• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

ZQI 7.62 @ wallyworld.

blue109

buddy of mine left this in my mail box at work. says made in turkey. fine print says lot tested, NATO specs, sub MOA@100. no weight info. doesn't specify corrosive or not. brass looks good. green sealant on primers. he said it was about $11/20. I'm skeptical to say the least on accuracy claims but at this price it could be a good plinking option. ill try to shoot some next weekend.

post-12215-0-26501000-1410718504_thumb.j

Edited by blue109

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

buddy of mine left this in my mail box at work. says made in turkey. fine print says lot tested, NATO specs, sub MOA@100. no weight info. doesn't specify corrosive or not. brass looks good. green sealant on primers. he said it was about $11/20. I'm skeptical to say the least on accuracy claims but at this price it could be a good plinking option. ill try to shoot some next weekend.

Good find, definitely worth a shot.pun intended. Anybody know the price breakdown on reloading that round? ( for comparison )

NATO STANAG 2310 was the ratification of .308 Winchester ammo into the NATO inventory, and that happened in 1957.  That was ratified as the inclusion of the 147gr .308 WIn load as 7.62x51 NATO.

It's 147 grain ammo. 

Pull one down for verification, because that's only what they say it is. 

I shot a box of them a couple of weeks ago in my LAR8. I had several ftf in the one mag I shot of them. I didn't try the mag with other ammo so it could have been the mag. I have not had any problems with any mags or ammo prior to this. It is a small sample but that is what I experienced.

It was 9.97 a box, so I got a few and will try again later.

buddy says the 556 stuff was about the same as his federal 55gr, and more accurate than his green tip.

....all depends on barrel twist, too... 5.56 is some finicky shitz from barrels all twisted up...

These ain't no 5.56 rifles here, and the ammo ain't the same...  Just sayin'...

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bullet Weight (grains): ~ 147

Bullet Length (inches): 1.18 ( - 0.04)

Cartridge Weight (grains): ~ 378

Cartridge Length (inches): 2.80 ( - 0.02)

Mean Pressure (psi): Max. 55,130 (NATO)

Velocity (fps at 78 feet): ~ 2,713

Accuracy (mean radius (in) at 328 ft): Max 1.38

Bullet Material:

Jacket: Gilding Metal (Brass)

Core: Lead-Antimony Alloy

Case Material: Brass

Primer: 7.62 mm Primer, Boxer

Powder (grains): Ball Powder, ~ 45

Specs from their website.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through 2 boxes last weekend.  3 double feed - short stroke after the gun warmed up.  Buzzed through another 20 of a known good brand with no issues in the same magazine.  My gun is picky and doesn't like cheap ammo.  I can't get through 3 rounds of PMC without it jamming. 

Ammo prices have dropped.  There are better options within a dollar or 2 on gunbot. 

+1 on the 168 grain comment.

Ive burned through a couple of boxes doibg my break in since it was cheap and I wasnt worried about groupings.

Since I was doing the 1 shot & clean routine I got to see how dirty it was. I was surprised at the ammount of residue between shots. Hoppes cleaner soaked on the bore brush and it took about 3-4 ppatches to get it clean again for the next shot.

With 5 shots and a cleaning it was about the same so maybe it was more of a function of getting the cleaner out and not so much the ammo.

Ive never done a proper break in on any of my barrels before though so maybe thats normal.

On the upshot, it all went boom and it ran perfectly in the gun. Ill be shooting this stuff quite a bit for general plinking given the price but I'll be doing a good cleaning each time too... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a crap load of this stuff (or as much as I could afford) It has all cycled well and since that bullet has a lead core, the tip must be made of titanium. Shooting at 150 yrds. (Max of the day), it cuts 5/16" chain links and puts a dent into a 1" steel back drop, like I have never seen before. Not even a Win 300 mag did this. I know there is a lead core, because the splash is there. But the dent in the steel....

At 100 and 150yrds, the tannerite was no match and no misses, so I consider this pretty accurate stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a crap load of this stuff (or as much as I could afford) It has all cycled well and since that bullet has a lead core, the tip must be made of titanium. Shooting at 150 yrds. (Max of the day), it cuts 5/16" chain links and puts a dent into a 1" steel back drop, like I have never seen before. Not even a Win 300 mag did this. I know there is a lead core, because the splash is there. But the dent in the steel....

At 100 and 150yrds, the tannerite was no match and no misses, so I consider this pretty accurate stuff.

The Turks make some badass ammo. 70 year old Turk 8mm Mauser was the only round to penetrate an AR500 steel plate in some guys Youtube video when tested against a variety of similar military rounds. I stockpile ZQ1 .308 because it shoots well in my PSA PA10 and I don't believe we will ever see 50 cent M80 spec ammo again after the price of this stuff is raised or it's banned.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...