• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

On 1/18/2017 at 1:16 AM, MikedaddyH said:

Tom I've got around 60 cases at 1.4" that I might rechop to 1.368".

Rechopped those 55 pieces of brass and another 60 pieces from 223 LC cases. Cleaned up the shavings and gave them a soapy bath last night. There in the oven now baking ,then I will form the into 300blk brass.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Did not like the looks of 10 of the brass so I pitched them. Small cracks, or splits, etc. Most of it was 1975 brass left over from 98's lube test, so I was pretty picky. Had a problem with my Lee hand primer, and wedged 5 primers in sideways before I figured out the issue. (A small piece of metal wedged in the cylinder). Didn't want to mess with getting them out so I threw those 5 as well.

Setting these aside for the Fall Shoot if I can make it.

Edited by Sisco

I finished another 100 .308 reloads, Lake City brass deprimed and sized, trimmed, swaged, then wet tumbled, hand primed, and then loaded with 175 grain Nosler BTHP projectiles.  My Faxon barrell really likes the 165-175 grain projectiles a lot better than the 147 grain standards.

This was a twice fired Remington/Peters case, 223, circa 1996. Second loading was 24 grains RL15 with a 62 gr IMI M855 clone bullet. First was factory 55 gr.

6 hours ago, Sisco said:

Found a few of these today. Sized 500+ 5.56.

20170528_125642.jpg

1 hour ago, survivalshop said:

I find a few like this from my test loads , not many now that I Anneal regularly , but .223 brass is cheap still & easy to find , so Annealing is really not all that necessity.  

Not reloading this bunch after this. Might investigate annealing in the future.

I just started Annealing last year & it has made a difference in 308 Neck tension , not to mention with the 25-45 Sharps made from LC 5.56 Brass , made for easy Forming . I just Annealed a bunch of .223 Brass last week & have sized them , but haven't loaded them yet because of the 25-45 testing .

I never thought it would make much of a difference , but it seems to help the Brass .  I made my own Annealing contraption with a Battery operated drill & use Temperature  indicating paint on the Brass to tell when the correct temperature. 

Switched over to loading 45acp for now. I'm loading the Xtreme 200 grain plated hollow points. I've loaded lots of 200 grain LRN and LSWC, but not hollow points, and I'm experimenting on the length. A lot of my rounds have been 1.250" LOA. Anyone used these Xtreme 200 grain plated hollow point? What LOA did you use?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 4:20 AM, mineralman55 said:

Switched over to loading 45acp for now. I'm loading the Xtreme 200 grain plated hollow points. I've loaded lots of 200 grain LRN and LSWC, but not hollow points, and I'm experimenting on the length. A lot of my rounds have been 1.250" LOA. Anyone used these Xtreme 200 grain plated hollow point? What LOA did you use?

I tried them a while ago at a rn length but had lots of jams. Cant rember how much shorter they need to be but not much? I should have wrote it down..

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:20 AM, mineralman55 said:

Follow up on this. I emailed Xtreme, and they got back to me saying load their 45ACP 200 grain plated HP to 1.225-1.235" LOA. I loaded up some test rounds to 1.237" LOA with 7.1, 7.2 and 7.4 grains of Silhouette. Perfect function, primers perfect, good accuracy, all in my 45 Shield. I like these projectiles. They load easily, are clean, and look great to boot! Time to load up a bunch.

De-primed, trimmed, swaged, cleaned and primed 100 .308 cases getting ready to load Varget for the first time in two years.  Had to dig out my testing for 168 g BTHP and 175 g BTHP to see what loads were best.  Getting too old to remember that far back.

4 hours ago, EngrBob said:

De-primed, trimmed, swaged, cleaned and primed 100 .308 cases getting ready to load Varget for the first time in two years.  Had to dig out my testing for 168 g BTHP and 175 g BTHP to see what loads were best.  Getting too old to remember that far back.

That's why you keep records. You do keep records, don't you? :cool:

4 hours ago, EngrBob said:

Bob, let me know what you come up with on the 175's. I have a pound of Varget I have to use up. I am set on my 168's with RL15, but have a bunch of 175 gr SMK BTHP's to load.

12 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

Follow up on this. I emailed Xtreme, and they got back to me saying load their 45ACP 200 grain plated HP to 1.225-1.235" LOA. I loaded up some test rounds to 1.237" LOA with 7.1, 7.2 and 7.4 grains of Silhouette. Perfect function, primers perfect, good accuracy, all in my 45 Shield. I like these projectiles. They load easily, are clean, and look great to boot! Time to load up a bunch.

I didn't write it down but that sounds like a winner!