post pics...page 6 of the pork tenderloins  <thumbsup>  Wash

thought the same thing, but they were way fattier then any thunder loin I've ever had before?! Oh well tasted good!

lookin good Shepp!    Those pork shoulder roasts look like pork tenderloins to me?  The pork shoulder roasts or pork butts here in Texas are big round and angular in shape...what I see in the pic is a pork tenderloin...and mostly come two to a pack. lemme look I think i took pics of tenderloins we did last week...shoulda only been 1 and 1.25 hours at 320 and 165 internal... just a tad pink middle. I did post pics...page 6 of the pork tenderloins  <thumbsup>  Wash

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, not deer. :'( I got this sausage from a local guy who is famous for his barbeque (makes a good living at it!) but it is made by his brother in Schulenburg, Texas. $5 a pound and worth every penny!

6 miles away from me...  Forgive me for being modest, but I can bury his sausage.

Yep, I'm ok when I can overcome my shyness & modesty...

• 4 weeks later...

i got two more butts (straight from the farm this time). im going to smoke them on the 27th for my dads 60th on the 28th. i found some cinnimon chipolte rub today im going to try on at least one butt, might just add it to russ's (the one i used last time).

i didnt really see a smoke ring in the meat nor was the outside totally "barked" but i had an internal temp of 195 like the instructions i had said. and only to add smoke chips for 2 hours

granted im going to hopfully have a pork butt this time, should i let it go longer to get more bark? is there an internal temp i shouldnt pass. and also any tips on putting the chips in should i only go the two hours? should i try a diferent wood (last time i used oak from jack daniels barrels)

thanks

neal

Hi Shepp    here is one of my butt smokes

6/7 lb butt bone in....tried the no bone wasnt as good

slather with mustard and your rub nite before...refridge

this is bout a 10 hour deal  at least so do your planning

bring up smoker to 225... butt at room temp

I use  different woods...but its easy for me cause im using a pellet smoker and can get mixtures of woods or straight wood

pecan...hickory...oak

spray with applejuice /water mixture every hour or so

when internal temp gets to 160 degrees...wrap with foil and add half cup of the apple juice mixture...that is prolly at the 8 hour mark...when the foil goes on the smoking stops and then your just baking....so,to answer your question bout the smoke ring...2 hours of smoke wont get you a ring on a butt....you need smoke for a longer time :)

when internal is 200 degrees pull it off keep it wrapped in the foil and put the wrapped butt in a beer cooler with bath towel over the top and under the bottom...and let it rest for an hour or so :)  Wash

IMG_0260_zpsa25846ed.jpg

IMG_0261_zps20b2aaff.jpg

I wouldnt go past 205 internal, 200 is better. Longer should help, lower temp.  Bark and smoke ring are better.  Being only 6lbs, you still want a long smoke time, so to get to that temp internal and keep it going, drop your cook temp to drag it out some.  I try to stay under 225, closer to 215 for the whole time when i have anything btwn 5-9 lbs, 225 for anything over.  Ive actually had some really great briskets (5lbs each, 4 total per smoke) the last couple times smoking at 260-265 (strangest accident i ever succeeded at, wife thought the temp said 180 after an hour and turned the heat up *facepalm*, and i found it to be repeatable) but i wouldnt dream of doing that with a pork butt.  It'll dry out too easy on the bottom.  And always bone in as he said above.

Russ

I can't follow this thread anymore - it's killing me.  Every single time I get in here and see the new updates, I eat everything in my fridge.  This thread is heinous, right down to it's core...  :o <laughs>

I weighed 195 when I started reading this thread, and now I'm 250.  :thefinger:

I can't follow this thread anymore - it's killing me.  Every single time I get in here and see the new updates, I eat everything in my fridge.  This thread is heinous, right down to it's core...  :o <laughs>

I weighed 195 when I started reading this thread, and now I'm 250.  :thefinger:

Hi 98Z    A mans gotta have a lil beef and pork so he can lift up these heavy rifles  <lmao>  yep I was 195 too before I got the smoker <laughs>  Wash

When i showed up on this site, it didn't take me long to see the enablers at work (or play, depending on your perspective  <laughs>).  Since my enabling skills are only in their infancy as far as the weapons are concerned (i and the enabled far easier than i do the enabling), I find in this thread is a topic i can participate and slowly develop those skills.  98, if you leave this thread never to come back, no more enabling everywhere else from you  ;D  <thumbsup>  yeah, I've gained a few pounds myself, but I have hope.  One of my coworkers is on a "Meat" diet, in which he gets all of his required nutrients throughout  the day, but it's largely based on beef, pork, chicken, and some fish, and the limits placed are with everything else he eats.  He likes when i fire up the smoker and have leftovers, cause he doesnt have to cull any of it....Im starting to think my enabling is just fine :)

Neal, let us know how those things come out next weekend, and how you cooked them.

Russ

-no but im also useing an electric.

-do you mix the wood or put apple in, then when it needs more add pecan and so on? (ive got oak, apple, pecan and i think hickory,

-spray the meat with apple jucie/water mix?

-russ do you tie yours at all? im guessing the foil at the end keeps it from falling apart?

im doing bone in butt they are suppose to be roughly 5# each. last time i did them at 225, ill try 215 and seeing how im doing this the day before i may try the tin foil wrap also.

No tie, flip once at about 150 internal, thats it.  If the heat gets to be too direct (i use sand, not water to hold temp better) ill place a small pan on the lowest rack and keep water on it.  Im guessing its time for pictures.  I should be home monday and will get some if i think abou it.  The only time i use foil is during the last hour or so, so itll make the transition easier into the ice chest with the towel for resting (no ice).

Russ

Hi Guys    Friday nite beer can chicken

clean that bird...spray inside and outside with spray pam

put your rub inside and out...then spray a lil more pam on the rub....drink half your can of beer <laughs> put the other on the chicken stand....drinking a half can of beer is stupid...so open another can of beer for <laughs> yourself.....put the bird in the smoker at 325 degrees and pull the bird when 200

degrees internal.... should be less than 2 hours

heres my idea of proper smoke  :) Wash

IMG_0479_zps0a0cf550.jpg

IMG_0481_zps3ec50d93.jpg

IMG_0484_zps5a40b54d.jpg

now if we had a cheery cheese pie for desert <thumbsup>

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic