• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Core Rifle Systems

StogieC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks slick!

How well was everything assembled? I've heard some not-so-nice things about Core's quality this year (such as rifles shipped to PDs with the FCG springs installed wrong).

The lower is a thing of beauty.

The upper was obviously assembled by untrained gorillas with hangovers. Nothing was properly aligned, torqued, or loctited. The gas tube was also too short. This induced malfunctions which damaged the gas key on the BCG and I had to send it back for repair.

The rifle was shipped back to me in under a week with the new gas tube but the gas key was not replaced (it's functional but very dinged up) and everything was again out of alignment and not properly torqued.

I'm going to need one more range trip before I pass judgement on its accuracy.

I would buy an upper and lower set from them again, but not another assembled rifle until their assembly and quality control improves.

Just by watching your ejection pattern , with out the failure to eject ones, you have an erratic ejection pattern . Could be a problem with the Extractor or Ejector, or both , disassemble bolt components & inspect . Could be weak springs , sticking or binding Bolt parts . Been seeing  a lot of that of late , from a variety of manufactured rifles.

- It it a DI gas system ? 

- Does the BCG hold open on last round from the Magazine ?

-Using plenty of lubricant for break in ?  What type or brand ?

- Whats the round count of the rifle ?

Can you post photo's of the spent brass base . 

It has to be DI. There's not a piston small enough to fit inside the APEX (I tried).

I'm guessing that's an 18" or 18.5" barrel? I can see its not a rifle length gas, which may be your problem as well. An adjustable gas block or heavy buffer may fix some of your issues as well.... After you've looked at Survivalshops's suggestions.

Fwiw.

We already know the assembly of the rifle was sub-par. I'm going to put more weight on that than anything.

The external features seen in the pics (UBR w/ MonoPod, APEX handguard, LaRue BUIS, Surefire brake, Vortex glass w/ LaRue mount, Norgon button) are all top notch products. If the external quality is any reflection of the internal parts, I'm leaning even more to assembly error.

There could be a spring or pin out of whack... but it could just as easily be a misaligned gas block or similar. If you aren't savvy on the building of these rifles, I'm afraid a trip to your local gunsmith might be in order.

I'm still disappointed that it appears to not have been test fired. I would never release a rifle until I had flawlessly put at least a half magazine of mil-surp through it.

PS.

Based on your groups, I'm assuming an advanced trigger too (Geissele most likely).

Get that bipod off the bench, and into the dirt... or put your rifle on bags... and I'll bet you tighten that group up even more.

Nice shooting!

I run pretty much the same setup on my bolt gun.

post-15032-0-56380800-1408294671_thumb.j

post-15032-0-04485000-1408294054_thumb.j

I'm not really pleased with most of those groups.

The rifle came with the UBR, Apex forearm, Surefire break, and a Geissele SSA-E trigger. I added the rest.

Edited by StogieC

Bolt rifles can handle a bipod on a table better than the auto loaders. Just putting an old rag or carpet fragment under the bipod legs will change your shooting. It's all the moving parts that change your harmonics. I could see your rifle jump (even if it was only a little bit) from your video. I had the same issue when I first started my rifle.

You obviously know how to shoot, and shoot well. I'm not trying to change that.

Just by watching your ejection pattern , with out the failure to eject ones, you have an erratic ejection pattern . Could be a problem with the Extractor or Ejector, or both , disassemble bolt components & inspect . Could be weak springs , sticking or binding Bolt parts . Been seeing a lot of that of late , from a variety of manufactured rifles.

- It it a DI gas system ?

- Does the BCG hold open on last round from the Magazine ?

-Using plenty of lubricant for break in ? What type or brand ?

- Whats the round count of the rifle ?

Can you post photo's of the spent brass base .

The only thing about the brass is that the primer strikes are a little off center. But no oblong strikes or unusual case head dings. There are obviously some buggered up cases from the malfunctions.

The bolt is pretty loose in the BCG. Really needs new rings.

About 125 rounds so far. Using good old breakfree CLP. Holds open just fine. Maybe it is over gassed.

post-15032-0-68821200-1408296595_thumb.j

post-15032-0-55938700-1408296608_thumb.j

post-15032-0-48361800-1408296628_thumb.j

post-15032-0-85379600-1408296641_thumb.j

Edited by StogieC

Bolt rifles can handle a bipod on a table better than the auto loaders. Just putting an old rag or carpet fragment under the bipod legs will change your shooting. It's all the moving parts that change your harmonics. I could see your rifle jump (even if it was only a little bit) from your video. I had the same issue when I first started my rifle.

You obviously know how to shoot, and shoot well. I'm not trying to change that.

I'll break out the sandbags next trip