• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I shoot the dpms sass. With the 1/10 twist I've stuck with 175 grain. While I reload for all my weapons I like to try what's considered the most accurate factory ammo to compare my loads. I've shot federal GMM in 175 gr. Black hills in 175 grain. Hornady super p in 178 grain and American ballistics ml118lr in 175 grain. In my rifle the federal GMM always came in first, but all was fairly accurate keeping under 1 " when I do my part. I use bipod and small bag for support under my wrist. Would do better with full bench rest but I try to keep it real with this weapon. I've also shot privi and a couple others but they didn't come close. My reloads do much better, but the question was about factory loads. While the hornady super performance in 178 grain comes in third behind fed GMM and black hills in accuracy for me, it was the only one to break 2600 fps in my 18" barrel. That is considered somewhat of a standard velocity most 175 gr try to hold to. In a bolt sniper rifle that is. So with the hornady you can obtain close to the expected bolt rifle velocities of standard ammo in a 18 inch barrel. But like I said I lost some accuracy.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

As this thread has been resurrected, recently I tried some HSM (Hunting Shack Munitions) 168 gr BTHP Molybendum coated ammo I had purchased during the hoarding craze two years ago. In both my AR10 rifle ( 1 in 11.25 twist) and my AR10T carbine ( 1 in 10 twist) it is shooting in the .sub MOA range. Best guess average .8 MOA . Unfortunately I believe it is discontinued.

• 2 years later...

Now here is another twist on it, excuse the pun, 

Considering the brands and bullet weights above,

Im also interested in what you guys feel is the best overall most universal type of ammo or bullet preference.

If you could only keep one type on hand, FMJ, Hollow point, BoatTail, armor piercing with steel insert etc etc.

would it be? In my AR 556 stuff, I have gone to amost exclusily keeping 62 grain greeen tip on hand.

But for the 308/7.62 platform, there is more potential and I'd like to have something that expands in flesh, but also has some of the armor piercing deep penetrating characteristics of the green tip.

what are your thoughts, ?