• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Blades

Robocop1051

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, sketch said:

Really isnt a lanyard for a wrist per say more for the locking feature..

i just did mine since i dont have picks of my bro's.  Drilled the handle used about 30" of 550 cord and tied a diamond knot to fit. Trick is to get that knot tight so its pretty hard to slip over the buckle.. the knot will tighten and produce slack over time.  I also left the working ends to tug on for ease of looping and unlooping.  10 minutes while learning the knot on youtube. ?

looks good. did the tang of the knife go all the way to the end of the pummel? I would hate drilling through that.

10 hours ago, Sisco said:

She would have taught you the knot in five.

I wouldn't likes two minutes with her. lol. :hump:

11 hours ago, sketch said:

Really isnt a lanyard for a wrist per say more for the locking feature..

i just did mine since i dont have picks of my bro's.  Drilled the handle used about 30" of 550 cord and tied a diamond knot to fit. Trick is to get that knot tight so its pretty hard to slip over the buckle.. the knot will tighten and produce slack over time.  I also left the working ends to tug on for ease of looping and unlooping.  10 minutes while learning the knot on youtube. ?

looks good. did the tang of the knife go all the way to the end of the pummel? I would hate drilling through that.

10 hours ago, Sisco said:

She would have taught you the knot in five.

I wouldn't likes two minutes with her. lol. :hump:

7 hours ago, sketch said:

The tang on moraknives are about 1/3 the handle on the smaller versions. 

I will have to see if I still have it, when I was in eighth grade (1960)I bought a Mora knife at a local hardware store, for the then astronomical price of $.4.95. That was my hunting knife for 15 years. If I can find it I will post a photo.

• 1 month later...

Tops knife Tahoma feild knife just showed today first impresions.. 

heavy and very sharp! Shave sharp! On the main blade but the top endge is sharp not quite shave  worthy. 

Handle is big and rather smooth it will have to have a lanyard for sure. So much more to explore but as a short review ''thats not a knife, this is a knife'' or an axe?!

IMG_5681.JPG

On 5/16/2017 at 0:13 PM, Robocop1051 said:

I've been torn between the Bk9 and the Tahoma. If I had the BK9 blade on the Tahoma handle, I'd never buy another knife again. 

Really the tops knife might be the way to go then? Aside from the cost tops has more to offer and a smaller version im looking at for next years camp test! In my life time i dont think ill abuse this blade more than it will me! And it was half off msrp! A desent sheeth is what is to be desired in bolth cases but i am liking the sheeth more as i play around with it! 

Robo it comes with a rape whistle...:banana: 

• 4 weeks later...

So the government has these length rules for knives at work, 2 7/8 inch blade max in my agency. I think I found a work around, I am allowed to keep a machete in my truck and use it for work. I found this ESEE Junglas used for $120, never been used but the guy greased the edged and stained the handle with it a bit. These are listed by the manufacturer as a small machete so I'm within the rules. The "machete" feels great in the hand and the sheath is very well thought out, should be the last one I need. 1095 high carbon steel and razor sharp out of the box.

Junglas2.thumb.JPG.78ea9cb461243bec0039127101897174.JPGJunglas1.thumb.JPG.0a41ad337ff8cfa50fb40b02641a242b.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

review time on all sorts ill keep it short..

mora the short one was just a pizza cutter not worthy of a hot dog stick..

the hausforester (spelling?) was super light and stupid sharp still.. didnt need it much we had a bow saw = less toes missing.

we did a side by side log split with my buddies mora(short) and my tops Tahoma.. used a peice of dried hard as fook drift wood pine from the river as a hammer.. on a 4-5" peice of fresh pine tree cut to 14" long. 

wood measurement lol

so he began and i followed on the same stalk of tree. i finished in 13 whacks from my hammer stick and finished bolth haves to make it 1/4 rounds by the time he was done with almost splitting half. i finished his and had fire for hours. 

didnt take picks we were playing with knives in the dark.. i recomend this knife if its all you can pack even over the axe. maybe..

29 minutes ago, sketch said:

i recomend this knife if its all you can pack even over the axe. maybe..

Yeah, fuk that.When you need an axe, nothing else is doing it.  I keep this axe in my truck, and it makes DNP laugh.  But the fucker has been used everytime we're out...

It's a Max Axe, so there's anything that you can do with it.  :thumbup:

Shiit's not new, either - it gets beat. 

P1050720.JPG

P1050721.JPG

Max axe.jpg

7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Yeah, fuk that.When you need an axe, nothing else is doing it.  I keep this axe in my truck, and it makes DNP laugh.  But the fucker has been used everytime we're out...

It's a Max Axe, so there's anything that you can do with it.  :thumbup:

Shiit's not new, either - it gets beat. 

P1050720.JPG

P1050721.JPG

Max axe.jpg

Very similar to a kit issued to the Cavalry in the late 1800's. Found one at an auction once and sold it for $600. Found a part of one I kept, just the handle that doubled as a shoeing hammer and a stake to tie the horse to.