• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

14 hours ago, Sisco said:

I admired him and was scared of him at the same time.

Those types have been my best teachers - "If I don't listen to what he's saying right now, he's either gonna kill me, or I will die from it later...  Fucking PAY ATTENTION!!!"

No kidding.  The risk of possible mortality really makes lessons stick in your memory.  Army-wise, they call that "High-Risk Training." Where I worked, it was everyday shiit, literally.  Fuk me, do a risk assessment, and everything was high risk.  It gets mentally scary with you realize that the certain "high risk" event/s is/are boring, and you do it all the time...  What is even worse than that, is taking your training, and trying to figure out more that you can add to it - and make it even "high-ER risk?!"  It's pretty freaky to have that kind of mental outlook dawn on you, but it's even worse to come to the realization that you thrive on that stuff.  It turns you into an adrenaline junkie, and you're looking for the next fix, or the next thing... and you never come back from that.  That MUST be the reason now, for my Crazy Blonde Psychosis.  I gotta have something around that's gonna kill me, at any moment, or it's just no fun...

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

It is generally best to avoid trauma to the eye of any kind.

I had to fix that one for ya, Doc...  :banana::lmao:

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ruger 10/45 threded 4.5 pistol. micro approved!  done with the s&w compact issues. need a reliable foundation for the can.. no ill to s&w mp .22 compact but it locks up alot and take down is a biotch when carbon/ thread adapter is involved. I have to clean 2 times gun and can. I hate cleaning..

49 minutes ago, Boot_Scraper said:

30"!! I don't think my entire rifle is that long. 

I had to go that long because I want to reach out a ways!! Plus, as I found out today, the MAGPUL Hunter 700L stock limits me on barrel profiles to fit that stock so going longer makes up for having to go smaller diameter on the profile. Wishing now I had known that before I bought the stock. Live and learn, right??!!!

4 hours ago, suzukiray said:

I had to go that long because I want to reach out a ways!! Plus, as I found out today, the MAGPUL Hunter 700L stock limits me on barrel profiles to fit that stock so going longer makes up for having to go smaller diameter on the profile. Wishing now I had known that before I bought the stock. Live and learn, right??!!!

What diameter barrel are you trying to fit in this thing, that the MagPul stock won't fit?...

Reason I ask is...this Rem heavy barrel fits in a MagPul stock, no issues.

image.thumb.png.13c8459a37cbb03bedb11ce047530134.png

Edited by 98Z5V

The "Heavy Varmint" profile won't fit the Hunter stock. So, Mike at Kreiger said they will do the biggest Varmint profile they can from the barrel flange groove to the end of the stock and then the barrel will stay that size where the taper reaches the end of the stock, instead of tapering down more. He also told me they don't do the chamber finishing or threading so it will have to go to someone still after they make the barrel. I will also have to get it ceracoted as I dont want the stainless for the barrel finish. FDE is the color I am doing this one in.

I was also surprised when the A2 stripped upper I forgot I'd ordered arrived today!! It will go on a walnut wood finished replica. I like the look of walnut and as a finish carpenter I've always wanted to do one in wood. The tiny roll pin that holds the rear sight adjuster dial on was FUN to.get in place, short little bastage!!!!

Edited by suzukiray

5 minutes ago, suzukiray said:

Tom, who should I look at to get the bolt for this 700?

Damn, I'd take Krieger's recommendation on that, brother.  Seriously.  With what you're building, I'd ask them first. 

You're building this from the ground up, completely, it seems.  See what Krieger says about that one.  For real. 

What action?

5 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

I look forward to seeing your wood working skills brother. I was never a finess kinda guy.

I have the tedious mentality that made me drift towards that along with head porting and engine building. Both trades require the attention to detail that keep me from getting bored quickly. I have the patience to enjoy both types of work. For this one I'm going to order the stock and heat shield to look at them to see what's involved first.

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Damn, I'd take Krieger's recommendation on that, brother.  Seriously.  With what you're building, I'd ask them first. 

You're building this from the ground up, completely, it seems.  See what Krieger says about that one.  For real. 

What action?

I guess I will call Mike at Kreiger again tomorrow then. Since this IS my first 700, that's why I have all the questions. This one will be my second rifle in .338 Lapua and have decided to stick with only the calibers I already have now to not have so many different sizes, less issues with ammo mix ups. 

I've come the the conclusion that .22, .223, .308, .338 and .458 are enough different rifle calibers for me.

Projectile weight will make a big difference, even with a 30" barrel.  What load are you shooting?  Supersonic/subsonic has alot to play with this one.  I found that out with hand loading them.

Edited by 98Z5V

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Projectile weight will make a big difference, even with a 30" barrel.  What load are you shooting?  Supersonic/subsonic has alot to play with this one.  I found that out with hand loading them.

300 grain Federal Premium Gold Medal rounds to start with, to see what happens.