• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Brake Options

gnatshooter

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:54 AM, survivalshop said:

Keep it Stainless , looks good . Whats the length added to your Barrel ?

This is why you clean your MD , this is the Crown of the Muzzle , but the MD was just as dirty . What do you think this would do to accuracy , this barrel (16" Criterion ) had over 1K through it , but the Crown was probably compromised long before that .

DSCN2004.JPG

DSCN2005.JPG

DSCN2006.JPG

How do you like the Smith brake ?

I have both the Lantac and the BCM brakes on .308 18" middies... the Lantac is very effective at reducing recoil, but.. it is one loud , obnoxious brake.. 3 tables down the line would get blast.

The BCM is still pesky as well... but no where near as obnoxious. and the noticeable difference in recoil reduction between the Lantac and BCM is very little.

• 4 weeks later...

Let us know what you find!  They were both tested, but in two separate tests.  Based on comparing brakes that were similar in both tests, the MBM should be superior (and probably louder!).  Also, the design of the M4-72 would work better if the larger baffle was the first port closest to the muzzle.  The way it is now, the first two do most of the work.

• 2 months later...

I'm new here and know this might not be the place for this, but can anybody help me find a brake for my 6.5 Creedmoor build with a bull barrel that measures .921"at the barrel/ brake joint. Is there such a creature that mates up with this barrel? I've been looking for a while now. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My barrel has 5/8" x 24 threads.

Edited by tiffohs

8 minutes ago, tiffohs said:

I'm new here and know this might not be the place for this, but can anybody help me find a brake for my 6.5 Creedmoor build with a bull barrel that measures .921"at the barrel/ brake joint. Is there such a creature that mates up with this barrel? I've been looking for a while now. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My barrel has 5/8" x 24 threads.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/compensators-amp-muzzle-brakes/tactical-compensator-1x2-75-925-30-cal-5-8-24-steel-blk-sku452000095-86875-61016.aspx?sku=452000095

I had PRI turn one of their Brakes to my Barrel Diameter , I for get the exact measurement , but it looks like part of the Barrel installed . Let me find a photo . I thought I had one with a closer look , but you can see how it blends in with the Barrel . Gas block is a 0.936 " dia. . 20" , Kreiger Criterion HB .

Give PRI a call , the price was a little more then one off the shelf .

DSCN1972.thumb.JPG.be912929897e68fc399b164d028846b7.JPG

16 hours ago, tiffohs said:

Welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about yourself in the intro section

tiffohs, most people put .308 brakes on their 6.5s, but JEC makes a nice brake in a 6.5mm size. its outside diameter is .975 so doesn't match up perfectly, but that's splitting hairs if you ask me. the nice thing about the brake is it is threaded for if you get a suppressor. It is also one of the top performing brakes in many tests. It may not be the very top performing, but then again it doesn't look like a spaceship. 

http://shop.jeccustom.com/Quick-Brake-JEC-QB5824.htm

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...