• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Buffer Tube, Buffer and Buffer Spring

Robocop1051

Magpul actually recommends the CAR10 with their UBR. Clint, from heavybuffers.com, advises that the Armalite AR10 buffer spring works best in combo with the CAR10.

The problem with those "reviews" is that anyone can submit one. There is no basis for experience level. I would love to interview one of those reviewers to find out the real reason their rifle is FUBAR... I'm sure it's not user error! (Insert sarcasm here)

If you can pull the charging handle and lock the bolt back, it is not a buffer issue. If you are still getting FTF, FTE or fail to lock after last round, there are other issues you may have to address.

Really, all I read in most of those reviews is, "I spent $1k on a rifle and put a $100 part in it. Now I'm disappointed that it doesn't shoot like a $4k rifle."

I especially hate the, "I have a X upper and a Y lower with a Z barrel and a random BCG. This new part doesn't fit in my freakish patchwork build, so it must suck. Why can't all companies make .308 parts MIL SPEC?"

They should hold their heads under water till they figure it out.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree and that is why I was ready to dismiss the review. I just figured I would ask just in case.

Since posting, i have compared the UBR extension to the carbine extension on my ar15 and I cannot see any reason at all it wouldn't work. For christs sake it's just a tube. Proper inside diameter and proper length and we have a match.

It's listed with the product, right on MagPul's website.  Their wording is as close as they legally get, in advising you to run Slash's buffer/spring combo with a .308 AR.  If you go to their Industry Section, on another AR forum, they'll straight tell you openly about it.

First pic below - hit their website, navigate to the UBR product page, and select the SPECS tab.  Scroll down.

Second pic - and the bottom of the SPECS info, you'll see this advice...

post-7-0-29445400-1365729244_thumb.png

post-7-0-97521600-1365729255_thumb.png

Ya I already read all that before I purchased the UBR. Was only asking on account of one specific person saying that he personally tried it and it didn't work... I am not doubting you guys or Magpul or anyone. But I measured it myself and can clearly see that it's compatible, so we are in the clear.

Edited by phunk

• 1 year later...

So after reading this am I correct to say that I can use my mid-length gas 18" barrel with a magpul PRS stock containing a DPMS rifle length tube, spring and damper?  I also plan on using the Gen II Syrac Ord adjustable gas block. 

Any problems with this combo?  I am SO confused!!!!   Thanks for all the help guys.  I already had to make a custom length mag release button for the H&H lower but it turned out sweet. 

Edited by cantshootafish

Barrel & its gas system has nothing to do with any stock configuration , throw an adjustable gas block in there &  it can effect the actions performance , if not adjusted properly .

Use the proper components for that particular stock configuration , meaning rifle length or Carbine & their proper configurations for the specific caliber . 308 stuff for a 308 & 5.56/.223 for 5.56/.223 .

Edited by survivalshop

I've been using the Syrac Ord adjustable gas blocks for 4 builds now (besides other builds) on the AR platform and am quite used to them.  The only .308 I did so far was a rifle length gas system with the A2 fixed stock, rifle length extension tube/buffer/spring and it fuctions perfectly.  I just don't know the best way to approach the mid length gas system since I have had no experience with it in either platform and got a deal on a CMMG mid length gas barrel for the .308 build. 

I have the PRS stock and rifle length receiver extension in stock with the .308 rifle length buffer/spring.  I have no problem with running the adjustable gas full open to zero in the system. So can anyone tell me if the rifle length damper/spring/tube will work properly with the mid length gas barrel.....or do I need a carbine length reciever extension, buffer and tube? 

Thats all I am trying to find out.  Thanks.  

So can anyone tell me if the rifle length damper/spring/tube will work properly with the mid length gas barrel.....or do I need a carbine length reciever extension, buffer and tube? 

As Survivlashop said above, gas system length has absolutely nothing to do with what buffer tube and stock setup you use.

Edited by 392heminut

I have the PRS stock and rifle length receiver extension in stock with the .308 rifle length buffer/spring.  I have no problem with running the adjustable gas full open to zero in the system. So can anyone tell me if the rifle length damper/spring/tube will work properly with the mid length gas barrel.....or do I need a carbine length reciever extension, buffer and tube? 

Yes it'll work with the AR-10 or LR308 rifle springs (very slight difference, but virtually equivalent), and AR-10/LR308 rifle buffer.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered this for my build http://www.pof-usa.com/shop/index.php?id_product=29&controller=product   &  XH Carbine Buffer - 8.5 ounces http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15carbine   & this spring http://www.heavybuffers.com/springs.html  .308 RIFLE Buffer Spring - ArmaLite #EA1095   I e-mailed Clint @ Heavy Buffers & was told that would work for my buffer tube. :D :unsure:

I ordered this for my build http://www.pof-usa.com/shop/index.php?id_product=29&controller=product   &  XH Carbine Buffer - 8.5 ounces http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15carbine   & this spring http://www.heavybuffers.com/springs.html  .308 RIFLE Buffer Spring - ArmaLite #EA1095   I e-mailed Clint @ Heavy Buffers & was told that would work for my buffer tube. :D :unsure:

Yup, those parts will work. They're AR-10 pattern parts. I put the same extension on my PWS.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's a thread around here some where on the JP SC spring set up . Read what the owners & users have to say about it . You can't go wrong with the AR10 system though .

Wait , did I say that ?  <laughs>

Here's the Thread 

Edited by survivalshop

• 2 weeks later...