• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

blue builds a dissy.

blue109

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly bought this barrel to slap a rifle together to sell. Turned into another keeper.

<laughs>

I've just gotten to the point where the lie I tell myself is "I'd probably better get one of those also...you know, so I can supply arms to friends and neighbors in the revolution.  See?  We NEED another safe, Honey!"

:bat:   <<<< Honey

• 1 month later...

So...brownells seems to have hired doc brown in the shipping department, or possibly just rebranded the flux capacitor. Got my short brake today. Its.......short. Not sure if im feeling it. It doesn't quite butt up against the shoulder. I can chop it a little, or add a shim I suppose.

post-12215-0-81664900-1379795607_thumb.j

post-12215-0-53278800-1379795705_thumb.j

Edited by blue109

• 2 months later...

For some reason I just didn't like the way that comp looked. Never fired it. Sold it to a buddy and just have a birdcage on there for now. Probably stick a vortex or aac FH on there at some point. Just using standard buffers in all my guns. Havnt found any reason to replace them yet.

One thing about that comp...it wouldn't flush up to the shoulder of the barrel. Either had to use a shim, a crush washer, or deal with the gap. I think any .75OD muzzle device should be able to close the gap.

• 2 months later...

Took my buddy's out for the first time today. Wanted to give it a good shakedown. I built this for him as payment for a cage he built on my Yamaha Rhino.

Long story short...she don't like tulammo at ALL. Couldn't pick up a second round at all. Occasional failure to eject even.

Running xm855 she did a lot better. Had her actually making it all the way through 10 round mags up until the end. Last mag of the day she would eat a couple and then hang up with a live one half jammed into the chamber. Probably put 150 through her. Got rid of the steel stuff. Going to clean her up and take her out again. Delton 16" dissy barrel, standard car buffer/spring. With the 855 she would lock back on empty 85% of the time. She might just need a little more breaking in, but any thoughts on things to try for the next trip?

post-11192-0-87266600-1391381671_thumb.j

Mine runs flawless and smooth as butter on brass. I tried it with herters steel that day at the range. The first shot stuck in the chamber and I had to morter it out. Pulled the mag and burnt in in the SPR instead.

The dissy I built for my father and law has no problem with steel and I used the same barrel. Might try to polish chamber up in mine to see if it helps.

Been wanting to put my A1 stock on the dissy for a while. Shoots super soft as is, so why not make it softer Amitie! I needed an extension, so I just took a shot and tossed a request up on Facebook. In about 5 min, one of my wives old Co workers messages me and said he had an old bushy A2 setup complete I could have for free ninety free. I go over to his house, and guess what it came off of? OG baby!

post-12215-0-58543100-1392154694_thumb.j

Took my buddy's out for the first time today. Wanted to give it a good shakedown. I built this for him as payment for a cage he built on my Yamaha Rhino.

Long story short...she don't like tulammo at ALL. Couldn't pick up a second round at all. Occasional failure to eject even.

Running xm855 she did a lot better. Had her actually making it all the way through 10 round mags up until the end. Last mag of the day she would eat a couple and then hang up with a live one half jammed into the chamber. Probably put 150 through her. Got rid of the steel stuff. Going to clean her up and take her out again. Delton 16" dissy barrel, standard car buffer/spring. With the 855 she would lock back on empty 85% of the time. She might just need a little more breaking in, but any thoughts on things to try for the next trip?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yeah, this one is rifle gas. We will shake out the issue with it.

REAL Dissipator!!!  :hail:

Brother, gas port size.  Check that thing, next chance you get to see him and get it to the range.

Single round in the mag, lock back test.  Varying ammo.  Report results. 

I'm thinking the gas port needs some drilling out - and he's got the tools to measure it, and drill it.  No kidding, that's it.

Right on. Yeah, we gave her the one round test. The steel cases would not lock back. My brass would when the gun was well lubed. Hell, she made it through a couple 10 round mags and even locked back at the end of them, but that was only right after applying more lube. The steel...sometimes wouldn't even extract. And every time would not pick up the next round. I will have to get him to check the gas port. GB is pinned, so that will make it more fun. I will start a new thread next time we take it out.

I ran some Herters steel case .223 Rem.  Once.  That $hit was so weak it wouldn't even cycle a perfectly functional rifle.  I think I saw it cheap, grabbed a hundred rounds (in 20-rd boxes).  When the rifle wouldn't get through a single box, I gave the rest of it away. 

If it was Herters you guys were shooting, I wouldn't doubt the results. 

I still suspect the gas port size - that's some tricky $hit on a real Dissipator, man.  It's gotta be spot-on to run those guns all the time.  I honestly think it's to small.  Drill up in one-step increments (what a PITA with a pinned gas block). You gotta drill, get out and shoot and test, fail possibly, go home, drill again once more, get out and shoo....  Aaaah, you get it.

I do have a range I found closer to my house.  Road trip with suspected firearm, tools go to the range, work performed on-site...

I'm just sayin'...  <dontknow>