• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Recommended Tools

Ok being is this is my first build what is recommended requirement for tools? I see a lot and wonder what is needed and what is just extra. I have a armorers tool already. Looking at all the tools it can make your head spin <laughs>

Thanks <thumbsup>

Hiya Spectra    A lil brass gunsmith hammer,allen wrenches...not on a keyring....punches...wheeler has some...brass ones arnt my favs...they bend.model one sales has a ar15 punch kit for like 15 bucks.....a lil plastic gunsmith hammer too

:)Wash

I purchased the DPMS Claw after looking at several of those.  I looked at the PRI and I am sure it would have worked, but I kept thinking how sick I would feel if I snapped that $124 upper receiver during the build trying to save a few bucks.  You will be happy that you have that extra polymer of the Claw jammed up in the upper receiver when you start laying the torque to the barrel nut. 

Whether it be automotive, woodworking or firearms tools, you will rarely regret buying the best tools you can afford. 

I recommended these on the other thread as well..... the PRI barrel nut wrenches are pretty good to have for both 308 and 556.  You can use both 1/2 and 3/8 torque wrenches with them. 

Washguy hit it right.  A good brass hammer and a nice set of punches will serve you well though the years.  My wife bought me a jewelers hammer that was brass on one side of the head and delrin (sp) on the other side. 

Good luck with the build. 

I purchased the DPMS Claw after looking at several of those.  I looked at the PRI and I am sure it would have worked, but I kept thinking how sick I would feel if I snapped that $124 upper receiver during the build trying to save a few bucks.  You will be happy that you have that extra polymer of the Claw jammed up in the upper receiver when you start laying the torque to the barrel nut. 

Whether it be automotive, woodworking or firearms tools, you will rarely regret buying the best tools you can afford. 

I recommended these on the other thread as well..... the PRI barrel nut wrenches are pretty good to have for both 308 and 556.  You can use both 1/2 and 3/8 torque wrenches with them. 

Washguy hit it right.  A good brass hammer and a nice set of punches will serve you well though the years.  My wife bought me a jewelers hammer that was brass on one side of the head and delrin (sp) on the other side. 

Good luck with the build.

Thanks for the info and yes I try to buy the best I can get. I was not sure if the aluminum would be better than the plastic <laughs> But after seeing a few builds with people using the plastic I am going with it. I already have a little list figured out on Brownells. Parts started showing up today so I better get it figured out quick.

• 2 years later...

i use a lymans punch kit, comes in a wooden box, 6 punches and a hammer with a brass end then a nylon/composite end, has a tungsten end for extra ooompf on the bottom of the handle, i use Grace short roll pin punches, some no name roll pin starters, a pivot pin tool, and DPMS claws in 556 and 308, sometimes a barrel block when clocking a muzzle device,,,and forgot i use oak 1/4" dowels alot too, sometimes use 1/2 a clothes pin without the spring of course

Edited by lasher

sorry to  have wasted your time, add me to your ignore list, but if there are topics this old on the front page of reading material then the board must not be very active. i just read and respond, don't care about dates. it's data that could or could not be useful to future readers. have a lovely day

Edited by lasher

Do you have an ar10? I don't want to ignore you or anyone of this awesome house of brothers!

On that note my first teacher told me there are no wrong ? And I can learn something new from the dumbest ? We do call out the ar10 fopaw if I missed it disregard!!

no, i don't have an AR10, i have two AR10's - five 6.8 spcII - three 5.56. as for FAUX PAS versus fopaw you simply aren't making sense, or perhaps it's an inside joke. at any rate put me on your ignore list, you're certainly on mine henceforth. have a lovely day

no, i don't have an AR10, i have two AR10's - five 6.8 spcII - three 5.56. as for FAUX PAS versus fopaw you simply aren't making sense, or perhaps it's an inside joke. at any rate put me on your ignore list, you're certainly on mine henceforth. have a lovely day

Take a breath there fella, no one here is going to mistreat you. You having a bad day or something?

nope, having a wonderful day. how about you?  to quote captain mccall from lonesome dove, "i can't abide rude behavior" , so i ignore it. greatest invention on the planet, the ignore function. plus getting to use "henceforth" is always a pleasure

nope, having a wonderful day. how about you? to quote captain mccall from lonesome dove, "i can't abide rude behavior" , so i ignore it. greatest invention on the planet, the ignore function. plus getting to use "henceforth" is always a pleasure

Just checking. I'm sure Sketch wasn't trying to be rude, we don't do that to newcomers. However, you should know that the AR10 is a specific platform for the large AR, and using it generically can be misleading and costly to the uninformed. Therefore, (see what I did there?) we try to make sure that the correct terminology gets used. I hope that is an acceptable explanation.

and after a few moments reflection, condescending and rude is unacceptable to me personally. adios amigos, enjoy your hole in the web

Actually, I made every effort to try to convey politeness, but your entitlement mentality seems to prevent you from perceiving it correctly. Your absence shall ever remain inconspicuous. Farewell.

Damn, I hope inflexability isn't contagious. I don't mind being corrected even when I had a rectum reaming about buying from CTD. LR isn't too inferior to me from AR as long as my LR shoots like I think it should, the original trigger did suck. But don't ever call my retired US ARMY solder a baby killer, that gets my hockels up.