• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

What do you use to trim? I recently got the Lyman ez trim I think is what they call it. It uses interchangeable mandrel/cutters, chuck the mandrel/cutter in lathe or drill and there is a quick change holder for the cases, makes it waayyy faster than the old rcbs trimmer, bc it uses the fixed length mandrel/cutter there is no checking they have to be the same every time.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you use to trim? I recently got the Lyman ez trim I think is what they call it. It uses interchangeable mandrel/cutters, chuck the mandrel/cutter in lathe or drill and there is a quick change holder for the cases, makes it waayyy faster than the old rcbs trimmer, bc it uses the fixed length mandrel/cutter there is no checking they have to be the same every time.

I have a Lyman Universal Case Trimmer mini lathe (that's what it is) except I also got the adapter shaft to run it off a drill or electric screwdriver. I built a little jig to hold the lathe and a carriage to hold the drill. I love the universal case holder on the Lyman. It is ingenious. When I get moving I can do 6-10 cases a minute.

Edited by mineralman55

Converted more 300BLK this morning.  Just did 30 of them, from start to finish.

Once-fired LC 5.56 brass from brass to loaded 300BLK.  Went with trim-to length of 1.363", 15.9gr H110, primed with CCI 400s, Hornady 150gr FMJ boat tails.  COAL 2.105".

Going out to shoot them in a few.  Will also get rid of the rest of the 220gr PNW subs.  Dawm Marie is going to shoot hers.  Later today is reloading all of it again.

Hey, I will say this for you guys converting 5.56 brass to 300BLK - there are steps you need to hit, every time.

1)  Cut (in whatever manner) the 5.56 brass at or right below the shoulder.  

2)  Do not final-size it yet. 

3)  Chamfer it in and out, so it doesn't tear up your 300BLK sizing die.  You don't want rough-cut edges going through your die.

4)  Once it's resized to 300BLK, THEN you trim to the proper trim length.  Max length is 1.368".  Trim-to length is 1.363".

If you cut your 5.56 brass at the shoulder, then trim it down to 1.363", it's gonna be to short once you resize/reform it.  That process drops a few thou off the overall brass length... 

Now, those damn PNW 220 subs shot fine, EVERYTIME, through Dawn Marie's 14.5" carbine-gassed BLK barrel today...  The damn things won't cycle reliably through my 16" carbine-gassed BLK, but they do in hers...  :rant2:

First attempt at .45 acp: de cap / sized / pocket reem. Found that some Speer and blazer brass primer pockets are small pistol size? Then after that I went to adjust trimmer and dropped micro set screw on concret and called it quits ;) also loaded 200 -223.

The current batch of 308 cases had exceptionally dirty/sooty primer holes, so I got an RCBS brush to clean them out. I put it into a battery-powered hand drill, and did 500 cases in about 50 minutes. The bristle end could have a little more flare in it to get deeper into the corners, or perhaps be slightly larger in diameter, but it worked well. And for $8 this was a handy little device.

328046.jpg

Now, those damn PNW 220 subs shot fine, EVERYTIME, through Dawn Marie's 14.5" carbine-gassed BLK barrel today...  The damn things won't cycle reliably through my 16" carbine-gassed BLK, but they do in hers...  :rant2:

Different sized gas ports in the barrels?

The current batch of 308 cases had exceptionally dirty/sooty primer holes, so I got an RCBS brush to clean them out. I put it into a battery-powered hand drill, and did 500 cases in about 50 minutes. The bristle end could have a little more flare in it to get deeper into the corners, or perhaps be slightly larger in diameter, but it worked well. And for $8 this was a handy little device.

328046.jpg

That's what I use I find after fighting to clear the edges on a hundred or so rnds my fingers are done. There is another option that looks like a flat head screwdriver I'm gonna give it a try when I find it.

That's what I use I find after fighting to clear the edges on a hundred or so rnds my fingers are done. There is another option that looks like a flat head screwdriver I'm gonna give it a try when I find it.

I tried that one. The scrapers are quite small and really don't do a good job cleaning out the pockets. but it is inexpensive, so you might get better results out of it.

I tried that one. The scrapers are quite small and really don't do a good job cleaning out the pockets. but it is inexpensive, so you might get better results out of it.

The scrapers do pretty well. I got one of these:

135615.jpg

I mount the scrapers in my drill press and run the cartridges through them one by one. Seems to do a good job.

I'm not reloading yet bro.I just put up the e-mails I get to see if anyone here can use it.

Tons of 7828 and 7828ssc readily available... guess there's not much demand for it. Perhaps time to get a 300WM bolt action.... :D

Edited by shibiwan