• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

8 hours ago, Sisco said:

Bob, let me know what you come up with on the 175's. I have a pound of Varget I have to use up. I am set on my 168's with RL15, but have a bunch of 175 gr SMK BTHP's to load.

My old data for my 18" Faxon mid-weight barrel, 10:1, was 44.0 g of Varget under 175 Nosler BTHP with Winchester Large Rifle Primers.  This gave slightly better results than 0.2 g in either direction.  I got a 0.78" 5-shot group with this setup.  Note that this was in Lake City brass, trimmed to 2.003 with an OAL of 2.80.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know how many of you have one of these digital powder measures, but I am impressed.It is fast and accurate to a tenth of a grain. Nice when you want to work up a ladder of rounds.to fine tune your Powder/bullet/individual firearm accuracy.

20171005_122905.jpg

18 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Mounted up the new Rock Chucker. Very nice! :cool:

34 minutes ago, Sisco said:

I don't know how many of you have one of these digital powder measures, but I am impressed.It is fast and accurate to a tenth of a grain. Nice when you want to work up a ladder of rounds.to fine tune your Powder/bullet/individual firearm accuracy.

20171005_122905.jpg

Both Nice . Of course the one with the photo , wins!

Ladder'd up a batch with my new Rock Chucker (photo for you @survivalshop). Worked up from 42.0 to 43.0 in .2 increments for my Faxon 16" pencil. Varget of course, under some 165 gn Sierra hpbt Gamekings. I have some SST's I might try. 

I really like the new press. I find it's way more consistent than my dad's old JR press. 

20171005_204228.thumb.jpg.3a29da8e6ee5039651e5aa8b9a4f6de5.jpg

7 hours ago, Sisco said:

20171005_122905.jpg

That's pretty freakin sweet, boss!

9 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Ladder'd up a batch with my new Rock Chucker (photo for you @survivalshop). Worked up from 42.0 to 43.0 in .2 increments for my Faxon 16" pencil. Varget of course, under some 165 gn Sierra hpbt Gamekings. I have some SST's I might try. 

I really like the new press. I find it's way more consistent than my dad's old JR press. 

20171005_204228.thumb.jpg.3a29da8e6ee5039651e5aa8b9a4f6de5.jpg

I have the same Crescent wrench for use on my reloading bench :thumbup:

I loaded with a RCBS beam scale for many , many years , but a good digital scale is far more consistent , I'm not a high roller as Sisco :laffs:, but I'm using a Pact scale now a days .

On 10/6/2017 at 6:51 AM, survivalshop said:

I have the same Crescent wrench for use on my reloading bench :thumbup:

I loaded with a RCBS beam scale for many , many years , but a good digital scale is far more consistent , I'm not a high roller as Sisco :laffs:, but I'm using a Pact scale now a days .

Looked at them for years before I did it. Had an Amazon credit that helped. I feel it also makes my chance of human error much less, so I rationalized the safety factor. Wish I had done it long ago.

• 1 month later...

I didn't do shiit on the reloading bench today, but I'm preparing myself to.  I hardly had any time to get my reloading done before last week, before the shoot, and I barely made it through on some calibers.  On the .308 Win 178gr HPBTs, I actually ran out, on the range.  Fuckin' sucked, too.  At that point, both Matt and I realized that the HSM Match ammo in 168gr Sierra HPBT actually SUCKED.  It really does.  Blew all kinds of primers in Matt's gun, jammed it all up and made it non-functional, and it didn't do for shiit from my 700 bolt.  That ammo sucks, and I'm sitting on alot of it, in the ammo box.  It's only backup ammo, in case I run out of my own loads - and we did...  No more HSM Match-anything for me, ever.  I'll blast this remaining shiit out of the 16" .308AR and get did of it - if it doesn't jam up my rifle, too.  If I get one popped primer, the rest of it goes in a campfire - and RUN! 

So, what I did do today was FINALLY order up my .338 Fed dies from RCBS.  Along with some 8x57mm Mauser dies, for the old warhorse.  Tossed some .260 Rem dies into the basket before I checked out, just to force myself to push that .260 Rem AR project along...  I figure if I've got the dies, and a metric shiitt-ton of Hornady Match .308 once-fired brass, then I'll make .260 Rem ammo - and it'll force me to build that bastard quicker...  My logic...

...is usually flawed...  :thumbup::laffs: