• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Colt 901 Great rifle

Pappy1600

Just picked up my 901 this week, I was lucky enough to get one of the first 100 rifles shipped with a Colt letter. Very happy with it, now comes the fun part of mating some glass to it. The trigger is what you would expect from a Milspec trigger, that will be the first thing to go! going to install a Geissele trigger ASAP. rifle did not come with the adapter for 556 upper conversion or the block for the magazine well, not sure when those will become available. Overall Colt did a great job on this rifle.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<thumbsup> now that's what i'm talking about.

oh robo…….  >:D

Screw you! I'm very tempted already. I don't need any assistance from the peanut gallery!

@Pappy1600, that is a very nice rifle. I hope you understand that I have to hate you for a little while. It's not personal. I'm just jealous.

@Robo, no problem man I understand, been a long wait, too long!! I was fortunate enough to be allocated one from my distributor, I also am a FFL dealer and was required to buy three other AR's in order to be able to get this rifle, thank god I was able to sell those three rifles in the first week or my wife would have cut my balls off for spending all that cash! I do hope they become more available for everyone very soon, hang in there! it's worth the wait believe me.

I must be the only one who doesn't drink the Colt kool-aid... <dontknow>

I admit, I am a Colt guy. I own several of their single actions. From 1st gen black powder to their newer 4th gen. All of which I have used, and still use, for hunting. I have had several of their 1911's and other autos (double eagle, mustang, 1903) over the years. All used as regular carry guns. All still qualified for LE carry after being 50-75 years old. My first AR15 was my fathers Colt. If you do a search in the "Black Rifles" section you'll find where I finally upgraded it after 25+ years of hard LE use, ranging from patrol to SWAT.

You find me any other company that has a longer reputation for making a lasting firearm. Nothing feels more awesome than shooting a buck with a 100 year old Winchester rifle knowing it has probably killed 100's of animals in its life. Same goes for picking up my prized SAA's and wondering how many indians or horse thieves or bank tellers or whatever, fell to the .45 slug flung from its barrel.

When our local SWAT bought a truckload of new Colt Commando M4's, the distributor said not to oil them, and if there are any malfunctions to return the rifles. These rifles were taken into training immediately. Some saw around 3,000 rounds in full auto fire that week, with nothing more than a bore snake for cleaning. To this day, none have been returned.

I'm not saying Colt is the best at anything. I know there are more accurate, faster shooting guns out there. Colt is just the one I trust sight unseen. If someone told me I was going to war and I was being issued a LaRue, I'd ask "which one?" if they said I was being issued a Colt, I'd simply say "Ok".

I don't just drink the KoolAid. I'm the fat guy dressed in red, bursting through your wall, yelling "Oh yeah!"

Well put, I have been a Colt fan since I was a kid dreaming about owning one and I feel it's a time tested company that makes a great product. I own 5 of their rifles and numerous handguns and have never had any issues with any of them. I also collect old Winchester lever rifles and love them as much as my Colts. I guess I drank the kool-aid then, and I would not have it any other way. When other cops ask me what my preference is in Milspec rifles, I  say "Colt"

And by the way I like Grape Kool-aid!

• 2 weeks later...

Added a few items to the 901, thing is heavy, 12lbs with no ammo in mag.  Need a good Sling and a trigger and I'm done. Here are a few pics.... And Robo it's ok, I know you're a hater!

9011001.jpg

By pappy1600 at 2012-08-10

[img width=810 height=607]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7962/9011002.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1826/9011003.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8485/9011004.jpg

Nice brother Pappy,I like that setup.What kinda mags do you use?

Only have the two that came with the rifle at this time, unsure if standard 20LR Pmags will work, these are "Colt Enhanced 20LR Mags" whatever that means and have a seperate product number, plus my distributor does not have any standard 20LR mags on hand so can not check to see if these will work or if their is a difference. If anyone can chime in that might have more knowledge please do.