• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

my first gun "project"

shepp

love the look of the tactical shot gun, but didnt really like the mossberg/remington price tag. so in me search for an AR a few weeks ago i came across this used 870 express magnum

shottybefore_zps5307628e.jpg

magpul fore grip with backhawk adjustable stock.

shottyafter_zpse6aa4c08.jpg

would like to get an eotec style optic and maybe a tube extension, but idk if i wanna buy the tool to beat the tabs in on the mag tube for 2 extra shells.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How "used" it is (i.e., how old) may be a determining factor on whether or not the magazine needs to be destaked or not.

I'm not positive but I want to say the late 1990s is when Remington started staking the magazine tubes.

A couple of ways to remove the staking punch marks...iron out or drill.  If you don't mind a hole on either side, drill 'em out!  They work just like they've been center punched.  Deburr and you're good to go!

Jon

How "used" it is (i.e., how old) may be a determining factor on whether or not the magazine needs to be destaked or not.

I'm not positive but I want to say the late 1990s is when Remington started staking the magazine tubes.

A couple of ways to remove the staking punch marks...iron out or drill.  If you don't mind a hole on either side, drill 'em out!  They work just like they've been center punched.  Deburr and you're good to go!

Jon

ill have to look into that jon, thanks!! any input on a good tube extension?

EDIT** thanks for that bit of knowledge, smooth as a babies butt:D

its not in to bad of shape, there is some wear on it but not to bad. ive got a friend that does that holograpic water dip that i may have coat the resvior, barrel and mag tube he says the stuff is stronger then duracoat.

The "best".  <laughs>

Will a Pontiac GTO do when the Ferrari GTO is unavailable?

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/shotgun-magazines/magazine-tubes-amp-parts/index.htm?avs%7CMake_3=Remington

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=96&newcategorydimensionid=2623

Muuwwaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!  >:D

I mean, plenty of choices!

Note that Brownell's has most of that IN stock.

Jon

Jon, I can't even IMAGINE that you'd recommend a Choate extended tube.  That's the same tube that comes on the Moss 930SPX.  Don't you know how weak those are, and how easily they dent/jam/fail?...  poop, they dent when you LOOK at them...

I say that in jest - it's a joke.  Nordic Components hasn't had my Moss 930SPX extension in stock...  for about a year and a half. 

Some time ago, on this board, the weakness of the Choate tube was HELL-RAISED by a guy, and I tore his ass up.  It was pretty damn good for a minute.

I got my junk smashed for that one...  :o <dontknow>

For those looking - the Choate will work out fine.  I still run my Choate extension, to this day.  <thumbsup>  If NC ever gets my extension made, I'll upgrade to it, but that's the sickness of "upgrading."  The NC has an additional advantage over the Choate, and that was what I was looking for - unscrew the endcap and download the tube.  Buy the Choate fear-free - it gets more rounds in the tube, and that's the goal. 

(My weak Choate tube still doesn't have any dents in it, either - I hope that guy comes back and reads this...)

I have a Choate tube on my 1100 and we put them on all our dept. issued 870's years ago. The only problem I've ever seen with them was one of the 870 tubes separated from the threaded collar while firing. This was after several hundred rounds of 00 buckshot and slugs had been fired through the gun. As far as I know, the dept. is still using those tubes!

Tom, I guess your altercation was before I joined as I don't recall it. I'm truly sorry to have missed it, you're really entertaining when you let someone have it! <lmao>

Tom, I guess your altercation was before I joined as I don't recall it. I'm truly sorry to have missed it, you're really entertaining when you let someone have it! <lmao>

In the interest of keeping it a pleasant place to hang out, argumentative threads usually are either scrubbed or trashed completely. Everybody comes here to enjoy themselves, anything akin to bickering or infighting has to either be kept to PMs or done away with. When you look at our membership numbers, it's astonishing how FEW members we've ever done away with, everybody acts like adults, and everybody seems to enjoy each other's company. It's why I regard 308AR as my all-time favorite gun website, and I'm not just saying that, it is a fact.

In the interest of keeping it a pleasant place to hang out, argumentative threads usually are either scrubbed or trashed completely. Everybody comes here to enjoy themselves, anything akin to bickering or infighting has to either be kept to PMs or done away with. When you look at our membership numbers, it's astonishing how FEW members we've ever done away with, everybody acts like adults, and everybody seems to enjoy each other's company. It's why I regard 308AR as my all-time favorite gun website, and I'm not just saying that, it is a fact.

+1  <thumbsup>

I have a Choate tube on my 1100 and we put them on all our dept. issued 870's years ago. The only problem I've ever seen with them was one of the 870 tubes separated from the threaded collar while firing. This was after several hundred rounds of 00 buckshot and slugs had been fired through the gun. As far as I know, the dept. is still using those tubes!

Thank you for your input

...but, but, but.... HE WAS NEIGHBORS WITH A MOSSBERG ARMORER!!!  <laughs>

I remember that...

I had completely forgotten that part of it - until now...  <lmao> <laughs>

I agree - I love this place.  I cringe at the thought that most of the stuff that comes up as questionable...  has something to do with me, in some way.  Usually, directly...  :-[

I have a hard time holding my tongue, sometimes.  <dontknow>

I ordered a +3 Nordic Components tube for my Mossy 930 direct from them. I had ordered it from another vendor (listed on this site) but it was out of stock for them. I waited and then the expected in stock date got pushed back again so I canceled and order from NC. I love that Tube! When I get another barrel I will get another NC too. I sure would like one of those clamps with a rail.....

• 1 month later...

besides getting a rail tap'd into the top for my burris sight i think i'm done. on my way home from chicago i stopped at cabelas and from a new barrel (that accepts a choke) and only has a bead on the front of it also got one of those ported door breach chokes on it. also put a 3 shell extendtion tube on it a few weeks ago with a magpul barrel tube clamp with sling point.

IMG_7222_zpsda37bba1.jpg

IMG_7221_zpse8e78ee4.jpg

IMG_7220_zpsc3529fee.jpg

I ordered a +3 Nordic Components tube for my Mossy 930 direct from them. I had ordered it from another vendor (listed on this site) but it was out of stock for them. I waited and then the expected in stock date got pushed back again so I canceled and order from NC. I love that Tube! When I get another barrel I will get another NC too. I sure would like one of those clamps with a rail.....

If you don't mind my asking, does the +3 stick out farther than the barrel, and how much?

• 2 weeks later...