• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Blades

Robocop1051

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha if you were around here I would be all for it.

Honestly, for a couple of dollars more, I could have purchased the "buff head" ceremonial Khukuri. It has like a 36" blade and weighs 15lbs.

They have a religious ceremony where the head if the household has to chop through a cows neck in one swing, or his entire family gets bad luck for the rest of the year. Lol

I imagine most of them are successful :-D

Haha if you were around here I would be all for it.

Honestly, for a couple of dollars more, I could have purchased the "buff head" ceremonial Khukuri. It has like a 36" blade and weighs 15lbs.

They have a religious ceremony where the head if the household has to chop through a cows neck in one swing, or his entire family gets bad luck for the rest of the year. Lol

I imagine most of them are successful :-D

Well what made me think of that all is the scene at the end of apocalypse now in the camp were there do that, but I'm pretty sure it was a large ax of some sort. we're on the same page :)

Although I dont know what movie you guys are referring to... I now want to see it.

It isn't Himalayan Imports, it is from Khukuri House, or more recently, Ex Ghurka Khukuri House.

I like EGKH because they are bit cheaper, even though they ship from Nepal, but also because they do some other wicked designs, and they do a lot more stuff that I full tang.

I am a HUGE advocate of full tang knives.

have you seriously not seen apocalypse now? greatest war movie ever made?

if not, drop whatever you are doing and go buy it. preferably the redux version witch includes deleted/remade scenes.

Idk bout the greatest but it's damn good!!!

Ever hear the quote "I l be the smell of napalm in the morning"??? Yea that's from that.

Marlin Brando, Martin scheen, Lawrence fishburn and a few other cameos

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/

Edited by shepp

I have a 90s American made CS Recon tanto that a friend is reprofiling for me. My dad busted the tip when he was in the marine corps doing some counter drug op on the boarder, and since I was like 5 I asked why he never got it fixed...

I asked him recently, and he said if you fix it, you can have it lol

It is currently being reprofiled to be similar to a Becker Bk15/ Bk5

quick update on recon tanto. its sharp. silly scary sharp. one handed slicing of junk mail (credit card offer envelopes) into thin strips like a sushi chef sharp. blade is gorgeous. perfectly even grinds. plastic part of sheath is nice and holds knife really tightly. handle is super grippe.

bad....the nylon webbing part of sheath feels cheap, but it attaches with screws so something nicer can be made/adapted. the handle is about 1/2" short to be a comfortable work knife, but I don't think it was meant to be a work knife anyway.

wasn't sure why I even bought this, but really glad I did. next project.....pimp my junglas. stay tuned.

post-12215-0-80308200-1424016676_thumb.j

Edited by blue109

I definitely like Cold Steel's cheaper stuff.  The more expensive stuff isn't really worth it IMO, and their swords have questionable balance and are overbuilt.  Good if you're a mall ninja interested in chopping down a tree, perhaps, but not so good for serious practitioners.  I have a friend who's a former world champion who won't go near them.  Later today, I'm going to get a group shot of most of the khukuri I have...  in the meantime, here's a couple I made:

20131109_215418_zps6ee863f3.jpg

20121227_173639.jpg

Made this for a friend who recently died in a car accident.  Hope it's serving his lady well.  RIP, buddy.

20120602_191216.jpg

Crimson Falcon, I love your first Khuk there!

Do you have a Facebook page, website, or store front? Or do you just do it as a hobby for yourself?

Blue, no my old recon is made of carbon v steel in the us of a.

In case anyone is wondering, carbon v is actually 1095 crovan, which is actually 170-6 sheridan.

Camilus, kabar, and case all use 170-6 Sheridan under their own name. When camilus went under in 2005, food steel left America. (Camilus was sharing the steel, and possibly the factory... idk)

I respect cold steels Japanese stuff, but i personally strongly dislike anything that says China, Taiwan, or Pakistan. I am bias

Thanks for the good words fellas.  The closest thing I have to a website is my photobucket, which has photos of a lot of my work.  Next project is a katana design, along with some fighters.

Not sure what the etiquette is here, but I'd be happy to run a giveaway contest here for y'all, in thanks for all the help you've given me with my build, if it's cool with the staff, and send one of you a free blade.

I actually don't think Cold Steel's Carbon V is actually the same as Ka-bar's 1095CV, from what Uncle E (Ethan Becker) says.  I recall reading that the Kabar 1095CV is a proprietary formula.

I'd like to try out one of Cold Steel's CPM 3V blades.  It's my favorite hard-use steel.  I like M390 a lot for smaller blades.  I've got a ton of different steels, including some expensive stuff like Elmax and CPM S110V.  M390 performs the best out of the super steels, and 3V is just better than anything else for tough tasks and sword steels.  Thing is, I make 3V blades myself, and have the heat treat done by one of the best guys in the business (Brad Stallsmith at Peter's Heat Treat, using Dan Keffeler's formula, Dan being the only two-time Bladesports World Champion, one of the best modernized sword makers in the business, and an all-around stand-up guy).  So it's pretty tough to justify buying someone else's blades.

5160 and 52100 are darn good steels too.  5160 is my favorite cheap hard-use steel, and 52100 (which is the same thing as Busse's SR101, for the most part), is a fantastic slicy steel.

I find metallurgy fascinating, and have recently been giving some thought to how it could benefit firearms builds.  Certainly a high temp resistance/high wear resistance third gen powder steel would make an AMAZING barrel.  It would be far more consistent than is possible with a carbon steel, and would last many times longer as well.  But it would also be far harder to work because of the higher wear resistance, and the raw materials cost around 3-4 times as much.