• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need a better setup for handling paper targets

You come out here, and my Arizona Ninjas will manage to shoot the fuk out of the PVC.  I think the PVC is bullet-magnetized or something...  These guys will test it, that's for damn sure... 

My steel-framed target was fine at 100 yards, until Mike decided that he could shoot his 10mm pistol at 100 yards...  The steel frame was full of holes after THAT range trip... <lmao>

Don't MAKE me take pictures of the target frame, Mike.  I'm just sayin'...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You come out here, and my Arizona Ninjas will manage to shoot the fuk out of the PVC.  I think the PVC is bullet-magnetized or something...  These guys will test it, that's for damn sure... 

My steel-framed target was fine at 100 yards, until Mike decided that he could shoot his 10mm pistol at 100 yards...  The steel frame was full of holes after THAT range trip... <lmao>

That's interesting...the club president went through the trouble of welding angle iron on the target stand uprights, to deflect bullets.

Due to all the holes that appear mysteriously a couple of times a year.

think it's more a projectile magnet, my old man build a PVC stand for our target we shot our recurve bows at, mind you I learned to shot in this target "instinctive" no pins no peep sights. His buddy comes over who is a pin shooter and explodes the thing first shot shooting my dads recurve......

That is why the PVC is the base and the PVC upright is only about 10-11"  The frame is 1x2" wood that is easily replaced.  If I place it at 200 yards on our range you can't even see the PVC, it is behind an intermediate berm.  I will take pictures, probably on Friday.  I can see; however, how that nice, white, PVC swims into the sight picture and.......

So how long will that last with Tom and his band of Desert Ninja's ??!! All day ?

At our range there are some intermediate berms such that at either 100 or 200 yards you can't see the PVC from the bench area.  I doubt if the furring strips will last, but they are easily replaced.  I don't doubt that the ninjas, using subsonic rounds, can drop some over the berms and.......

Gotta toss a sandbag across the base, and that would be okay (wind).  I think we could still shoot that amount of PVC, though.  I'm just sayin'... 

The sandbags would be to protect the PVC from desert ninjas.  I drilled holes in opposite corners for two 1/2" x 12" spikes that work for the wind.

• 3 weeks later...

My latest effort in this area. Our local range has an issue on its pistol range in that they set up 25 yard target holders, but they are anchored in concrete, and we always get people walking ahead of the firing line to shoot closer ( 10 yards) rendering the pistol range useless to anyone else while they are doing that. If you are practicing with a snub nose 38, you don't have much choice. I built a wheeled target holder I am donating. It uses chicken coop wire with spring loaded clothes pins to hold the target. I am making an extra one for my garage so when I get off in the boonies in my pick up, Icna create my own range in a likely, safe spot.

image.jpg

Chicken wire and clothes pins are the way to go for hanging targets.  Seriously.  I learned that way back in '09/'10, when I lived in VA.  Awesome stuff.

got this idea when I was at a Range by the Outer Banks, not that far from Virginia. Makes perfect sense. Plus I can double purpose it on laundry day.

Smart design brother Sisco,they use chicken wire here at DNR  and plastic snow fence at Izzac Walton.Chicken fence is the better of the 2 IMO.Just my 2 mags.BTW DNR is throwing 2 mill @ Willow Slough and make a 200 yrd. pit and other extras [no sure of all the details] opens in May 2016.

nice, I know some Indiana DNR people, they are a pretty good bunch. John Goss the Asian Carp Czar, is ex Indiana DNR.

We use a 1in tube frame we weld up and stretch a rubber mat across it. Use self tappers to attach rubber mat to steel. We use the mat out of a rock crusher conveyer. Or and old horse trailer mat would work. We have shot at the same target for three years now. It is self healing and you can put your targets up with a staple gun or tape. Also for you tiny group shooters. Try putting tin foil behind your targets and shoot a group and measure the group on the foil. We mess around with it every once and awhile.  

• 2 weeks later...