• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magpul MOE Handguards. Questions and Thoughts?

Heyo!

New poster and long time lurker and I have a question as I start out to build my first LR-308.  Does anyone have any experience using the magpul MOE handguards on their LR-308's or AR15s?

Specifically, I'm curious as to how stable they are and how well they perform as a mounting platform.  I don't trust free float barrels and I don't need NEARLY that much rail to do what I need it to do but I'd still like a rifle that can hold zero. Any input that you can give me would be more than welcome.

I had MOE handguards on my AR-15 but the way I grip the gun (thumb over top) didn't fit well with the handguards. Since they have a sloped in top section with the widest portion in the lower 1/4 of the handguard, there wasn't enough material on the side of the handguards to fill the contour of my palm. This led to hand fatigue quicker.

+1 for full float handguards for better overall performance, accuracy, mounting etc. Depending on which float tube you get, the rigidity of the float system is surprisingly solid. I guess it's the perception that it is "floating" that makes you feel otherwise.

Not sure why you'd want to go MOE since they are a step down from the full float counterparts..... and besides you can get one with a removeable top rail if you don't need it.

P.S. I have an extra ACS-L stock for sale if anyone's interested.

Edited by shibiwan

Greh... Aaaaaand, my hard drive died.

To answer the question, I distrust free-floating due to the fact that it offers no protection should you strike the exposed portion of the barrel against something or trip and put it into the dirt. I know we pride ourselves on our ability to handle a firearm but, well, things happen. Non-float handguards lend rigidity to the barrel assembly in the same way that flying buttresses prop up the walls of a cathedral, making the barrel less vulnerable to being bent, snapped or yanked out of place by such an impact.

As to my original question, how much play do the handguards themselves have? I do eventually plan to mount an IR laser and I would need that to hold zero.

Thanks for the warm welcome and unfortunately, I come to you from occupied territory: The people's republic of California.

Greh... Aaaaaand, my hard drive died.

SSD time!

I distrust free-floating due to the fact that it offers no protection should you strike the exposed portion of the barrel against something or trip and put it into the dirt. I know we pride ourselves on our ability to handle a firearm but, well, things happen. Non-float handguards lend rigidity to the barrel assembly in the same way that flying buttresses prop up the walls of a cathedral, making the barrel less vulnerable to being bent, snapped or yanked out of place by such an impact.

So you plan on taking this rifle with you to war very soon to club some tangos? As practical as you make it sound, it isn't practical to sacrifice daily accuracy and precision for the <1% case that you manage to bump the rifle so damn hard that the barrel gets that bent... Long FF rails will cover more of the barrel and protect it more.

I could definitely affect the POI on my carbine with the MOE handguards by manipulating the sling.

So you plan on taking this rifle with you to war very soon to club some tangos? As practical as you make it sound, it isn't practical to sacrifice daily accuracy and precision for the <1% case that you manage to bump the rifle so damn hard that the barrel gets that bent... Long FF rails will cover more of the barrel and protect it more.

Maybe the OP is a juggler?

IMO regular handguards do nothing to strengthen the barrel since they are merely plastic pieces clipped on to the barrel and held by the delta ring. Barrels are surprisingly strong. If you hit the barrel hard enough to damage it, you'll have other problems on the rifle to worry about.

-S

Edited by shibiwan

• 1 year later...

? You the same person? Answer has nothing to do with reliability. 

May not in your opinion but I've never had any problems with the original style hand guards which is what I mostly prefer to build with and use for my personal weapons.  I simply don't prefer quadrails and the reason is weight.

May not in your opinion but I've never had any problems with the original style hand guards which is what I mostly prefer to build with and use for my personal weapons.  I simply don't prefer quadrails and the reason is weight.

And I quote shibiwan from the first page because his analysis nails it, "IMO regular handguards do nothing to strengthen the barrel since they are merely plastic pieces clipped on to the barrel and held by the delta ring. Barrels are surprisingly strong. If you hit the barrel hard enough to damage it, you'll have other problems on the rifle to worry about."

But I do agree about saving weight to an extent, there are to many variables with different builds. Me personally I don't shoot three gun or etc,  so I don't mind a heavier piece.

Edited by george_995