• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Was very BIG Day for me.....

Magwa

Well I caught a 10lb 2 oz largemouth bass 44 years ago and I always wanted to catch a big small mouth bass mission accomplished...... 7 lbs 6 oz a really huge smallmouth bass Took a few pictures and let her go.... was a really good day..

Bass7lbs6oz_zps7a410a1d.jpg

yeah I got up this morning and the big A$$ smile was still there probably take a few days to go away I still can not believe I caught it jumped 4 times and each time I saw it I was like OMG!........ will probably get a mount made for it the measurements were 22 inches long and 19 and a 1/4 around and the fact that she is still swimming makes me pretty happy...... thanks guys

P.S. here is the 10 lber 44 years ago... it made the paper.....I am far right....

Fishingnewspaperpic4a_zpsa1cba503.jpg

Edited by Magwa

I noticed your shirt is half wet.

You almost had to go in after her huh?

No that is the shadow of the guy with me taking the picture.... lol

Both those fish were released I always try to release any big fish that will go on and spawn for years and I keep the small ones except for salmon they are going to die anyway so in the freezer they go big or small....

thanks Guys for sharing my big day a lot of people don't understand  you guys do.... thanks

From what I can find probably between 9 and 12 years old....

How cold is the water it lived in? If it is a Idaho mountain lake, I am guessing more towards 12 or maybe older. Here on Lake Superior, Cold water really slows down growth rate.

How cold is the water it lived in? If it is a Idaho mountain lake, I am guessing more towards 12 or maybe older. Here on Lake Superior, Cold water really slows down growth rate.

Agreed. I have a friend who used to work for the DNR they would take scale samples. you can also take a scale put it under a microscope and count rings like a tree. But that ain't gonna help now

Dworshak resevoir is very deep and 56 miles long the state record is 9 lb 14 oz the surface water is around 70 degrees I caught that fish about 5 ft off the bank in 20 ft of water they were feeding on kokanee ... but the water just 20 ft down is like 40 to 45 degrees  

Dang it Magwa! Now I have the itch to go chase some small mouth. Usually have them around this time of year, but our Mayfly hatch is missing this year so I don't know if they will show up or not. Guess I better go see. No blueberry crop either. Weird summer.

Dang it Magwa! Now I have the itch to go chase some small mouth. Usually have them around this time of year, but our Mayfly hatch is missing this year so I don't know if they will show up or not. Guess I better go see. No blueberry crop either. Weird summer.

You see all the mayflies down in la crosse last week?!? Flippin crazy !! Not blue berries either?!? Been a crazy summer down here too, cool no humidity not that I'm complaining but it's made work super slow!

Best news up here the worst mosquito season in years has finally died down. Saw the mayfly hatch was actually visible on weather radars down by LaCrosse. That is good means the river is healthy and getting rid of some of the chemical contaminants.Pretty soon the only thing you can catch down there will be Asian carp.They don't eat insects.Up here I will be starting to chase fall chinooks and coho in about four weeks. Nothing as big as Magwa gets out west though.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueberry

Grow in the wild they had a bumper crop of them last year I heard up there, the bears were gorging themselves on them. Sisco lives at the very north part of the state I live at the very southern part two totally different areas. I love northern wisc they get big smallies up there to but they are normally rusty red/brown to match the stained water up there it's root beer colored from the iron and leaf tannins

Superior smallies look a lot like the one Magwa got. Same coloration. I have a rock ledge on the front of my property that during mayfly season, we can watch the big smallies patrol by. I have caught a bunch, the problem is getting them up the cliff without damaging them. By the time I would measure them and weigh them, they would be out of water a long time, so I just unhook them and let them go. I have got some big ones, don't know if any reached seven pounds. I will take a look in my files and see if I have any pics of them to post. I lost a hard drive last month with a lot of pictures.

We have a ton of blue berries on our property usually, but not this year. Makes me wonder what the bears will do. Bad berry years are when they usually cause problems in the garbage around here.