• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Forbidden Knowledge About Handloading

MikedaddyH

The general consensus seems to be that any lead that might find it's way into the gas port is blown on through the gas system by the gas itself.

That makes sense - lead is a natural lubricant anyway.   By blowing it through, there's really only one place for that lead to end up - on your bolt tail.  You could look at that part after a range event, and kinda determine how much lead is going through the system.

Tom, my shooting buddy has the contact number of a guy in Las Cruces who sells cast bullets for 300BLK for $75 per 500. I believe they are 200+ grn. bullets already sized and lubed. When I have a chance I'm going pick a batch up and load 'em up and shoot 'em. I'll report back my findings here afterwards. Heck, the worst that could happen is I would have to disassemble the gun and clean all the lead out and I have the technology to do that! <thumbsup>

Tom, my shooting buddy has the contact number of a guy in Las Cruces who sells cast bullets for 300BLK for $75 per 500. I believe they are 200+ grn. bullets already sized and lubed. When I have a chance I'm going pick a batch up and load 'em up and shoot 'em. I'll report back my findings here afterwards. Heck, the worst that could happen is I would have to disassemble the gun and clean all the lead out and I have the technology to do that! <thumbsup>

what about getting and using plated bullets ?

• 8 months later...

Can you load low enough to shoot subsonic in .308 AR and hit a water jug and recover the bullet for examination of the lands and grooves?   I've recovered bullets shot into snow during the winter (normal high veloctiy loads) and found them after snow melt on top the ground and except for just the very tip, pretty pristine.  My loads shooting into water/dirt is not an effective way to recover a nearly intact bullet.

Thats what a 300 Blackout is for.  .308 bullet brought down to subsonic.  Try it you'll like it.  ^-^

I shot some cast wheel weight bullets with gas checks in my model 94 3030 with good results pure lead swadged bullets were too soft for my rifle worked well lb a 45 Auto pistol. I used a mild load of 4895. You need a powder that gives a decent fill in the cartridge case.

• 3 years later...
On 10/28/2012 at 4:26 PM, MikedaddyH said:

While you're scouring the internet Mike, look for an article called "The Load".

They did something like 9gr of Red Dot in like 20 different calibers.

Saw it !

Jon

It is interesting to see how many ctgs will work with 7.0 Unique too. 

John Ross has mentioned that some older Dupont handouts they had at gun stores listed fairly slow IMR powders in say 44 magnum for "rifle loads". 

Bill