• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mega Maten Monolithic

shazam

So ive decided on a Mega Arms build for a lower and upper. I would like to know if it  is worth it to go with the Monolithic model or the regular billet version. I know the Monolithic comes with an ambi safety but for me that alone is not enough for me to pay that much. Are they any major differences in these models and are the differences worth the price.

The monolithic is gone now, right?  Mega stopped it, because if the legal action by VLTOR? 

July 17, 2012

To our Valued Customer:

Announcement regarding Mega Arms Monolithic MTS upper receivers:

We have both good news and also tough news to deliver. So to quickly get the bad news out of the way: we are no longer manufacturing, or offering for sale, our MTS Monolithic upper receivers. This includes sets involving the MTS upper in AR-15 and MATEN. If you are a custom MTS client, please contact us.

You must be wondering why we are taking this step. No, we did not have any safety or quality issues. You already know that our MTS upper is made to our high expectations and has been the pinnacle of the industry since its inception. We recently became aware that a competitor is about to obtain a patent, and we believe that this competitor will assert its patent against us. We have strong defenses, but we are not a large company that can sustain ongoing litigation expenses. Plus we would rather be working on providing a superior replacement.

The good news is that we are working on a new platform that far exceeds anything currently offered in the industry. It will be exactly what you would expect from Mega Arms. We have no specific time frame on when we will be able to start shipping the new platform, but stay tuned for news on that front.

The MTS upper for AR-15 and MATEN has been a huge success for us at Mega Arms, and we are just as disappointed as you are with this decision and change. We convey our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause to you or your customers. We at Mega Arms look forward to our new platform, and believe that it will be a platform that the industry would expect to see from us at Mega Arms!

Sincerely,

Mega Arms

The original Mega Monolithic wasn't that popular with the tubegun/spacegun folks - just wondering why you think this one would be?

I'm still trying to piece together an accurate picture of what tubeguns and spaceguns actually are, and whether there is actually a difference between them to make them two different types of rifles.

Depending on where you go on the 'net, you can find definitions that are merely cosmetic, to some that are highly functional.

There does seem to be a bias in favor of considering tube/spaceguns as those rifles where the the forearm is a seamless part of the receiver.

Even so, there are others who consider skeleton buttstocks and tall iron sights to be the deciding factor. Certainly the sights involved would affect which types of competition are allowed for the rifle.

Someone here might be able to explain the tubegun/spacegun thing.

I'm still trying to piece together an accurate picture of what tubeguns and spaceguns actually are, and whether there is actually a difference between them to make them two different types of rifles.

So, basically, you didn't know what you were talking about, but you just felt that you had to say something...  <dontknow>

Here's the deal with the monolithic design:

Cowitnessed optics, magnifiers, NVOs ,etc.. benefit from the monolithic rail design in that they will consistently return to zero and not be subject to POI shifts that can result from the forearm losing it's thread tension at some point. This is one of the reasons the SPR platform featured a monolithic rail that spanned the receiver and forearm. On the whole, it's a much more rigid platform than receivers that utilize thread tension for rigidity.

In any case, to each their own, but I sought this platform out to see how much accuracy I could achieve and the monolithic design has so far yielded the best results in that regard.

so the megalithic hand guard dosent come off? seems unproductive for something that's supposed

to be customizable. so besides the ambi bolt whats the difference, i guess its extremely light but the hand guard is a turn off.

Hence the reason I went with the keymod MaTen set. As far a the ambi bolt release, it makes a difference for those who have become accustomed to them. I am faster in getting a sight picture after a mag change because my hands are quicker getting back to my shooting position with my trigger finger dropping the bolt.

Robo already told you...to hunt your ass down in the Bay area. 

OK.... so it seems that my derriere is somewhat in demand.  <laughs>

So, basically, you didn't know what you were talking about, but you just felt that you had to say something...   <dontknow>

Haha... that sounds like something my autistic 7yo does all the time (yes, constantly).

Edited by shibiwan

I'm taking notes..... trying to see what people want. :D

It does, and it's a long big black tube thing...

I'd stay away also.

On a side note , I made a hand guard wrench , like is being talked about , over thirty years ago , because if you wanted a free float hand guard , Olympic Arms was the only one out there & it was just an Aluminum Tube ( I have a match one , made of steel ,never used it )with a barrel nut made in one piece. Similar as to the DPMS & others out there . Most used a strap wrench , as some do today , but I made a wrench out of a piece of pipe & ground & cut pegs to engage the holes in the Barrel nut , with a socket welded to the tube to use a torque wrench on them . Still works to this day , because I used it to change my pre ban AR's upper to a flat top last year. It is a crude device , that just works . If I get a chance , I will take a photo of it , so you'll can get a good laugh .

It can tell you when the gun is level when mounting your scope. Also tells you how level the gun is when you're setting up a shot.

Frankly, I think it's superfluous. You can't really use it from a non-bench situation, and if you can't tell a rifle is vertical when using a bench rest you need to move on to another activity.