• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Why shorter barrels may often be better - Article

imschur

• 3 months later...

Justin, are you comparing lightweight short barrels vs heavy/bull long barrels?

Governemnt profile barrels to longer heavier barrels, but no not exactly light weight.  With heavy barrels I would still prefer a 24" over a 16" for target shooting.  The 24" isn't going to twist enough to matter at 100 yards, and @300 yards or more the added velocity is more than worth any concerns over twist.  

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm with bcg on this one.....just got that longer, heavier shoots farther, better stuck in my head.....don’t mind carrying extra pound or three...read article some years ago on barrel length affect on handguns. Started at 12" and cut 1" off between tests with no real difference in accuracy till 2"...velocity drop was considerable though....I just work with what I'm used to I guess. ;D

I tend to agree with you, for over fifty years of shooting I was always of the opinion that longer was better. However, with my purchase of a Ruger SR-762 with a 16.12" barrel and several studies I have read I am now of the opinion that a 18-20" barrel would probably be optimum for the .308 though I am stuck with the shorter barrel on my Ruger since barrel replacement would void the warranty and no one makes a longer barrel that will fit my baby !!!