• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Looks like a non-secure holster -- or not?

gnatshooter

Friends,

As I mentioned in another thread, I was looking at investing in a Browning 1911-22 for concealed carry. I have done the deed. It's a nice shooter, etc., I'm not doing a review here unless requested.

My issue is with a concealed carry holster for the little beast. There aren't many holsters on the market for it. Many of them are made from fabric, and, well, they look more like disposable diapers than anything else. They also look bulky.

I'm leaning strongly in favor of this holster from D.M. Bullard:

RH_BG_B1911_22.JPG

You will notice there is no strap over the back of the pistol that holds it down into the holster. Judging from the fact that many holsters on the market don't have a hold-down strap, maybe this is not an issue.

But if I'm carrying, say on the riding lawn mower, or crawling into the car at the local shopping mall, or sprinting after a grand-child who looks like she wants to hurl herself into a rain-swollen creek, or suffering a restless two hours in a theater watching a libtard movie, I can see the pistol working its way out.

Do those of you who do concealed carry consider a retention strap across the 'hammer area' to be important? These holsters aren't cheap and I want to buy right the first time.

P.S. I just got my CCW permit today. Hooray, the State has given me permission to exercise my constitutional right. I feel good about that, sort of. The picture on my gun license looks OK. It's now in a government database. Hm. Too late to change my mind.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gnat, none of my concealed carry holsters have retention straps and I've never had one work loose in any manner. I would think my gun would be more prone to working loose too, It's a 3&1/2" barreled 1911.

Do you wear/carry that thing on a motorcycle or do energetic things with that pistol/holster combination? Most of the time I'm squatting behind a desk and I would trust nearly any holster for that situation, but I want a holster I don't and won't need to worry about.

Gnat, I carry a RIA Compact 1911 in a Crossbreed IWB holster.  Made out of horsehide it conforms to my strong side carry position so well that in shorts and a Tee shirt you can't see it.  A bit pricy ($125) but IMHO the best deep cover holster out there.  I have several other holsters I've tried over the years but none have a strap and I like the Crossbreed best of all.

Gnat, I carry a RIA Compact 1911 in a Crossbreed IWB holster.  Made out of horsehide it conforms to my strong side carry position so well that in shorts and a Tee shirt you can't see it.  A bit pricy ($125) but IMHO the best deep cover holster out there.  I have several other holsters I've tried over the years but none have a strap and I like the Crossbreed best of all.

Draco,

Do you have a pic, or a link to a pic, of a 'Crossbreed' holster? There's so many names out there for types, there's pancakes, butterflies, paddles, cops, crossdraw, and most of these look like each other.

+1 on 392heminut's post. I own a bunch of CCW holsters for many different handguns and none have a retention strap.

A couple do have trigger guard retention devices but using those without I have never lost a firearm from the holster in 28 years.

Edited by Microgunner

I use the soft cus I have soft skin :) iwb they do tend to ride up when getting in or out of the jeep but a quick check and I'm good to walk around. I only carry compact pistol but never had an issue with falling out. Due to my job I have tool bags on all day so this is a problem!? I have two ankle holsters that I hardly know are there anymore. It's an extra step but if I'm not in shorts this is how I carry. They have a retention strap but I can run climb ladders ect.. As for the leather/kydex they work great for others but this is easy for a do it yourself project and save $ check local hardware store for kydex and leather is rather easy to find as well?? Just plan on not liking anything for a few weeks of breakin. There are some under shirt options out there as well 5.11 gear is one. Just some options I've come across from my experience.

Do you wear/carry that thing on a motorcycle or do energetic things with that pistol/holster combination?

Every single day.  61 miles to work, one way, on the motorcycle most days, no retention strap, no loose pistols - ever.

Like Rob says, my 4" 1911 is in a Mernickle high-rider holster.  My 4" XD45 is in a Mernickle high-rider holster.  ZERO worries about those pistols coming out if I don't want them to.  ZERO.

The XDS is in a Tagua holster, and it's not coming out either.

Gnat, I manage to roll up about 5,000 miles a year on my Harley and retention has never been an issue. Also, I NEVER ride without carrying, too many fuking Bandidos around here! As I'm sure you've already figured out, a well fitted holster is the key to not needing retention. I would not even consider carrying a gun in one of those cheap soft nylon holsters without some sort of retention strap, not that I would use one of those things to start with.

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks to you guys for your insights and recommendations for what to look for in a holster.

The unit I got from D.M. Bullard perfectly matched what you said about a holster without a strap across the back. Talk about being "tailored"! The sidearm fits perfectly. And it's wicked-good designed to snug up tight against me. The picture they have doesn't do it complete justice. How would they know just how my belt rides and how things line up? It's pure genius.

This is an unpaid, unplanned endorsement.