• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Brake Options

gnatshooter

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Muzzlebrakesandmore tac-beast came today. Said he made these specifically for the RPR and 308AR guys. .825 is the smallest OD he does for 30 cal, and it tapers to .750. Looks really nice. Going to have to pull the barrel and get it up to lance for install.  Not sure if I'll black it out or leave it stainless. Looks pretty sexy as is. Price was $70 shipped.

PicsArt_07-02-05.56.16.jpg

PicsArt_07-02-05.55.08.jpg

Edited by blue109

Well that's handy.....found a .75 OD crush washer in the parts drawer. Guess I don't need to get the barrel machined right away! I'll be able to try it out before I do anything permanent. Doesn't look too bad and allowed me to clock it right. Might need a dab of something to lock it down since I wasn't  able to get much torque on it.

PicsArt_07-02-08.21.27.jpg

Edited by blue109

Keep it Stainless , looks good . Whats the length added to your Barrel ?

This is why you clean your MD , this is the Crown of the Muzzle , but the MD was just as dirty . What do you think this would do to accuracy , this barrel (16" Criterion ) had over 1K through it , but the Crown was probably compromised long before that .

DSCN2004.JPG

DSCN2005.JPG

DSCN2006.JPG

Tac-beast was the same length as the dynacomp it replaces, about 2 3/8". Was a little lighter at 2.1 oz. The vids on his website look pretty impressive. Puts his recoil reduction right up there with the $200 competition brakes. He does 2 and 4 port brakes as well, but not in this configuration. Custom tapering for $10 extra on anything. Very responsive to email. Brake showed up 3 days after I sent payment.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So my nabor, Bubba, comed over ta the hous the other nite an he had him onna them new PA M4-72 muzle brakes. Who we, hit wuz some kinda purty! I sez, "Bubba, that there hunka steel shore is purty but how come y'all ain't got hit onna gun?".  He sez he had hit onna gun but hit kept on blowin his hat ofen his noggin. Well, seein as how Bubbas got a kinda pear shaped noggin I could see how he mighta had a mite uv a problem. I aloud as how I mite be intersted ifn he wuz wantin ta part wif it and he wuz so I traded him a jug uv Pappy's Moonlight Sprang Water fer his akes an pains. Well lemmy tell ya, at there brake shore looked purty on my new 20" barrl an I proceeded out ta the pasture wit Mary Lou an Pappy ta see ifn hit wuz all hit wuz kraked up ta be. Well dog my cats, hat there thang wuz wunnerful. Hit cut the recoil down so much hit wuz like shootin a lil ole four hunnert an tin bore! Only issue wuz the back blast wuz somthin fearse, hit blowed Pappy's too-pay slam offn his head an we still ain't fount Mary Lou's Brazeer!

31 minutes ago, Dracomeister said:

So my nabor, Bubba, comed over ta the hous the other nite an he had him onna them new PA M4-72 muzle brakes. Who we, hit wuz some kinda purty! I sez, "Bubba, that there hunka steel shore is purty but how come y'all ain't got hit onna gun?".  He sez he had hit onna gun but hit kept on blowin his hat ofen his noggin. Well, seein as how Bubbas got a kinda pear shaped noggin I could see how he mighta had a mite uv a problem. I aloud as how I mite be intersted ifn he wuz wantin ta part wif it and he wuz so I traded him a jug uv Pappy's Moonlight Sprang Water fer his akes an pains. Well lemmy tell ya, at there brake shore looked purty on my new 20" barrl an I proceeded out ta the pasture wit Mary Lou an Pappy ta see ifn hit wuz all hit wuz kraked up ta be. Well dog my cats, hat there thang wuz wunnerful. Hit cut the recoil down so much hit wuz like shootin a lil ole four hunnert an tin bore! Only issue wuz the back blast wuz somthin fearse, hit blowed Pappy's too-pay slam offn his head an we still ain't fount Mary Lou's Brazeer!

This post meets with my approval and I wholeheartedly endorse it.

I don't do serious well, but in this case ... the Precision Armaments M4-72 break is fantastic at reducing felt recoil (I'd have to guess at least 50%) and it is wicked cool looking on the rifle but the back blast is uncomfortable at best. Not sure the reduction in recoil is worth the gas in the face and the sound blast is almost as bad, I had to double up on ear protection. The RSO at my local range asked me to move to the end bench because it was causing the shooters on either side of me to flinch!

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

• 4 months later...

I'm sure it will do you just fine.  The testing data is out there, though.  It's broken down by types of brakes and port configuration relative to size and caliber.  The top three contenders for overall reduction of felt recoil and rearward motion are:

Nathan Wright's Beast Brake

Terminator Brakes (NZ)

APA Fat Bastard Brake