• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Thinking real hard about a Browning

gnatshooter

So if the hammer is in rest position if you had to draw the hammer would have to be charged? And a saftey to think about? Cocked and locked is my .02

The hammer will ony go in the down position if the safety is off. That means, if you carry with the hammer down, pulling the hammer back means automatically that the safety is already off and you're good to go. So, carrying with the hammer down would mean you'd just have to remember to pull the hammer back to use the pistol.

Carrying cocked and locked means, you just have to remember to take the safety off to use the weapon.

That means, you have to remember to do one thing -- your choice, depending on how you carry -- either jack the hammer or release the safety. One or the other.

I suppose I could go hard-core and say but there's also a grip safety, what the hell, and go cocked and unlocked, but that's not very appealing for several reasons, one of them being I'm amazed that hammerless safetyless items like Glocks are even around.

I suppose I could go hard-core and say but there's also a grip safety, what the hell, and go cocked and unlocked, but that's not very appealing for several reasons, one of them being I'm amazed that hammerless safetyless items like Glocks are even around.

"Safetyless" is a misnomer.  "Active-safetyless" may be more accurate.  The Glock system has the trigger-block safety, a striker block safety which is moved when the trigger is squeezed, and the striker rests in a partially cocked position too.

IMMEDIATELY below the information on the "Hammer Down" postition, on page 12 in the owner's manual for the Browning 1911-22 it states:

DO NOT CARRY OR STORE THE PISTOL WITH A LOADED CARTRIDGE IN THE CHAMBER.

Further down on page 13 under "Half-cock" position:

DO NOT CARRY OR STORE THE PISTOL WITH THE HAMMER IN THE HALF-COCK POSITION.

So yes, hammer down on an empty chamber, which is how Browning always recommends it be carried…empty chamber.

That locks you into Condition 3 for carry.

http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm

On .45 ACP 1911s, I carry it with a round in the chamber, hammer back, thumb safety up (on).  But that's on the .45.  The .22LR is different, so I don't know on that one.

For muscle memory and ergonomics, it's a hell of alot easier to drop the safety lever down than it is to pull the hammer back.  Just in the manner of drawing the weapon, your thumb is already in place for the safety lever - not so much for the hammer-pulling.  That equals extra movement.  You don't want extra movement, if you need the weapon.  Minimize as much as you can.  Simple tasks. 

For muscle memory and ergonomics, it's a hell of alot easier to drop the safety lever down than it is to pull the hammer back. Just in the manner of drawing the weapon, your thumb is already in place for the safety lever - not so much for the hammer-pulling. That equals extra movement. You don't want extra movement, if you need the weapon. Minimize as much as you can. Simple tasks.

This^^^

When I draw, the safety comes off as the muzzle reaches a horizontal orientation, that's just muscle memory now.

Thats like the ford/chevy debate .  I agree with the cocked and locked, thats how I carry and I always go shoot with the lock on so I dont even think about it.  Actually got so used to it I went and shot my sig 229 and I instinctively went to flip the safety down but there was nothing there.  So just carry cocked and locked and stop reading into it. I would be more concerned with your choice of caliber but Its your personal choice. I suppose its better than nothing.