• Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Something I have neglected to do yet. What is a good brand or should I just get a dedicated AR like the M&P 22? These grandkids can put a serious dent in the 5.56 stash!

You can check GB and even E-bay.  It's basically an adapter package that can go is any AR15.  Package usually includes the BCG replacement unit and adapter mag.

Just Google "USAF .22 adapter" and you'll get all kinds of hits.  

I'm sure Primary Arms, DSG Sales, CDNN Sales, JSE Surplus, and your favorite ammo place Midway ? will sell what you need in a package deal.

Unless of course you want to buy a dedicated weapon the adapter is the way to go as I'm told.  Most 1-9" twist (and slower) AR15 barrels are perfect.

Edited by GRA

9 minutes ago, GRA said:

Unless of course you want to buy a dedicated weapon

I think I want something dedicated. I have read enough to know I don't want to deal with cleaning the gas port on a 5.56 upper and want a better twist. If it ain't real accurate then the kids won't have near the fun.

15 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

I think I want something dedicated. I have read enough to know I don't want to deal with cleaning the gas port on a 5.56 upper and want a better twist. If it ain't real accurate then the kids won't have near the fun.

I suggest CDNN Sports.  They did have some AR15(s) in .22 rimfire for a while.

https://www.cdnnsports.com 

Here you go ... it's a Colt even: https://www.cdnnsports.com/colt-m4-carbine-22lr.html?___SID=U

Edited by GRA

Watch out for some of those dedicated guns, with proprietary parts.  It depends on how far you want to go, really.  I know that Battle Arms Dev makes a safety selector for the S&W M&P 15/22, because the factory safety is quite different than an AR15 part.  Just an example.

Mine is just a CMMG adapter, OLD, OLD, OLD...  I think I bought that thing in 2009, at a Virginia gun show.  It was phosphated, and it took awhile to "break in" and cycle right. I've heard that the NiB ones don't need that, and cycle fine right out of the box.  I ended up leaving it in my Oly Arms PCR-16, for good.  That's my dedicated .22LR AR now.

This is mine, picked it up with a mag for $125, then bought two extra mags at $20 ea.  Wasn't bad for gun-show prices in 2009-ish.

xcmmg22conv.jpg

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

I think I want something dedicated. I have read enough to know I don't want to deal with cleaning the gas port on a 5.56 upper and want a better twist.

1:9" twist is fine with the 40gr round nose .22LR ammo. It'll do just fine.  Cleaning them is easy as hell, too - at the end of the range trip, pop out the .22LR BCG, slap the 5.56 BCG back in there and let go with about 5 rounds - that will remove all the leading from the gas port, with a quickness.  Voila,cleaned.  Leading removed.

This is the design that's supposed to be the sheit, right here:

60999_1.jpg

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/60999/Accessories/Conversion+Kits/CMMG+22BA6E1+AR-15+22LR+25RD+Bravo+Conversion+Kit

If you wanted to get REALLY freaky with it, you could buy a 1:12" twist barrel for it, or even a 1:16" barrel, and make a dedicated gun.  If you already have an AR that you don't shoot much, get that kit, a slow-twist barrel, and bam, done.  Good 22AR, right there.  All real AR15 parts, no weird shiit, and you can still stuff a 5.56 round through it with a BCG change.

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...

Im a fan of the Rock island! bro has one and first thing he did was swap the grips..

parts and more parts including a complet psa 10.5" upper kit. in .223/556 its been calling my name for 3 months. 260$ shipped.  cobrien sold me some sig breaks awhile ago and i had the 1/2x28 sitting idle.. had to build around parts, sickness!!  

2 hours ago, sketch said:

...had to build around parts, sickness!!  

You have no idea, bro.  No idea. I built a fucking gun because I had a spare gas tube roll pin...

It's documented somewhere here, when it all went down.  It was fucking stupid, and there's an OLD thread on it.

I cured myself of that bullshiit, though, and bought a dozen gas tube roll pins - just to prove it to myself.

A few years ago, some anonymous bastard shipped me a bulk order of MagPul aluminum trigger guards.  I didn't know where they came from, they just fucking showed up on my PO Box.  - Out of nowhere.  Nobody ever admitted to it.  Those fuckers spawned some rifles, all on their own.

"Sickness" doesn't even scratch the surface, especially when people are ambushing you with parts, that you had no idea about...   It's assinine... 

You guys are too funny. I have almost all that coming in the mail right now; just didn't want to mention it on a 308 board. .22lr bolt got lost today, but will be here tomorrow. 

The CMMG .22lr conversion was $159 at Primary Arms with three mags over the weekend. Picked up another one of those Ceratac AR-15 kits too; to dedicate to the .22 bolt, as well as the AR-308 we have been spit balling about. Bought the cheapest AR-15 kit with plans to swap out the barrel anyway. I want to be able to shoot lighter bullets as its tough to find .223/5.56 at retail above  55 grain. Here in NY we pay the FFL fee just to order ammo online (and then pick it up in store). Doesn't make sense to buy less than 1,000; even then, why not buy 10,000 if you have to pay the middle man too?

Best to buy all the parts in the mail, and shop around locally for ammo where it's cheap. Don't even get me started on what features we have to cut off our rifles if they cycle semi-auto.

Not sure where else to ask about this; not much going on in Rimfire. 

I got my CMMG conversion kit for .22LR and haven't tried it yet. I wanted to dedicate it to a new upper and barrel in the end. I noticed that the cotter pin tail for the firing pin sticks out the side of the bolt and has sharp tips. I think there is clearance inside the upper but I don't dare mate it with anything else I have on hand at the moment. If anyone wants to look at theirs and take pictures, or play with it and report back I would appreciate it. I just don't want to start off on the wrong foot. I'm not sure mine would clear the back side of the upper as it sticks out pretty far.

Is the general consensus to run this wet with oil, or do I want to avoid oil too far forward in the firearm? I'm planning to buy a whole new barrel later so I'll take suggestions in that respect too. Just want to shoot .22 out of a basic AR-15 build (that also looks dumb because I live in NY). 

It seems like people have at least read my earlier posts, so I'll answer my own question and provide a picture. This is a macro photo of the CMMG bolt carrier group with the offending cotter pin tails marked. I can actually make it stick out further if I press the other end in tight. I have simply never seen another BCG that had protrusions like this. 

After fitting it, and carefully inspecting the operation inside a new upper, it does not seem to interfere but it is quite close. I would estimate less than 1mm between it and the inside of the upper receiver. It can be seen entering the upper receiver through the ejection port when cycling the bolt.

And; unfortunately they sent an extra gas tube roll pin with my last order. One packaged with the gas tube, and another one with the gas block... 

IMG_3108 2.jpg

Ray...that's not on order or in the mail.  Maybe we need a lost and found thread. 

Edit to add- still a good find. Congrats. Now your wife's birthday present to you is ruined. She never thought you'd look near your work boots. 

Edited by DNP

10 hours ago, Lane said:

It seems like people have at least read my earlier posts, so I'll answer my own question and provide a picture. This is a macro photo of the CMMG bolt carrier group with the offending cotter pin tails marked. I can actually make it stick out further if I press the other end in tight. I have simply never seen another BCG that had protrusions like this. 

After fitting it, and carefully inspecting the operation inside a new upper, it does not seem to interfere but it is quite close. I would estimate less than 1mm between it and the inside of the upper receiver. It can be seen entering the upper receiver through the ejection port when cycling the bolt.

And; unfortunately they sent an extra gas tube roll pin with my last order. One packaged with the gas tube, and another one with the gas block... 

IMG_3108 2.jpg

You might have better success starting a new thread

12 hours ago, DNP said:

Ray...that's not on order or in the mail.  Maybe we need a lost and found thread. 

Edit to add- still a good find. Congrats. Now your wife's birthday present to you is ruined. She never thought you'd look near your work boots. 

hahaha harsh!

my psa pistol upper landed today. plus 2 more mbt triggers and some s&b sub sonic .308. gotta see if its quiet ? 

22 hours ago, Lane said:

IMG_3108 2.jpg

Cut the ends off the cotterpin.  The protruding part is not important for function, in any way.  Chop 'em.  Push the pin all the way in there, fully seated, estimate how much is sticking out and that you need to lose, remove the pin, and take the dykes to it.  :thumbup: