• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need a better setup for handling paper targets

Friends,

This seems like a simple issue, but it has me stumped. I print my own targets on 8" x 11" computer printer paper and  a Field & Stream Target Stand For Paper Targets to hold the targets in place.

I shoot 7.62mm x 51mm from a fixed position on the deck of my house, and change the distance by moving the target stand to different locations in a field out back. Printing my own targets saves wads of money and besides, I like my design better than what's out there for sale.

Well, it happened again. I messed up on setting my elevation and totally blew off the two upper "arms" of the target stand that hold the top of the paper target. I could fix this if I had a MIG welder. This is the second target stand I've destroyed this way, and I'm tired of wasting money on target stands that are only really meant to be used for up to .22lr.

Does anyone here have a system that works better and is more durable than this? 7.62mm x 51mm is an awfully destructive round.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote wood frames before pvc. We made a few pvc frames once....VERA absolutely destroyed them. One bad shot shatters pvc and can create lots if small plastic pieces to pick up. Cheap and easy stand? Grab some of those wire frames with the corrugated plastic signs...like politicians and realtors like to use. Hits to the wire can cause a little damage, but if you have a whole case of em...who cares?

Here's the stands, get the plastic and you're good to go.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/shop/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=SC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SS-END-STAKE

I use a couple of 2x2's pointed on one end to make a stake then screw them to corrugated plastic election signs, the signs are weather proof, are easy to staple to, and don't come apart or splinter no matter how many times you shoot them, I try to get leftover signs from the local democratic candidates!

I use the wire and corplast campaign signs like Dirk suggested. Cheap, and if you have a bunch of friends running for sheriff like I do you will be all set after the elections. We've got something like 12 different people running for county sheriff and so far I've got signs from three of them posted in my yard.(I live on a high traffic street). <lmao>

Edited by 392heminut

I use the wire and corplast campaign signs like Dirk suggested. Cheap, and if you have a bunch of friends running for sheriff like I do you will be all set after the elections. We've got something like 12 different people running for county sheriff and so far I've got signs from three of them posted in my yard.(I live on a high traffic street). <lmao>

+1 on this. I got lots of coroplast and wire step stakes left over from when my wife rallied the neighborhood to fight the city council over zoning issues and won. :D

Edited by shibiwan

the city closed the alley behind my house while the did some work. they left the orange/white barriers there for a week after they finished. I liberated the feet off of them :) holds a 2x2 post nicely. thanks lazy construction guys!!

I guess it's ok to steal anything that isn't bolted down...eh?

And that poor b@st@rd knows they're shooting Chinese ammo. I guess in the Chinese Army, there are worse things than getting assigned to cleaning the outhouses.

They must really trust them! Look at the background!! NO BACKSTOPS!! LOL!!

Edited by shibiwan

• 4 weeks later...

I vote wood frames before pvc. We made a few pvc frames once....VERA absolutely destroyed them. One bad shot shatters pvc and can create lots if small plastic pieces to pick up. Cheap and easy stand? Grab some of those wire frames with the corrugated plastic signs...like politicians and realtors like to use. Hits to the wire can cause a little damage, but if you have a whole case of em...who cares?

Here's the stands, get the plastic and you're good to go.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/shop/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=SC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SS-END-STAKE

I always volunteer to go pick up the political signs after elections. provides a nice supply of free target holders, some just flat make fun targets!