• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magpul MOE Handguards. Questions and Thoughts?

The m110 has been doing pretty good for some time overseas, as well as the lmt 308mrp in which is used by the british. Both being free floated systems.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=498863&page=18

http://i28.tinypic.com/2w3orqa.jpg

http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/c/images/2014/09/22/363629/size0.jpg

Edited by george_995

I don't particularly like or want rails and I'm not going to build with them.  I personally prefer the hand guards and that is what I am going to build with.  I can care less about the pro(s) and con(s) arguments.

When you spend the amount of money we have to spend these days for these firearms what really matters the most is that YOU get exactly what you want.

FWIW ... here's a response I just got back from Faxon regarding their barrels;

Glenn-

Yes, our barrels are standard lengths for common hand guards (carbine, mid, rifle). 

Yes, any .308 barrel can safely fire 7.62 NATO. .308 is rated for higher pressures than 7.62. 

Have a great weekend!

NOTE: Moderators if this would serve everybody better by being in another thread please move.  I'm still new here and don't know yet what threads are available.  Thanks !!! 

Preach to the choir much? lol

I prefer too many damn setups(current project being a A2 20") to be honest. "Welcome to poverty" as many would say on here.

It's not a poverty issue ... LOL ... I simply don't like the concept of mounting the whole tool box to the front of a weapon.  I don't need a light below, a laser on this side and a Garmin on the other side with numerous optic goodies on top. 

I prefer to design and build something that fits my personal ergonomics, can carry/wear with less fatigue, and allows me to be the most accurate as possible.  One optic on top and maybe a hand piece on the bottom and that is it.  I'm from the days of using the M16A1 basic sight picture and it's sling to steady the weapon.  If I need a bipod the old metal spring-loaded folding piece that clamps to the barrel inside the A2 sight post bottom gap is just fine.  I'm still comfortable with all that and I even use the sling with my longrifles when deer hunting.

The new trends are fine if that is what a shooter prefers to outfit themselves but I really don't need all that to get a good shot off.  I've never been one to keep up with the models on the magazine covers.  I find something that works and I stick with it.

It's not a poverty issue ... LOL ... I simply don't like the concept of mounting the whole tool box to the front of a weapon.  I don't need a light below, a laser on this side and a Garmin on the other side with numerous optic goodies on top. 

I prefer to design and build something that fits my personal ergonomics, can carry/wear with less fatigue, and allows me to be the most accurate as possible.  One optic on top and maybe a hand piece on the bottom and that is it.  I'm from the days of using the M16A1 basic sight picture and it's sling to steady the weapon.  If I need a bipod the old metal spring-loaded folding piece that clamps to the barrel inside the A2 sight post bottom gap is just fine.  I'm still comfortable with all that and I even use the sling with my longrifles when deer hunting.

The new trends are fine if that is what a shooter prefers to outfit themselves but I really don't need all that to get a good shot off.  I've never been one to keep up with the models on the magazine covers.  I find something that works and I stick with it.

This is why most go to to the free float Hand Guards over the A2 type . They all don't have rails on them & the most of the ones that don't , you can add any size you want , if you want .

Than why the heck did you resurrect a 2 year old thread? Just so everyone knows your opinion on a part and that you don't care about what anyone else thinks?

I think you might want to read all that again.  You're not even close.

Alright, I'll give it a whack, since you say he wasn't even close.

Very simple; Weight !!! 

May not in your opinion but I've never had any problems with the original style hand guards which is what I mostly prefer to build with and use for my personal weapons.  I simply don't prefer quadrails and the reason is weight.

You realize, that there's plenty of FF handguards out there that are pretty damn light don't you?

Exactly.  If your primary argument is weight, then you freefloat it with a single-rail tube.  MUCH lighter than plastic handguards, delta ring assembly, endcap.  MUCH lighter.  Since weight is your primary argument.

I don't particularly like or want rails and I'm not going to build with them.  I personally prefer the hand guards and that is what I am going to build with.  I can care less about the pro(s) and con(s) arguments.

When you spend the amount of money we have to spend these days for these firearms what really matters the most is that YOU get exactly what you want.

It's pretty obvious that you could care less bout any pros and cons, and don't want to hear what anyone else has to say.  You've formed your opinion on (probably) a few different things.  Probably a lack of research, bull$hit old re-told stories from people, a lack of understanding of the parts you're talking about, or just being close-minded bout it all.  YOU think you know everything about it, and don't want to hear from anybody else one the subject.  However, you'll spout your opinion - just don't want anybody else to give their opinion.  Doesn't really work that way here.

FWIW ... here's a response I just got back from Faxon regarding their barrels;

Glenn-

Yes, our barrels are standard lengths for common hand guards (carbine, mid, rifle). 

Yes, any .308 barrel can safely fire 7.62 NATO. .308 is rated for higher pressures than 7.62. 

Have a great weekend!

NOTE: Moderators if this would serve everybody better by being in another thread please move.  I'm still new here and don't know yet what threads are available.  Thanks !!! 

Where do you think this needs to be moved to?  WHY would you think this needs to be moved?  Do you think this is new, ground-breaking information, and you're revealing it for the first time? 

This is the same thing we've been saying here FOR YEARS.  Thanks for the Hot Tip on it, though.  Appreciate ya. <thumbsup>

I prefer to design and build something that fits my personal ergonomics, can carry/wear with less fatigue, and allows me to be the most accurate as possible...

...I'm still comfortable with all that and I even use the sling with my longrifles when deer hunting.

This post from you was my favorite...   <lmao>

First, you've now changed from "weight" being the biggest detractor (which is VERY innacurate, if you'd educate yourself)...  Now, your thing is accuracy.  Again, you need to educate yourself.  You'll be far more accurate with a rail system of some sort than you will be with a snap-in handguard system.  Everything you grip or touch that rifle - ESPECIALLY when you sling up - you influence that barrel, and change your point of impact.  That won't happen with a rail system of some sort - your grip, sling,etc., don't influence the barrel in the same way. 

Second - your deer hunting comment.  Sling up tight with your handguard rifle, and you stand a much greater chance of missing your prized deer - than if you were running a rail system of some sort.  Truth.

Finally, this isn't some new trend.  Rails and freefloat systems have been in use for a very, very long time.  Decades.  This isn't new and unproven - it's old, proved technology now, in 2015.  Railed carbines were issued in some military units in the early '90s.  Floated systems as well.  Run the math on that, for what you say is a "new trend..." 

Maybe you can take a minute, get educated, and open your mind.  You might learn something...

It is indeed fascinating that you spent so much time on this, yet to no avail.   <laughs>  <lmao>  <laughs>  <lmao>

I still won't use the rails and prefer the plastic hand guards.

Glad you're impressed with my posts on here.  By all means ... continue reading and enjoy.  <thumbsup>

It is indeed fascinating that you spent so much time on this, yet to no avail. <laughs> <lmao> <laughs> <lmao>

I still won't use the rails and prefer the plastic hand guards.

Glad you're impressed with my posts on here. By all means ... continue reading and enjoy. <thumbsup>

It might have been even quicker to just say from the start that you had your mind made up and weren't really seeking input, but to state your opinion. <dontknow>

In a 2 year old thread....answering a question that was directly asked to someone else...

But hey, guess we all know you like plastic handguards because they are lighter and more accurate than freefloated systems, and don't care if you are wrong. Good info.

• 2 weeks later...