• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

mega now offering 308 barrels

racerken70

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I put an 18" mega on my dpms build . I used a hardened arms BCG . Headspace is fine. I can't give you moa ratings yet. Due to my scope still being in the mail. But I've been very impressed with the accuracy . At 100 yds on open sights with the bipod I'm hitting 2" groups. I'll give a more accurate review later when scope arrives. The finish is very impressive. I Picked up on memorial day sale for 230.00

• 5 months later...

Word on the street is Bergara barrels.  I picked up a 16" one and am happy so far.  Here's a review I did on it: http://northwestexpeditions.blogspot.com/2014/03/mega-308-barrel-review.html

I've wondered about that. Bergara is well known for match-grade barrels.

On the other hand, Mega's site and that of the two sites I've found that carry Mega's barrels carry the following message: "Manufactured under the strict supervision of Mega Arms." Normally, a message like that sets a red flag for me: "manufactured WHERE? China? Philippines?"

I can't imagine Bergara needing (or even allowing)  outside "strict supervision" of their production. Then again, maybe the message is just marketing hype.

Mega doesn't outsource to overseas countries.  They're as American as it gets, with all their stuff. 

Well, I guess that would also disqualify Bergara (Spain), too, wouldn't it?

It still leaves the question who makes their barrels?  Or, at least, who has some solid experience with their AR barrels?  For the price - $210 - I don't mind 2 < 1 MOA, but I'd like to know if they can deliver that consistently, barrel to barrel.

Talking about cheap labor from cheap countries, man.  Don't get riled up about it.

Seems like you're looking for a way to discredit Mega.  Maybe you should learn more about Mega.

That's just the point, I have been trying to learn more about Mega. That's why I came to this thread, among other places. Net result?  Precisious little useful information - just like in post (#10).

They say their barrels are made "under the strict supervision ...", which translates as: someone else makes them. Who?  Are their barrels - priced about 70% of known decent barrels (e.g. Rainier) - any good?  If you have personal experience with them, fine - tell me. If not, you're engaging in so much hand-waving.

That's just the point, I have been trying to learn more about Mega. That's why I came to this thread, among other places. Net result?  Precisious little useful information - just like in post (#10).

They say their barrels are made "under the strict supervision ...", which translates as: someone else makes them. Who?  Are their barrels - priced about 70% of known decent barrels (e.g. Rainier) - any good?  If you have personal experience with them, fine - tell me. If not, you're engaging in so much hand-waving.

You need to step down of your highhorse a little bit, man.  Don't bring a bull$hit attitude. 

I can guarantee you this - Mega isn't having any barrels "made with supervision" in China or the PI. 

Maybe you should call Mega and talk to them, if it's got you so bothered.  Once you have your information, come back in here and post up all your newly-gained useful information that you seek so bad.

You need to step down of your highhorse a little bit, man.  Don't bring a bull$hit attitude. 

Um, and just WHO has the attitude?  It wasn't me that started with the vulgar language. And you resort to it often, it appears. 

Moreover, I'm still waiting to see an entry on this board where you actually offered any useful information to anyone. The more I read, the more surprised I expect to be, should I actually find one.

It appears no one here knows for sure who makes their barrels & if they do , they are keeping it to them selfs. One thing I do know is ,really  good Barrels are not inexpensive, just the way it is & you get what you pay for .

If you are unsure who makes it & concerned about the quality or length of service life , find another . Bantering back & forth is accomplishing nothing . 

Um, and just WHO has the attitude?  It wasn't me that started with the vulgar language. And you resort to it often, it appears. 

Moreover, I'm still waiting to see an entry on this board where you actually offered any useful information to anyone. The more I read, the more surprised I expect to be, should I actually find one.

Then you should probably go back and read this thread again.  As I said earlier - reading comprehension.

Enjoy your stay here - I don't think we'll have much time to chat with you, like this...

• 1 year later...

If you mean a 16 inch rifle length gas system then yes. 

http://criterionbarrels.com/barrels/.308_AR/ar-10-hybrid

You can special order from X-Caliber.............better tell them what size gas port though.

Thank you.  What would be the proper gas port size?  I considered doing one with a faux FSGB using a separate low profile gas block over the actual port.

I got to .1005" before my rifle would function with whatever I put in it. I'm sure this will depend on the rest of the components used. If your going with a FSGB and standard midlength gas system then the number would change, plenty of good factory barrels to choose from in midlength but not sure what profile you would need to mount the sight.

Thanks again.  Although I've never seen the Colt version, I understand they used the rifle length (20") gas tube, however others have typically used the carbine length gas system and simply mounted the A2 gas block a certain distance back form the muzzle.  Of course the A2 FSGB functioned as a sight only, which is what I'm looking in to doing.

I've heard there were lots of problems with the rifle-length system so this has sort of become the "norm" for the dissipator.