• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS 308 SASS Barrel and Gas Block Issue

• 3 weeks later...

I have that JPVTAC on my build, as you have seen.  I must have the new upper receiver, as the rail that is mounted on top of the tube is just slightly lower than the rail on the upper receiver?

I think they lowered the one on the newer DPMS upper receiver & the hand guard rail should be higher than the receiver rail.

Did you put the lower rail height on the VTac?

They make two Heights .1/4 & 3/8 ,I believe.

I got my rail for my VTac from Brownells.

• 5 months later...

MAJOR UPDATE

JP enterprises JPGS-8 adjustable gas block DOES fit the SASS barrel. At the very edge of the shoulder the gas tube hits for .03 in. I took a fine file and remove .002 which appeared to simply be the park on the barrel and hit it with some bluing i had laying around. It will fit under the JP tube, but not the sass factory tube. A lot of folks looked at pictures and said that it will not work. I ordered it and tried it to see for myself.

• 4 months later...

Anyone try making the SASS GB adjustable?

Here is my plan:

Drill a hole through the gas block (either on the side or the front) to the gas port between the gas tub & barrel.  Tap the hole & insert a set screw.

I'm pretty cheap, so I try jerry-rigging stuff first.  Sometimes it ends up costing me in the long run though.

What your describing is exactly what PRI does with their lowpro adjustable gas block, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. They tell you to adjust it and then locktite the set screw in place once you've found the correct adjustment. For added security, I milled a small flat around the screw hole and installed a longer set screw with a nut that I can tighten against the side of the GB to keep the screw from moving, so far it's still there.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I don't see that an answer was ever posted as to the difference between the PRI .936 gas block and the DPMS SASS gas block measurement. I see that Doc posted that the DPMS has .125" space betwwen the two bores, If it's of use to anyone, the space between the .936 bore and the gas tube bore on the PRI is .065"

• 2 years later...

Like the man said, "this is an older thread" (REALLY 'older' now).  I was eye-balling one of those DPMS barrels and do not see why a SLR http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_103_105&product_id=127 adjustable block would not work fine.  Visibly it has more clearance between the barrel and the bottom of the gas tube than the DPMS they suggest.  Those SLR adjustable blocks are the cat's meow!

BY the way, How does the DPMS 18" SASS  bull barrel shoot for accuracy.  That would be an indication IF it was worthwhile to tinker with.