• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Colt 901 Great rifle

Pappy1600

The rifle was not supplied with either the conversion block for the mag well nor the upper reciever adapter, I did try to fit a 6940 upper on the lower and it matches up to the rear pin but the way the front pin is designed it sits much lower on the lower receiver and is at a angle, so you would need the adapter in order to secure a 5.56 upper. From what I had seen if you do install a 5.56 upper when removing the rear td pin and folding the upper forward space is very limited, might only be able to remove the BCG. I am surprised that Colt did not ship the adapters with these rifles, maybe since it was the first run that was shipped may have played a part in it, also I have no idea how to even order them, no information was provided by Colt.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the adapter portion. It allows you to use already produced AR15/M4 type uppers. That is a huge bonus!

I don't like that they couldn't figure out the buffer/buffer-spring difference. Mil and LE guys are notorious for losing and breaking things. The less amount of parts we need to be responsible for, the better.

I still love the rifle. I have no doubt that, in time, a new buffing system will come available. 

From what I have been reading around on different sites, I am hearing that the weapon is functioning with the 308 buffer with 5.56 uppers. I have yet to hear any issues resulting in this configuration, if I hear otherwise will let you know. Now I want the adapter just to see if the 308 buffer does work with the 5.56 upper. Just need to figure out how to get one. Guess will have to call Colt up and find out how much they want for one.

It would be nice if they made a polymer adapter vs the aluminum model. The weight is beginning to look excessive.

I also see no reason why a 5.56 upper can't be configured to use the 7.62 buffer system. Just make sure you have plenty of gas going through the gun, to push the heavier buffer and spring. I'll bet a 5.56 upper works really well with a sound suppressor on it. Just a guess...

I am sure in time, someone will make a polymer adapter, yes the weight on this rifle is up there, the way mine is set up right now weighed in at 12.2 lbs , thats no joke! send me a can and I'll let you know  ;D

No cans to be had here, just what walks around the house and whats in the fridge!

Went to the range today, Sighted in the ACOG, using 147gr hand loads, just had some 165gr and 168gr Hornady's come in today, need to see what they will do.

rangegd.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7384/range1m.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9326/range2o.jpg

This was the first string while getting it dialed in

[img width=810 height=607]http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2741/range3.jpg

The nice UPS man dropped off a present today!! the good folks at Geissele had sent my new SSA-E trigger for my 901! Last time I ordered it took a couple of weeks, this was less than 3 days! needless to say it was installed in record time, only one issue, the pins supplied by Geissele were shorter than the standard pins, so I just kept the originals. Will give them a heads up. What a nice trigger, can't wait to take it out on the range.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...