• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

ETP and EPP (Enchanced take down pin and pivot pin)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^^ Yeah, yeah, yeah - excuses...  <dontknow>

Does anyone here - well, besides Roger and I - have these things in a rifle yet?  Bunch of SLACKERS!  :fawkdance:

Haven't even been back from Vegas for 3 hours, and they're in the rifle.  Come ON, Drew... 

Roger, I'd have both sets of pins in already, but Dawn Marie has confiscated the second set - HERS!  She insists that they will only go into your new lower.  Tell George "Thanks a lot..." for letting her fondle the prototype.  George is costing me money.  <lmao>

All you other guys need to get straight up off your asses and get your pins in already... 

I'll add more tomorrow.   <thumbsup>

post-7-0-59272100-1382427340_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-19234600-1382427355_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-23560400-1382427369_thumb.jpg

...get back, get everything out of the truck, get the boys away from us, get everything in the house, get everything upstairs, get the boys away from us again, show them pictures of the trip, tell them about the trip, tell them to get away from us again, THEN get the rifle out and put the pins in...

The time consuming part wasn't putting the pins in, or getting pictures.  I'm just sayin'...  <lmao>

Edited by 98Z5V

...get back, get everything out of the truck, get the boys away from us, get everything in the house, get everything upstairs, get the boys away from us again, show them pictures of the trip, tell them about the trip, tell them to get away from us again, THEN get the rifle out and put the pins in...

The time consuming part wasn't putting the pins in, or getting pictures.  I'm just sayin'...  <lmao>

<laughs>

Aahhh...the joys of parenting.  Teens.

Here's the beauty in the design of the BAD pins - this is what we have, when dealing with extended pins, and the BAD ASS ambi safety:

100_1148_zps4af73e59.jpg

100_1150_zps2d7dc23d.jpg

100_1151_zpsbf9e9979.jpg

I primarily use the ambi safety in a right-handed manner - off safe with my thumb, left side lever, but back on safe with my right index finger, right side lever - just sweep the trigger finger up.  The extended pins in there now don't affect that much.  When firing left handed, taking it off safe with my left thumb can be a challenge.  Definitely takes practice, just because of the close relationship between the safety lever and the extended takedown pin.  The pics above suck, but you get the idea.

Overhead view:

100_1153_zpsb47635c1.jpg

Installation is very easy, with the most difficult task being:  remove a castle nut that's properly staked in place.  Muscle through that, and the install is fine.  If you run a lower that DOESN'T have the takedown pin hole threaded and tapped for a set-screw setup, you don't even have to remove the receiver extension - just loosen the castle nut, slide the receiver end plate off to the side a little, and remove spring, detent, and old take down pin.  Reverse for assembly.

If you DO run a lower with the set-screw mod, it's just easier to remove the complete stock assembly and receiver extension (don't let the buffer detent pin fly!!!).

All my lowers either came with the hole threaded for a set screw, or I drilled and tapped them for one.  This one is stripped and ready to work on:

100_1154_zpsba7be3a7.jpg

100_1156_zps9e2f312f.jpg

Out with the old parts...

100_1157_zpsa2f3d2ad.jpg

And the new parts that will go in...  Notice anything particular about them?  Think:  "magnet"

100_1158_zpsa2f8e426.jpg

Now, Roger's pins come with new precision-ground detents and new high-quality springs.  By including those parts with the pins, it eliminates the possibilities of someone just buying pins, using wornout detents of crap springs, then blaming faulty performance on the pin set - very smart move by BAD, and it also insures we get high quality parts packages - not just parts.  With the inclusion of these parts, if the pin kit doesn't work as advertised, then only problem part remaining, that could cause poor performance, is the machining of the lower itself.

If you're using the set-screw setup in your lower, you will still need to trim the spring that you use for the takedown pin.  Just trim off the same length of spring, as the set screw is long.  Simple.  If you DON'T do this, you'll have too much spring pressure on the takedown pin, making it hard to slide out.

100_1160_zps940f7a77.jpg

Insert takedown pin in receiver, then detent, then spring, then set screw if you're using it.  Reassemble receiver extension assembly and stock.  Don't forget to stake your castle nut.  My ASAP plate had been staked twice already, so I used a new one on this rifle, and stake the castle nut in place.  The old ASAP plate will go on a different rifle build.

Move to the front pivot pin.  Remove the old - easiest way is to extend it, push a piece of paperclip into the hole to depress the detent, then rotate the pin.  SLOWLY remove the pin with one hand, and use the other to catch the flying parts.  If not, they WILL fly.

Before, I talked about that magnet.  The side benefit of the magnet is not to keep all the parts in the package from flying all over when you open it - but, that's a nice benefit.  The magnet is included for pivot pin installation.

100_1159_zpsb1187593.jpg

The instruction are on the back of the packaging card.  The pivot pin has a machined groove in there just for this purpose.  Place the magnet 180 degrees opposite the pivot pin detent channel, stick the pivot pin to the channel, and use the pin to install the detent.  Push the detent in, then push the pin through.  TOO easy.

100_1164_zps6653399f.jpg

100_1163_zps0a7401bf.jpg

The new pins are also 30-thou longer (0.030").  When you push them free of the lower, it's just a little more length to ease in sliding them out.  I remember Roger telling me that, but I haven't seen it in print anywhere yet.  Smart machining choice that just makes life a little easier on use, as users.  The left side (installed) also has a machined detent in it, so you can use a tool, like a bullet tip, to get them moving on stubborn upper/lower combinations.  Very smart. 

The little details in this pin set is what makes the big difference.  Overall, I've never seen anything like them, and they work beautifully.

Kudos to Roger and George - again!  <thumbsup>

Edited by 98Z5V