Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
imschur

Grilling

Recommended Posts

How long do you brine yours @Sisco?  I did that a few times. 8-12 hours seemed to be good. A full day was way too much. 

Edited by DNP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually 12 hours. This one was 24 so we shall see. Was going to smoke it today, but had a bunch of left over steak for dinner instead, so it stayed in the brine an extra ten hours. Won’t have to salt the meat, that is for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Fukin amazing brother 👍

12 hours ago, Sisco said:

+1

Thank you gentlemen! 

11 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I need to come visit you this summer just to learn to smoke stuff! Would visit Neal but I have spent to much of my life in Rock county and I hate that place. Lol

Who says I want you to come here and learn 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sisco said:

:laffs:

6 hours in

IMG_20210221_115353666.jpg

Looks amazing Al. Meat prep is the biggest thing I need to learn. I am used to just throwing on some seasoning or at the very most using an actual rub. I never really do anything more than that.

 

wife is currently out getting some pork butts and other stuff that are on sale locally for 93 cents a pound. And thawing out a venison neck roast to use in the next couple of days. I am in love with smoking now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

3351DD81-4FE3-4823-A52C-350E450DCE1A.thumb.jpeg.157b6ba6107e9e4f6f4725cc432f02ea.jpeg

also got 20 pounds of pork roast and 4 chickens. 

That Pork roast is a good place to start. Make a slather of Worcestershire sauce, a little fresh minced garlic, a commercial rub and a little olive oil. rub it down and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator before putting it on the smoker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sisco said:

That Pork roast is a good place to start. Make a slather of Worcestershire sauce, a little fresh minced garlic, a commercial rub and a little olive oil. rub it down and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator before putting it on the smoker.

Haha posted the answer right as I was asking the question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your Pork Shoulder has a fair amount of fat, brining is less important. Brining for chicken and leaner cuts replaces the relative lack of fat in keeping the meat moist. Generally try to get over 260F for half an hour to kill any potential bacteria, then throttle it back to 210F. If you like a drier crustier bark leave it on the rack like it is. If you want moist fall off the bone wrap it in aluminum foil after 5 to 6 hours. cooking time is generally 10 hours, more if you want and have it wrapped. A temperature probe will let you know exactly. I tend to wrap and cook longer to get fall off the bone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DNP said:

Damn you’re all making me hungry. 

same here!🍻🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sisco said:

If you want moist fall off the bone wrap it in aluminum foil after 5 to 6 hours. cooking time is generally 10 hours, more if you want and have it wrapped.

 

6 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

@Sisco so even with it completely wrapped in aluminum foil it will still get the smoky flavor just fine? 

You will get plenty of smoke flavor in the first 5-6 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Looks amazing Al. Meat prep is the biggest thing I need to learn. I am used to just throwing on some seasoning or at the very most using an actual rub. I never really do anything more than that.

 

wife is currently out getting some pork butts and other stuff that are on sale locally for 93 cents a pound. And thawing out a venison neck roast to use in the next couple of days. I am in love with smoking now

https://amazingribs.com/information-about-our-pitmaster-club
 

start reading, between him and wash I learned most everything. wash and I actually went back to meatheads way of doing butts awhile ago with no wrap, I feel you get a better bark. 

he should have recipes for rubs in there too, if you have an extra 20$ his book is great and a lot easier to use than the web site 

https://www.amazon.com/Meathead-Science-Great-Barbecue-Grilling/dp/054401846X/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=amazing+ribs+cookbook&qid=1613955940&sprefix=amazing+ri&sr=8-3

Edited by shepp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ARTrooper said:

Ah I see. Makes sense.

ok wife and I will definitely take a look.

FYI I edited and added more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...