• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Buffer Tube, Buffer and Buffer Spring

Robocop1051

Ugh.

As someone here once said, "It doesn't matter if some other military is using it.  That doesn't make it mil-spec..."

That was someone here, in reply to me, when i said that there are MANY DPMS rifles sold/shipped to foreign armies...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh.

As someone here once said, "It doesn't matter if some other military is using it.  That doesn't make it mil-spec..."

That was someone here, in reply to me, when i said that there are MANY DPMS rifles sold/shipped to foreign armies...

It doesn't necessarily make it our (US) milspec, but it's hard to deny that it isn't "their" milspec ;).

If we look at how the current AR-15 TDP became "milspec" it was because "That's what Colt's submission happened to have." and therefore got accepted as the standard.

You can't claim that there isn't a milspec for the M110 SASS, but as there's no second source providers, the TDP is essentially Knight's secret. Knight's IS the milspec for the M110 system though.

Edited by FaRKle!

• 3 years later...

In my search for a shorty 308 carbine buffer, I purchased that KAK shorty 5.3 ounce(8ne is actually 5.12). Aside from making one, this seemed like a reasonably priced option (50 bucks).

I just found out that KAW Valley Precision has one that's advertised at 5.6 ounce, regular MSRP is 59.95, but I originally found it at Joe Bob outfitters for 44.95. Joe Bob's didn't list AOL, but the specs at KAW Valley show 2.5".

Seems like a good priced alternative.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-AR-10-308-Tungsten-Carbine-Bu-p/kvp-ar10-5.6.htm

Edited by CRracer912

36 minutes ago, CRracer912 said:

In my search for a shorty 308 carbine buffer, I purchased that KAK shorty 5.3 ounce(8ne is actually 5.12). Aside from making one, this seemed like a reasonably priced option (50 bucks).

I just found out that KAW Valley Precision has one that's advertised at 5.6 ounce, regular MSRP is 59.95, but I originally found it at Joe Bob outfitters for 44.95. Joe Bob's didn't list AOL, but the specs at KAW Valley show 2.5".

Seems like a good priced alternative.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-AR-10-308-Tungsten-Carbine-Bu-p/kvp-ar10-5.6.htm

It is Very difficult to exceed 5.3oz in the shorty Buffer. Not impossible, just requires some special attention to detail 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

Crazy how different these are even though they are both made for a 308ar.

I would like to know the internal depth (at the top of the extension) on that Aero receiver extension. The only one that I've ever had from them was 7.100" internal depth, for their M5-labeled kit, and it caused me all kind of functional problems, before I traced it to that...

• 3 months later...
On 10/4/2010 at 3:55 PM, Robocop1051 said:

What is the difference between the 5.56 and the 7.62? I'm asking because I'm in the middle of my 7.62 build and I have a lot of 5.56 parts laying around.

I'm pretty sure the Buffer Tube is the same, and I can assume the Buffer Spring in the 5.56 is weaker than the 7.62 (but I'm not sure)... and I have no idea about the difference in the actual Buffers.

Wow! Just wow!! Look at where we’ve come in 9 years. I went from asking LOTS of questions, to owning my own rifle company... because of you guys!!!