• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Brake Options

gnatshooter

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one of the .30 Cal Lantacs, but I was sort of at a disadvantage on my rifle. I had mine attached to my Ruger GSR. Since this is a bolt action rifle, I really didn't feel any benefit from the compensator and the brake was about as equivalent as the AAC.

In the end I kept the AAC, and some jerk took my Lantac... Besides, he'll get better use out of it on his SBR.

Boerboel guy

What's the muzzle flash and concussion like compared to other brakes you've used?

As far as flash I didn't notice anything annoying in my sight picture the last time I was out but I was only in the shade and not low/no light. I'll be going out again here soon for a nighttime coyote hunt and am taking that one with me.

From watching others shoot it it does have some visible flash but it is directed out of the shooters way and isn't a huge fireball.

As far as concussion goes, like any brake it is louder than a flash hider. It isn't as bad as an FSC 556, a Surefire, or an AK74 type. From the shooter standpoint it isn't bad at all. From a team member standpoint? Screw the team, this thing works too damn well to really give a crap. lol.

I honestly am fine with shooting beside a lantac. I'm so used to everyones loud brakes I don't really notice it anymore. If concussion is a concern the Ferfrans CQB may be a better option.

There are a few videos of the lantac online. From what I have experienced what they show is accurate. I don't feel like the muzzle is pushed down at all, I feel like it just stays in place, good side to side control. It keeps everything level.

Now if only lantac would pay me for my glowing praise with a suppressor that mounts to the dragon I'd be super happy.

Recently put Miculek muzzle brakes on two 5.56 ARs and one on my 308 AR.

The 5.56 rifles become even sweeter to shoot but oh my gosh, are they loud now.

The recoil reduction on the 308 is noticeable, now only just a bit stronger than the 5.56 AR with the factory bird cage muzzle device.  Very very loud!

*Have* to wear hearing protection with these puppies!  Accidently had no hearing protection on when intentionally squeezing off a 5.56 round one fine morning and that was painful; not so when hunting with the old bird cage.

Pro Ears or Howard Leight muffs are always in my range bag and they work fine; though I do often add plugs under the muffs when shooting the 308.  Prefer the Howard Leights for hunting.

Edited by GunBugBit

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a Lantac Dragon on my SR-762 but I haven't had it to the range yet...

You will NOT be disappointed. Besides looking great, they work exactly as advertised. BattleComp, Lantac and the PWS FSC... All great IMHO.

I had a 7.62 Lantac, but some jerk stole it... I still have to mail it to him. Lol