• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Getting ready for the 2014 Surf Season

Sharkey

Today's my first day off in a couple of weeks.  I even skipped church (God forgive me) today so I could just veg and mess around with some stuff and just started going through some of my tackle, getting things ready for the ocean to warm up and the Striped Bass to come in.  A little early perhaps but my boys AND the wife have all been talking about hitting the surf this year already so I figured I start cleaning things up ie, changing old hooks on plugs, oiling reels and changing out the spikes on my rock cleats.

Since I had a "few" of my plugs out, I figured I'd throw out a photo of some of em.  All but a few of the plugs I own are hand-made by one guy or another, many of whom make a pretty good living making these things and I threw in an old scale at the center so you guys could get an idea of the kinds of lures I through into the surf chasing Stripers.

Who knows, maybe one or two of you might make it to RI this year and will need something to do for a night.  I've I'm not getting up at 3:30am to go to work, maybe we'll see if we can't find you a striped bass or two.

Any of you guys getting ready for fishing yet?

Our trout season starts on the second Saturday of April and I'll take my sons and wife but we don't get too worked up about it since trout are just little things in these parts and since I grew up in the "trout capital of RI" anyway, we'll go to a couple of spots I know and catch em till we're bored with it and then put the fresh water stuff away till next opening day and wait for the stripers to start coming in.

We live on fish probably 3 nights a week all season when the fish are in since 1 good fish will feed us all for anywhere from 1 to 3 meals so it's definitely worthwhile for us to hit em regularly.

Here's a pic of some of my "little" plugs.  I've got plugs that are 14 inches long although none are in this photo since I haven't gotten into the other closet yet..lol

post-14569-0-72068600-1395586171_thumb.j

I'm just winding down ice fishing slowly putting away that stuff. A friend of mine, his son and I always go trout fishing opening weekend which is the first weekend in May here in wi. Actually thinking of pulling my boat outta back yard so I can hit the river for some walleye and crappie. Still have frost in the ground so I wanna do that before it gets mushy.

I used to fish all the time when I lived in NJ. Been here in FL 25 years, have probably gone fishing less than 5 times in all those years. Heck, I used to carry a collapsible aluminum pole and a small box of fresh water lures behind the seat of my car so if I was ever in a crappy mood after work, I could go fishing :)

I'm a 5th generation Surf Fisherman and my sons are the 6th.  I have a crap load of plugs but we also enjoy just baiting up and sitting on the rocks waiting for the striped bass to find out baits...

Bottom fishing can produce some damn fine bass as well as plugs so we almost always go equipped with whatever I think will ensure we come home with some dinner.

My wife and the boys have been talking about it so much, I'm already getting the damn "itch" and we're expecting more SNOW tonight for God's sake...

I'm WAY ready for the ocean to start warming up already...

The good (and also a little torturous) thing is, since I'm also a member of a huge fishing forum, I can see the reports of guys catching fish all the way up the coast as I watch our temps and chomp at the damn bit till we're fishy enough to go... :))

We got snow last night it was gone by 11, I'm going to try getting out on the ice this coming weekend one more time this weekend but it's the gf 's birthday might take her if it's nice enough. Talking 50-60 and rain next week, that's fine tho pulled the boat out yesterday ready for walleyes and crappie on the river

Edited by shepp

I miss having my boats so damn bad....

A good day for me was heading out at 2am, quite often all alone and hitting open water by 3.  Being set up on a spot by 4 or 5ish with chum in the water, baits out on 4 rods and a soft breeze, 40 miles from shore as I throw a pillow down on the floor of the boat and take a nice nap till one of my reels wakes me up like an alarm clock - screaming away as a nice big mako makes a 50mph blazing ass run, waiting for me to wake up and set the hook so it can start the aerial display....

Battling sharks alone all day can give you a feeling of having done something lemme tell ya...  Especially when you get home and still have all your limbs... :)) 

Somehow I don't think I'll ever get over needing SOME kind of risk in my life...Shark fishing alone can definitely bring that factor to bare... 

The official Rhode Island definition of a boat is "a hole in the water into which you throw money".

If I had the money to throw right now, I'd be tossing happily.

Offshore, miles from anyone.  No phones, no crowds, no traffic.  Just me and my family, baits in the water and the time it takes for some sharks to come-a-cruisin....  Happiness...

I've had a commercial license for longer than I can say but have NEVER sold a single fish.  I feed all seniors and a couple of ministers and their families with most of what I catch, some of whom with pretty big families.  All I ever asked from any of them was to give me a box of gallon sized ziploc bags now and then so I could have stuff ready when I swung by their houses to reduce time as I made deliveries and worked my way home.  When I would come in with a big Mako or a tuna, I'd have it all steaked out and in buckets and everyone would be able to grab enough to feed their families real quick and I'd be off to the next stop.

Usually by the time I made it home, I'd have enough for us to eat for about a week and then it would be time for another trip out anyway... ^-^

The official Rhode Island definition of a boat is "a hole in the water into which you throw money".

If I had the money to throw right now, I'd be tossing happily.

Offshore, miles from anyone.  No phones, no crowds, no traffic.  Just me and my family, baits in the water and the time it takes for some sharks to come-a-cruisin....  Happiness...

I've had a commercial license for longer than I can say but have NEVER sold a single fish.  I feed all seniors and a couple of ministers and their families with most of what I catch, some of whom with pretty big families.  All I ever asked from any of them was to give me a box of gallon sized ziploc bags now and then so I could have stuff ready when I swung by their houses to reduce time as I made deliveries and worked my way home.  When I would come in with a big Mako or a tuna, I'd have it all steaked out and in buckets and everyone would be able to grab enough to feed their families real quick and I'd be off to the next stop.

Usually by the time I made it home, I'd have enough for us to eat for about a week and then it would be time for another trip out anyway... ^-^

Thats awesome. Must make you feel good inside when you see those fortunate people light up with a smile and a bag o' fish in their hand.

B.O.A.T.   Break Out Another Thousand

Good karma...  That's something I talk about quite a bit when I am teaching my boys to fish.  

The ocean has always been so good to us and being near it also brings back memories of my Great Grandfather and my Grandfather and I talk with them both often when I am there, knowing they are beside me as I cast off into the darkness.

When the fishing is slow, I'll tell my sons stories about them both and our times together by sea so they will know that their ancestors stood EXACTLY where they are standing back when I was just a boy like them and did the exact same things we do together today.  Heritage, tradition, bloodlines and the spirits of damn fine men beside us as we all share times together, the men of the past, those of the present, and those of the future.

Both of my boys, right after they had each been born, were brought to the ocean so I could introduce the next generation to those before.  My wife cried the first time I did it because she had no idea what I was really doing at first and then she could feel it as I walked her through it all.

I brought a bottle of non-alcoholic champagne and a cigar and I spoke to the ocean as if everyone were all standing there with us.  After introducing my newest son to the ocean and my grandfathers, my wife and I would each have some of the champagne as we shared the Monte Cristo #1 cigar and I would talk of fishing trips I had made with them.

Then, when we had smoked half of the cigar and were down to 2 glasses of the champagne, I would fill the glasses, set the cigar on a rock, still burning, pour the champagne into the surf, and say a prayer of thanks for all of those who had come before me.  Nothing like a drink and a fine smoke shared with ancestors.

God is good and well felt by the sea and what we do, no matter where we stand, is never hidden from either.

I am gearing up for the Salmon season to start it opens April 26 and will probably run till august or 4th of july depending on how many fish we get back this year. The springers or chinook salmon will be here first then later in august the fall chinook will start to arrive this year they are predicting 1.6 million fall chinnok the largest run ever on the columbia it will be fun times as some of them are as big as 60 lbs springes run 15 to 30 lbs.

I use all my surf gear from the east coast and cast over 100 yards to the other side of the dam to catch springers fun stuff I bet I could catch them on some of your plugs...lol I miss the ocean but not the people on the east coast... have fun this year surf fishing is a blast...

I could never live far from the ocean but you are indeed making my mouth water thinking about all them salmon man...  One of my personal treats is picking up one of those little packs of salmon they sell in grocery stores and I indulge whenever I bump into a good looking package of it with a couple extra bucks in my pocket.

Having a smoker filled with it, ya know, if I even HAD a damn smoker, would be more than I could handle and I would probably go into Salmon overdose on a regular basis... >:D

And I know what ya mean about the "east coasties" sometimes bud but I live in a pretty small and protected area so I don't normally need to put up with too much and when guys get "moody", I seem to have kind of a knack for making em wanna go be "moody" somewhere else... :auto:

Edited by Sharkey

Gonna have to dust off the trout rods I spose.  Opener is the 12th so we'll have to wet some lines and get the trout skillet out for our annual trout feast although the wife is so damn spoiled on salt water fish that she won't eat much trout...  Too bad too cuz we'll be catchin em by the damn dozen...lol

Gonna have to dust off the trout rods I spose. Opener is the 12th so we'll have to wet some lines and get the trout skillet out for our annual trout feast although the wife is so damn spoiled on salt water fish that she won't eat much trout... Too bad too cuz we'll be catchin em by the damn dozen...lol

First week In May for me.

Took my gf Sunday ice fishing first time for her, we caught 50-60 gills brought home 25. Crappie will be hot on the river here in a week or so

We've got kind of  a panfish in salt water too called Scup.  Delicious little buggers but you gotta catch a dozen of em to really feed the while family.  Same as the bluegills and the like but I've never actually eaten any of those.  We get some crappie around here sometimes as well but their not as common.

My boats nothing special, 14' aluminum V with a 25horse mariner motor. I'd like a crestliner like my boss has but I don't want the payment

Shepp, you can do more with that size boat than any other. I was out at Isle Royale years ago, 20 miles from the mainland, and there was a 14 footer with three guys on it. I wouldn't recommend it on Superior, but it can be done. Crestliners are nice, used to have a 17'. Now I run a 20' Lund Alaskan with a 115 hp Mercury Outboard, with full canvas for the rainy days. Use it for the big and small lakes. On boat number 6 right now.

Shepp, you can do more with that size boat than any other. I was out at Isle Royale years ago, 20 miles from the mainland, and there was a 14 footer with three guys on it. I wouldn't recommend it on Superior, but it can be done. Crestliners are nice, used to have a 17'. Now I run a 20' Lund Alaskan with a 115 hp Mercury Outboard, with full canvas for the rainy days. Use it for the big and small lakes. On boat number 6 right now.

Nice! If I upgraded I'd prolly go 16-18' max, my boat is narrow and a conceal steer, three adults fishing outta it is tight. I'd like a wide V