• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Broke my RCBS 300wsm sizing die. Pin and threaded tip are inside a piece of brass.

Anyone have a website that has RCBS parts ?

RCBS will replace your parts for free. Have dealt with them many times. They never ask any questions, they just ask for your name and address and send out the part.

^^^ Very true. <thumbsup>

Mike, you just need the decapping rod and pin setup, for .30 cal. Both Cabela's and Sportsmans have those in stock.

ordered 2 of 3 parts from amazon. Should get them by the end of the week. Stripped the threads on the rod and 30 cal sizing insert. The decaping pins I have are different than the wsm one. That's the part I will have to get from RCBS. Edited by MikedaddyH

RCBS will replace any parts you break for the life of the Dies. I have a thirty year old ( maybe older , I'm the second owner ) Lube-O-matic & broke the stop adjuster & they just sent me one .

Sketch

It may depend on where or how much you cut down the 5.56 x 45 brass . I cut right at the shoulder & I have an Original Forster Die set for 300BLK .

Brass was cut at the shoulder as per instructions from 98.

I reloded factory brass (150 rnds) no problems?

Ran the cut brass in the die twice ( in forming stage not reloded yet) and held for 3 sec each time for the heat of stretching brass to cool form fit? Then trim to length. New dies are ordered...

^^^ Yep, that's the way to do it.  <thumbsup>

I'm running all my forming operations and reloading operations in the RCBS AR Series dies, 300BLK Small Base set.  The AR Series die sets are the ones in the black boxes.  Haven't had an issue yet, very good die set.

These little hookers, right here:

mini-005.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

New AR upper in 308x39 ready to go. Really excited to start loading this round. The true "little brother" to the LR308.  Just finished loading up the first trip to the range.  20 rounds 100gr Lapua HP over 26gr Vit120.-  20 rounds 123gr Lapua FMJ over 25gr Vit120.- 10 rounds 115gr Berger MHP over 26gr IMR 4198.- 10 rounds 115gr Berger MHP over 26gr Vit 120.- 10 rounds 115gr Berger MHP over 26gr  #1680.- 10 rounds 115gr Berger MHP over 27gr Vit133                                                                                                                                                                                                                             These wii be shot out of a McGowen  20" , SS , Match Barrel chambered in 7.62x39 with a 1-12 twist, rifle size gas system and a .308 bore. All the 308W bullets up to 125gr and most up to 150gr should be an option for this load. Lots of reloading fun ahead. Time to bag some 10rings.

Loaded 10 rounds 110gr V-Max over 26gr IMR 4198 and 10 rounds 135gr Sierra MK over 22gr IMR 4198.  Went to the range today for my first shoot and I must say, It was good, good day. All were shot at 50 yards.  The first 5 rounds from this barrel, 123gr Lapua FMJ, 25gr Vit120, .375 ! Nice start, Berger 115gr over 27gr Vit133, 10 round group of .510. V-Max 110gr over 26gr IMR4198, 10 round group of .575. Last the 135gr Sierra MK over 22 gr of IMR 4198 came in with a 10 round group of .790. Best first outing I ever had.

Edited by TenRingKing

Comment on the Imr4198, are your load levels near the top of the scale. ??

I have observed H-4198 doesn't preform well until it is pushed to near max load levels !

The cartridge I used was 6.8spcII not 300blk.

Edited by MikedaddyH

Comment on the Imr4198, are your load levels near the top of the scale. ??

I have observed H-4198 doesn't preform well until it is pushed to near max load levels !

The cartridge I used was 6.8spcII not 300blk.

I am not surprised, with the X39, the best accuracy will be in the Max neighborhood, thats where it gets tricky with powders. 

Interesting, I think TenRingKing is shooting 7.62 x 39 not 300blk - I'm planning on reloading some 7.62 x 39 with IMR 4198 and 123gr Hornady FMJ 

Thanks for the heads up on the IMR 4198 load levels - I'll probably start in the mid range & work up <thumbsup>

25gr IMR 4198 and the 123gr V-max is one outstanding combo of the right powder and bullet. One of my most accurate loads. By far the best of any other powders I have tried with this bullet. 

I am not surprised, with the X39, the best accuracy will be in the Max neighborhood, thats where it gets tricky with powders. 

25gr IMR 4198 and the 123gr V-max is one outstanding combo of the right powder and bullet. One of my most accurate loads. By far the best of any other powders I have tried with this bullet.

I had really good success with RE 7 and H 4198 in x 39. 27.3 gr of RE 7 with 123 gr Hornady SST in Lapua brass is outstanding. And 26.5 gr of H 4198 with 123 gr Speer Hot Cor in Federal brass rips one ragged hole at 50 yds. 16" AR Performance barrel. Have some AA 1680 and AA 5744 to try out soon too.

I have seen no lil'gun for sale or for that matter, most of the normal Handgun powders available . I see some powders are coming back , but the ones I have been using for 20+ years are not out there , like 2400 , I like that for my 44mag & it & my old formula Blue dot , whitch is different then the modern formula , so I can scratch that off my list .

It seems the days of just picking up a powder to try are over , its get what you can , when you can , which I think is BS.

Edited by survivalshop

• 1 month later...

Well, after catching the build bug the reloading bug has also struck.  Over the last few months I have been acquiring reloading supplies.  Last week I deprimed a hundred once fired .308 cartridges, swaged the military brass, and cleaned them up in the Frankford Armory tumbler with the ss pins.  Today I used the Lee hand primer and the Lee Classic Turret press to load those cartridges.  Perhaps because of my concern to get the loads correct I hand measured all of the loads individually, which was the slowest part of the process.  I have a Lee single press, the turret and a Load Master but I think I will save the Load Master for handgun loads (I have .380, 9MM Luger, 38 Special, and 45 ACP).  I need to play with the Lee Classic Power measure to feel more comfortable that it will dispense adequate loads.  I do need a trickler to make measuring the loads a bit less time consuming.  The 100 were for plinking (147 grain FMJ over 44.0 gn of Varget).  The next exercise will be building some accuracy ladders for the 175 gn FMBTs with Varget so I will be ready when the replacement BCG arrives from AIM.  I do feel like I accomplished something!! <thumbsup>

Well, after catching the build bug the reloading bug has also struck.  Over the last few months I have been acquiring reloading supplies.  Last week I deprimed a hundred once fired .308 cartridges, swaged the military brass, and cleaned them up in the Frankford Armory tumbler with the ss pins.  Today I used the Lee hand primer and the Lee Classic Turret press to load those cartridges.  Perhaps because of my concern to get the loads correct I hand measured all of the loads individually, which was the slowest part of the process.  I have a Lee single press, the turret and a Load Master but I think I will save the Load Master for handgun loads (I have .380, 9MM Luger, 38 Special, and 45 ACP).  I need to play with the Lee Classic Power measure to feel more comfortable that it will dispense adequate loads.  I do need a trickler to make measuring the loads a bit less time consuming.  The 100 were for plinking (147 grain FMJ over 44.0 gn of Varget).  The next exercise will be building some accuracy ladders for the 175 gn FMBTs with Varget so I will be ready when the replacement BCG arrives from AIM.  I do feel like I accomplished something!! <thumbsup>

Trim the brass to 2.015" max cartridge length or less and then inside/outside chamfer before loading.

Trim the brass to 2.015" max cartridge length or less and then inside/outside chamfer before loading.

2.015" ? for .308  Its not a Bolt action & unless you pick up a chamber gage to measure the chamber dimensions for trimming , 2.005 is recommended trim to length . I have tested the max case length to the trim to length & the trim to length produced better groups & lower ES & SD readings on my rifles .I have a thread some where around here on it .

What ever works for you , is OK with me . <dontknow>

Oppps ... I should have been more specific. Trim to length of 2.005" and max length of 2.015".

Good catch SS.

Sorry, I didn't mention that after depriming and sizing the previous week I trimmed all of the cases.  I do appreciate the suggestion based on my omission.  I also use a headspace die to check each case before priming.