• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I think I have decided on a mountain bike.

imschur

I have decided on buying a complete bike rather than building my own.

There are many great bikes to choose from but in the end  I will purchase from my favorite bike shop Class Cycles in Southbury CT. That means Trek, Felt or Cannondale are my options.

If nothing goes wrong I hope to get a Trek Rumblefish Elite or Pro unless the Roscoe 29er becomes available. I was leaning heavily towards a Yeti SB-95 Enduro but the closest dealer is 90 minutes away or online. The Yeti is a bit more expensive all things being equal.

post-1-136297287923_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well I have the bike in hand. Holy cow looking at pictures on the web you dont realize just how big these 29" bikes are. The first thing that surprised me was the weight. The new bike is a bunch lighter than the older and smaller bike. It's really interesting to see the little details in engineering of the smallest of parts. Suspensions that are adjustable on the fly. The drivetrain is a mix of SLX and XT but kills my old XTR stuff in terms of shift speed and precision. Brakes are exceptional and require very little effort for precise control which is really important to a guy with short fingers and a weak grip.
I did not like the color on the internet pictures but it's a beauty in person. I LOVE the old Kawasaki green highlights...

I cant wait to get out and ride this weekend.

I have a friend who works at Thule and he's hooking me up with their best 2" receiver rack for really cheap.

The advances they've made in metalurgy in the past few decades is phenomenal!

I remember the first time I saw one of the bicycles with top of the line components and oversized steel tubing, it was a couple of pounds lighter than the new carbon fiber with the same components.  Crazy.

Jon

Dude, you have friends EVERYWHERE...  <laughs>

Cuz Im cute and likeable.. (humble too)

A few years back having a forum discussion with this guitarist I know from Canada, he was looking for someone to make him a custom pedalboard. As luck would have it I knew of a guy.."The Guy"  who just happened to have a shop in very close proximity to where this guitarist lived. So I hooked them up. Later another guy on the forum wrote something to the effect that if he was ever lost in the middle of the desert and he needed some sort of special guitar widget that he would call me cuz I probably knew a guy in a stone hut who could help. He wrote it much funnier though.

Related side story I intentionally wore my Rainier Arms cap to a concert on a just for fun dare to get the previously mentioned guitarist in a picture with me wearing the lid. That was the first time my worlds collided :)