• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Backpacks

Robocop1051

Gawdammit. We keep thread jacking other topics to have this conversation over and over again. I hate searching though the topics to remember small amounts of information.

I'm on the hunt for a new bag. Something small, lightweight, and comfortable, that I can use for hunting or just a daily bag.

I have my mind set on one of two bags (I may get both).

First is a Grey Ghost Gear lightweight assault pack. It's just about the perfect size. Has all the features I want... and will attach to a load out if I buy compatible gear (Mayflower R/C and Haley Strategic). I'm mainly waiting on one of their HUGE holiday sales before I snag one.

Second is a bag I've seen at several stores recently. It's more hunting vs tactical, but the price is right and I think it'll do exactly what I want. It's made by TimberHawk and it's their "Rut Buster". Amazon had these for a steal right now. Almost can't NOT buy it.

The only Kryptek pattern packs I've seen, that are in my price range, are from Grey Ghost Gear and Timberhawk. GGG is more for "tactical" use and is available in all the Kryptek colors. The Timberhawk stuff is only in Kryptek Highlander, and is more focused for hunters.

Since I already own Kryptek Highlander clothes, I went with the Timberhawk.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd be looking strongly at this bag instead.

http://missionspec.com/products/llama-pack-long-range-low-profile-adaptable-mission-assault-pack/

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a high Sierra like that bought it for the same reason when I rode my motorcycle more, now I use the hydration in it for when I ride my mountain bike

• 5 months later...

just scored a complete large ruck in used/good condition for $45, and a brand new complete military sleep system for $113 shipped. the ruck is the army external frame MOLLE 2 in ACU. I got out in 04 and we were still using ALICE, so I have no experience with these. any of you guys using this pack for business or pleasure? opinions?

A former roommate of mine (about 10 years ago) was issued one similar while he was in the USMC. He left it behind when he moved out. I was all to excited to accept it from his free-loading ass, especially when I found about 20 mags inside the various gear he left behind. It's a good bag. I have family that have used it for backpacking.

I came to find out later that he deserted after his last deployment. He claimed PTSD and took off. I wish I had known more at the time... on top of the gear he left several (empty) baggies of cocaine behind as well. Last I heard he was in Idaho or Colorado.

I recently got a Timberhawk "Rut Buster" and I use it daily. (I still owe Farkle for this one). It was even a head Turner at SHOT. I wore it everyday at SHOT, 6 to 8 hours at a time.

my camping trip in a box...courtesy of www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com. never even heard of these guys until this past black Friday sale when they had a coupon for 45% off your entire cart. since then I've bought a pile of stuff from them. they have decent prices, good shipping, and tons of coupons.

I really dislike ACU as a duty camo, but it looks just fine for playing in the mountains. the molle 2 ruck, complete with sustainment pouches cost me $45 shipped. used but good shape. one buckle is cracked, and the shoulder straps are frayed in one spot. the belt pack was $6 extra. the LBT holster was $12 new in bag. can use it on your belt, molle, or as a dropleg. its full ambi and adjustable for fit. like a glove on my Walther and my M&P. the real ganga of the bunch is the brand new with tags MSS sleeping bag I got for $113 shipped. stupid good deal there. fits right in its own special compartment in the bottom of the ruck.

certainly not an awesome high tech camp master setup, but its solid stuff and plenty good for me. not bad for well under $200 out the door

post-12215-0-96612400-1423546545_thumb.j

• 2 years later...

On the bag hunt again...

I’ve been using the shit out of my Timberhawk Rut Buster as a hunting bag and as my daddy-diaper bag when I haul the two legged critters around town. I like that I grabbed the Kryptek version when I did. They don’t have the option any more. I’m trying not to use this for the kids anymore and keep it kitted with hunting/camping Gear. The dual straps allow me the comfort of loading it a bit heavier than normal, and the waist straps allow comfort of longer walks/hikes. It has really been a phenomenal bag. I decided to retire it from civvy use after my last  Disneyland trip with the fam. 

3066D3E2-E983-41A1-9E6C-572F2A85A84B.jpeg

I still have my 5.11 RUSH MOAB 10 “BOB” that’s completely kitted up for getting the hell out of Dodge. I never leave town without this bag loaded up. It’s mostly a survival type set up, and not really suited for an urban “California” EDC bag... here’s mine on the right, and 98Z’s almost identical bag (right down to the same CRKT Tomahawk lashed to the side) on the left. I swear we were related in another life. Due to the nature of this bag, it usually lives in the trunk of the car, never to be seen or used. CBD6A275-1A8E-492D-8BEE-E4EB2BF8F0CB.jpeg

My new task is two fold;  I need a new EDC bag for just running around town, and I see a sunset coming to my motorcycle officer career , so I will need a new duty bag as well. 

For EDC, I want some very specific features:

• neutral color with no overt tactical features

• Sling type with QR buckle

• 15” laptop slot

• convertible to a tactical application 

I honestly waited for SHOT to see the latest, and I wasn’t too impressed with the “latest” choices. It seems the best option I have been able to find, came out a while ago. The Vertx EDC Commuter Sling Bag has every feature I want, and almost every feature I desire. The only thing missing would be an external water bottle/drink pouch. That’s not a deal breaker though... this one comes in grey too.

13FC72AA-7EA4-49DB-8DC0-8C8B32821E90.jpeg

This bag offers a small profile platform, plenty of storage and features, and is highly rated by users. I prefer the idea of a sling bag because I don’t plan on hiking with it, I like being able to pull it to the front of me in a crowd or for easy access to the contents, and in case of emergency I can pop a single buckle and be free from it. This lets me move free and light, with comfort, without sacrificing a lot of kit. I won’t be carrying a SBR in this thing, but a few spare mags, a blow out kit, all my electronics and any daily supplies will easily fit. Plus it accepts ballistic inserts... if I wanted to go that far. 

My second bag is going to be a bit more of a “war bag”. Due to my profession, I have the liberty of making a bit of more overt tactical bag. I have used just about every imaginable bag on duty, from a full sized duffle, down to a laptop case. My time on the motorcycle will eventually end, and the luxury of dual side bags goes with it. What I have learned over the last 15 years of my career is; 99% of the bags life will be spent on the seat of the car next to me, and when I need my gear with me the duffle is too cumbersome and the laptop bag is missing Gear. 

For the same reasons as the EDC bag, I want a sling bag again. Easy on and off is a must. I want to quickly don the bag, get quick access to ththe bag without removing it, and still have the option to quickly dump it in case of an emergency. Having a sturdy carry handle helps too, since the likelihood of actually wearing it will be very rare. Many times I’ve needed Gear from my bag quickly, and I can’t do that through a simple open window of a car. The bag is either too big to pull through the window, or it’s so small it’s fallen on the floorboard while driving (or I thought ahead and lashed it to ththe seat and now it’s tied down inside). In any case, I’m stuck hanging half in/out of a patrol car digging though a bunch of crap... all the while wishing I could’ve just pulled the bag through the window and tossed it on the hood of the car.

One of the bonuses of my situation is that my bag will generally be with me when I’m already wearing a load bearing vest and a full belt rig. My vest and belt already hold a plethora of lethal and less-lethal options, restraints and radio equipment. This bag would be to supply “blow out kits”, mass restraints, breaching tools, massive critical incident supplies. On top of IFAK or first responder kits, I’d like to keep my chem/gas gear and extra protective gear with me as well. 

Hazard 4 seems  to have thought of all my issues as well. Their “Plan B” bag was designed for a Humvee crewman for all the reasons I needed. 

398009DA-89FE-4E05-B734-0749607B5AC5.jpeg

The bag is narrow enough to pull through an open window, but it’s extended length allows the space for all the necessary gear... even a rifle if I needed! I like the addition of the rigid external case for soft items. I’ll never use the hydration feature, but I like having the option. The compression straps are great for lashing long items like bolt cutters, axes and pry bars to the outside. It even has a drag handle on both poles of the bag, it can be grabbed from any direction. I plan on doing a complete build up on this when I’m done. 

Anyone else worked out an EDC or work bag option that they like?

Brother, my bag is the Hazard 4 Plan B.  That's it, in the pic above with yours.  They make a longer one now called the Takedown (about 1 full pocket longer).

https://www.hazard4.com/packs/takedown.html

Here's the Takedown in "Grayman."

https://www.hazard4.com/packs/grayman-takedown.html

graymantm-series-takedowntm-a6c.jpg

There's another one I just found a few days ago, but I can't remember the name right now - I'll find it and post it up tonight.

Edited by 98Z5V