• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pictures of Cars !

MikedaddyH

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nitro cars are AWESOME! When we are at the dragstrip in Tucson for nitro races I walk around the pits and head to wherever I hear a nitro car fire up. When they shut down I'll walk away coughing and hacking, snot running out of my nose and tears streaming out of my eyes. My wife says there is something seriously wrong with me! What do you guys think? <dontknow> <laughs>

When I was a kid my step dad raced a nitro funny car.  It was The Cajun Hustler out of New Orleans.  Self funded race team that only lasted a few years.  Thats one expensive car to run.  Engine rebuilds after each run, tranny rebuilds after a few passes, etc....Used to cost a few grand to race a weekend even in fuel and part costs....

Edited by BigP623

Yup, nitro racing is a rich man's sport for sure. Back in the 50's and early 60's it was pretty cheap to do, they didn't run the percentages they do now and the technology was archaic to say the least. It was a LOT more dangerous too! If you want to read a hell of a story about nitro dragracing back then read the story of 'The Surfers', these guys set the whole nitro scene on it's ear in the 60's!

http://www.hotrod.com/thehistoryof/retrospective/hrdp_9810_southern_california_top_fuel_movement/

A little nitro trivia; nitromethane originally was a byproduct of the oil refining business and was pretty cheap to buy until the drag racers found out they could go a lot faster with the stuff! You can poor the stuff on a concrete floor and throw a lit match on it and it won't ignite, but DON'T hit it with a hammer, it'll kaboom on ya!

Yup, nitro racing is a rich man's sport for sure. Back in the 50's and early 60's it was pretty cheap to do, they didn't run the percentages they do now and the technology was archaic to say the least. It was a LOT more dangerous too! If you want to read a hell of a story about nitro dragracing back then read the story of 'The Surfers', these guys set the whole nitro scene on it's ear in the 60's!

http://www.hotrod.com/thehistoryof/retrospective/hrdp_9810_southern_california_top_fuel_movement/

A little nitro trivia; nitromethane originally was a byproduct of the oil refining business and was pretty cheap to buy until the drag racers found out they could go a lot faster with the stuff! You can poor the stuff on a concrete floor and throw a lit match on it and it won't ignite, but DON'T hit it with a hammer, it'll kaboom on ya!

The owner of drag strip I took all the pictures at I posted is one of the innovators of drag racing in the Midwest. He (Ron leek) and a man they called broadway bob and a few others would go out to Cali and get big name racers to come to the Midwest in the 60's to race, bob passed away a few years back just about lost Ron to a heart attack 4 years ago, both guys had crazy stories you could listen to for days. I tell people far and wide that the Byron wheel stand comp is a must see for any gear head. And Ron is a character on the microphone.

• 4 weeks later...

First weekend in oct Byron ILL one of the coolest events I've ever been to. The only thing that sticks out in my mind cooler was being 25' from tony pedregons top fuel car when it launched at quad city's drag way

My first trip to Byron, IL was in Oct. 2012 for a diesel event where I ran a 12.17@110mph. it was cold as hell but those guys really did a great job of putting together a fast track. i wasn't able to go last year but i look forward to putting up an 11 there this year!

Race stance the day of the event

photobucket-6843-1351471874438.jpg

Street stance

2013-09-15_12-28-52_126.jpg

video of my run and a few of my friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t54PMMwOHQ&list=UUP0gjpg9NE0aLTaS1ehhonA&feature=share&index=6

• 4 months later...

My first trip to Byron, IL was in Oct. 2012 for a diesel event where I ran a 12.17@110mph. it was cold as hell but those guys really did a great job of putting together a fast track. i wasn't able to go last year but i look forward to putting up an 11 there this year!

Race stance the day of the event

photobucket-6843-1351471874438.jpg

Street stance

2013-09-15_12-28-52_126.jpg

video of my run and a few of my friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t54PMMwOHQ&list=UUP0gjpg9NE0aLTaS1ehhonA&feature=share&index=6

Lefty where you from? yes Byron is a great track and since they got that jet dryer it's been even better I love that place!!!

" the house of hook, or the play ground of power" as Ron leak would call it

Edited by shepp