• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 Charging Handle

I am wanting to up-grade my charging handle on my DPMS 308 LR RECON. I am trying to decide between Rainier Arms and BCM.  Does anyone have any good or bad experience with either of these? I know the BCM can be ordered in small, medium, & large. I believe Rainier Arms only comes in one size. They both looked like they were made out of the same material. The main difference that I see is price. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Justin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey, I wanted to add for anyone else looking at this topic that you can get a "tactical" charging handle latchin many flavors if your short on cash. I used a badger ordnance ttactical latch, and it made the standard charging handle alot easier to use around my buis, it was $18 from brownells, and I installed it in under 2 minutes. I was very happy with it.

So if anyone is looking for functionality for a bit cheaper, and maybe can forgo a little bling, simply upgrading the latch on the charging handle could be a viable option.

Hey, I wanted to add for anyone else looking at this topic that you can get a "tactical" charging handle latchin many flavors if your short on cash. I used a badger ordnance ttactical latch, and it made the standard charging handle alot easier to use around my buis, it was $18 from brownells, and I installed it in under 2 minutes. I was very happy with it.

So if anyone is looking for functionality for a bit cheaper, and maybe can forgo a little bling, simply upgrading the latch on the charging handle could be a viable option.

Just don't get too aggressive on the charging of the BCG. Those add-on pieces aren't designed to take the same kind of punishment that the above listed handles can. If you pull too hard/fast on a Franken-Charging handle, you could damage it pretty easily.

Honestly, the TacOps-1 (through our group buy) is the BEST option available. Not only do I swear that it is probably the best product on the market... it's also the least expensive! By the time you buy a standard charging handle (about $20-$30 depending on when/where you buy it), and then add on the additional "tactical latch" (Another $15-$20) you are damn near the same price you would have spent on the TacOps-1.

I have a Badger latch... on my .22lr build...

TacOps-1 on most everything else... I have a Gunfighter on one upper still, but only because it didn't have anything else and I ran out of TacOps-1's.

I'm looking at two more rifles in the very near future, for the wife and I. Both will be for patrol use (she's LE also). They will most certainly both have TacOps-1 "CQB" handles.

Rob, are you gonna go side-charger on the x39 rifle?  If so, let me get you some information.  Get ahold of me, if that's the case.

Ambi side charger, ejects from either side - whichever side you set it up to eject from. 

"The TacOps-1 was actually designed to tighter tolerances specifically to reduce the amount of gas/hot-oil back into the shooters face.

This was an intended feature quoted to me from their owner. "

How about the Raptor or Phase 5?  Is there a way to have them limit blow-back like the PRI/Tacops do?

FWIW...

The TacOps-1 was actually designed to tighter tolerances specifically to reduce the amount of gas/hot-oil back into the shooters face.

This was an intended feature quoted to me from their owner.

I doubt it helps much when running suppressed. There's still going to be a good gap between the receiver and charging handle.

The RTV silicone mod can be done to the other charging handles as well. The BCM is the cheaper than the others but is still plenty durable.

Edited by FaRKle!