• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Oklahoma

Anvil

• 1 month later...

Boomer Sooner spent some crazy years at OU.....watched the guy jump from the 10 story "Towers" roof in 66/67

with a crowd of kids yelling jump p...ssy jump....and he did! he bounced off the brick planter to the concrete DRT....lol he had escaped from the mental lockup.....no more problemo.....we all felt kinda bad....for bout an hour till the brews kicked in <lmao> Wash

Edited by washguy

Boomer Sooner spent some crazy years at OU.....watched the guy jump from the 10 story "Towers" roof in 66/67

with a crowd of kids yelling jump p...ssy jump....and he did! he bounced off the brick planter to the concrete DRT....lol he had escaped from the mental lockup.....no more problemo.....we all felt kinda bad....for bout an hour till the brews kicked in <lmao> Wash

Before my time - barely.  I was there from 71-74. Switzer-land back then - did sneak up into the Science Tower during a tornado warning and watched twisters coming down out of the clouds up towards Moore.  DUMBER than dirt, but it looked pretty cool.

Edited by briflemn762

Before my time - barely.  I was there from 71-74. Switzer-land back then - did sneak up into the Science Tower during a tornado warning and watched twisters coming down out of the clouds up towards Moore.  DUMBER than dirt, but it looked pretty cool.

Coach fairbanks....I think...also national champs too..I think? lol did it ever rain and snow dirt red on you? those were the days...girls could buy 3.2 beer at 18...men couldn't...so you had better have a "beer bitch" to get it for you.....some crazy laws back then :) Wash

Coach fairbanks....I think...also national champs too..I think? lol did it ever rain and snow dirt red on you? those were the days...girls could buy 3.2 beer at 18...men couldn't...so you had better have a "beer bitch" to get it for you.....some crazy laws back then :) Wash

Yeah, Coach Fairbanks came in along there some place.  Red mud failing from the skies & getting all over my white '66 Mustang.  I remember those days well.  Never was a beer drinker tho'.  We smuggled in grain alcohol to make 'Cowboy Lemonade' when we wanted to party.  :ecs: LOL - That's how I found out my room mate was a projectile puker.  Sitting out on the quad watching movies shown on a big white screen hanging on the side of the building and he got totally hammered on the CL we had in one of those big red & white picnic jugs.  :puke:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a Colorado transplant 24 years ago when I got stationed here at Altus AFB.  Growing up in Colorado Springs I never would have believed I would settle here in Oklahoma.  I thought OKlahoma was for folks that didn't know and better.  Now I am one.  When we were stationed here in 1991 my wife cried for 3 days and we were stationed in Germany at the time.  When we moved here my daughter started kindergarten the same year and we discovered it was a great place to raise kids.  After a couple years we decided to purchase some more land so we wouldn't have to hunt for a place to shoot.  We've had that 400 acres besides the 20 we are living on for 24 years.  I didn't think there would be any deer hunting down here but I see more deer then I ever saw in Colorado.  

post-15966-0-46050100-1430811520_thumb.j

For the most part I enjoyed my service.  Especially during the Reagan years when we had enough money to shoot lots of ammo and enjoyed a lot of field training.  I retired during the Clinton years when I just couldn't serve a president that wanted to take all our guns away.  I feel so badly for our current troops and what they have to go through.  Then have cut the military so far that our service members cannot hardly keep a marriage going.  Way to many deployments for the modern soldier and not enough support from the "Commander in Chief". 

In the 1980’s I was stationed at Pope AFB and got to know the commander of 7th Group Special Forces Unit.  He invited me to spend 2 days on the range shooting everything they had in their inventory from suppressed .22 LR handguns up to 106 Recoilless rifle.   I mean EVERYTHING in between.  At the time I had my Air Force Aggressor camo outfit on with the rip away rank patch on my left chest.  I was shooting an M1 Garand at 800 yards at the man size electronic fall down targets and the gun was good.  After knocking a few down a couple of the PFCs quietly asked me what I did in the Air Force.  I told them the truth that I was an Exterminator.  Their eyes got big and they acted like I had just let them in on a big secret.  When they went back to the other group of Grunts they all stood there looking at me like I was some kind of hit man.  I never did tell them that all I killed was critters.  Those 2 days I probably burned up $40,000 worth of ammo.  It was during the Regan years when the military had plenty of money.  I was in hog heaven shooting the M2 50 BMG, M203, Law Rockets and of course the  M40 106 recoilless Rifle.  The amount of power was amazing.  It was the kind of stuff that Air Force guys just never got to do, so I really considered myself very lucky.   

Edited by ridurall

After my active duty time in the USMC I joined a USMC reserve unit in Amarillo Texas as a Track Vehicle mechanic mos, which I was trained for at 29 Palms and Pendleton. For a short time  the reserve unit at Amarillo was an ONTOS unit. The ONTOS was a bastard track vehile designed as an ambush anti-tank unit. The ontos had 6 106 MM recoilless rifles mounted in a sort of turrent (very limited  movement) three on each side of the vehicle. We had a pair of semi-automatic .50 Cal rifles coupled to the 106s. the trajectory of the .50 cals were matched to the 106 and were boresighted and sighted in to the 106s point of aim. The .50 semi -autos had 10 round magazines like the Bar and M14 rifles. the rounds had W.P. spotting bullets and with the gunners optic sight you could see a white smoke where the round hit. We would shoot a W.P.. 50 round see the smoke spot and adjust the 106 to where the target actuall was and then fire the 106 single or multi rounds.

The 106 was a hoot to shoot!

just some of the bad things was that the ONTUS was slower than a tank, poorly armored,  the loader had to get out the back hatch and load the recoiless  rifles and the spotting rifles and  the ONTOS tended to roll out of control going down a mountain. The Amarillo unit  changed to a tank unit , their ONTOS vehicles went to Vietnam with the 1st Marine Division and most of them were used to support ground troops.

aca13218_2_large.jpg?v=1428684101

Oh the memories.  That time when I got to shoot the 106 at Ft. Bragg I well remember pulling the center of the barrel adjustment wheel and yelling spotter when I fired the 50 BMG spotter round.  When it hit the deuce and a half on the range at 1500 meters I yelled main gun and punched the center of the wheel and I was in the middle of the biggest boom I ever felt.  I thought it was going to tear my britches off.  :banana: It is an amazing piece of work.  At that range I hit the engine block and really tore up the front end of that vehicle. I had seen the rounds before but didn't understand what they really were.  Looking like a giant 30:06 round with holes in the case.  The way it shattered the ground behind it and in front of it was nothing short of amazing.  

mrmackc your picture of the ONTOS is only the second time that I think I've seen one.  When we were at Hurlburt Field next to Eglin AFB in FL. for Rapid Runway Repair training the cadre had one minus all the guns and the Chief invited me and a couple others for a ride.  If it is the same vehicle I was amazed at how fast it went.  I believe the one the cadre had was destined to be a range target but it was quite fast.  It however had some water that had leaked inside it. That Chief took us flying down the runway and headed off into the smaller trees as fast as it would go.  I thought he was going to get us killed as I saw trees flying over the  hatch as the ONTOS struck them.  Man that was back in the mid 1980s but still quite a memory. 

The original ONTOS was powered with a 270 ci GMC engine and a small Allison automatic transmission. I was involved in the upgrade to a Chrysler 318 V/8 and an Allison lockup torque converter. The factory sent out a tech to supervise us in the field upgrade. After we removed the little GMC straight six and we were ready to insert the V/8 I asked the tech if he had a shoehorn in his tool kit. Our CO set us a quota of one up grade per day the first one took 3 or4 days.

Loaded down with six 106mms two.50 spotter rifles, and a Ma duece and ammo a 3 man crews and gear it's performance was pretty mild.

Edited by mrmackc