• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Jguns Kaiser 308 Build

So, Now that my trigger came in, I finally got to the range to try out the Kaiser build this weekend. I had some function issues with it. Not sure if they are due to the gun needing to be broken in, or are due to the chrome DPMS bolt carrier. What I encountered was that the bolt wasn't locking back on an empty mag. when I examined the action I found, as compared to the Mega carbine with the Armalite bolt, that the Armalite moved back and forth in the upper with  smoother and the bolt locked up with less effort. When I examined the bolt carrier, I found that the locking cam for the DPMS bolt was very stiff. Don't know if this is a matter of needing to break in, or a matter of excessive chrome on the carrier. Before stopping for the day I oiled the whole thing down internally so much that there was oil dripping off the gun. This seemed to improve the condition, but still not 100%. I'm going to clean the whole thing thoroughly and see if I can find any wear patterns indicating some clearance problems. I found that the recoil of this one was subjectively heavier than the other. Not sure if it's due to the lighter weight of the gun or a less effective muzzle brake. More testing will be needed.

post-164-136297265982_thumb.jpg

post-164-136297265984_thumb.jpg

post-164-136297265987_thumb.jpg

that was very perceptive of you caporider. I didn't think anyone would notice. I did in fact make my own barrel nut in order to be able to utilize the LaRue rail which uses a 1 7/16-18 nut, on the Kaiser receiver which has a 1 7/16-16 pitch KAC/DPMS pitch  thread. I did it because I wanted the front of the rail to be even with the front of the rifle length gas block and the LaRue was one of the few that was the right length to accomplish that.

post-164-136297265991_thumb.jpg

That is such a good lookin machine... How did it do on paper?

I was getting 3" at 100 yds, but in my defense, I was really focusing on function testing the gun, and I was cleaning the barrel between each shot. I hope to go back out there soon with some match ammo and no distractions and see what the gun is really capable of. Of course I will still be handicapped by my poor shooting skill. Maybe I'll see if one of my more talanted friends will try it so I can see what it will do in the hands of a more capable shooter.

that was very perceptive of you caporider. I didn't think anyone would notice. I did in fact make my own barrel nut in order to be able to utilize the LaRue rail which uses a 1 7/16-18 nut, on the Kaiser receiver which has a 1 7/16-16 pitch KAC/DPMS pitch  thread. I did it because I wanted the front of the rail to be even with the front of the rifle length gas block and the LaRue was one of the few that was the right length to accomplish that.

Nicely done, sir!

I believe you would sell quite a few barrel nuts if you were inclined to make more...  ;)

There are other considerations in trying to mix and match rails/uppers. The half moon retainer that LaRue uses, has clearance issues on many of the uppers, It doesn't fit the Mega or DPMS uppers without some clearance work done to the receiver( something I can't imagine anyone wanting to do) In fact LaRue even mentions it in their installation instructions. Fortunately, it did fit the Kaiser with no mods. I think that a custom nut might work with those other uppers  if you were to use the Armalite SASS rail and adjustable gas block (something I'm thinking about for the next build) because, as far as I can tell, Armalite does'nt use that retainer.

besides the clearance needed to physically locate the tab, you need clearance on both sides of the upper in order to install the two long screws that actually  secure it, through the nut, to the back of the rail. I had even thought about leaving it off all together considering that Armalite seems to get by alright with just the gas tube keeping the rail/nut from rotating.

• 3 weeks later...

Got back to the range today with the K7. It seems as though the problems I faced first time out with it were due to not enough oil and maybe needing break in. The gun ran 100% today and I was able to hit small items placed on the berm easily at 100yds off hand with BUIS (I didn't have the pleasure of using my friends Night Force this time). I really love how light and nimble this gun feels. I was also shooting my friends LWRC REPR. His gun is a Cadillac. It has a Night Force optic,PRS stock, bi pod and he had it set up with a stock bag under the PRS. the gun is very accurate, but it is a bench gun. I am beginning to think that it would be a mistake to weigh the Kaiser down with a high power (heavy) optic. I'm thinking that I have to come up with sometype of light weight medium range scope to complement the gun. That means that I could theoretically justify another 7.62X51 build if I went for a long range bench gun this time.

yep not enough lube and a break in. Cant stress enough these guns initially need more lube than an AR-15

And the AR-15 needs to be about dripping wet on break-in...  Which says something about these...

I'm just sayin'...  <dontknow>