• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6.5 Creedmoor Freebore

Wade Brown

From the SAAMI site of definitions

LEADE (LEAD)
That section of the bore of a rifled gun barrel located immediately ahead of the chamber in which the rifling is conically removed to provide clearance for the seated bullet. Also called Throat or Ball Seat.
FREE BORE
A cylindrical length of bore in a firearm just forward of the chamber in which rifling is not present. Associated with bullet jump.

Terry,

To answer your question and following the definitions above I am wondering what freebore people are using on the reamers used to cut the chambers for their 6.5 Creemoor.  As I see it the correct freebore for a magazine fed precision rifle allows a reloader to seat the bullets they want to shoot touching the rifling such that the COAL still allows the rounds to still fit the magazine.

Thanks

wade

"freebore" is usally set at@..625 thou.   that  is, the bullet never toches the rifiling untill it is free of the case.

"Leade", on the other hand, can be set long. for heavy bullets, or short, for light bullets. In other words, if you have a long leade, short bullets may not ever touch the rifiling, while seated in the case.  With a short leade, or throat, a heavy bullet may need to  be seated deeper  in  the case.

Also, the bullet ojive differs from style of bullet( round nose to spitzer)  or even just  different  weights of the same brand of bullets.

Respectfully

Terry

OK, I see where the problem lies!  I   think!LOL!   Hornanadys newest handbook uses throat and freebore as almost interchangable!

Their handbook lists fifteen thou  ( .o15 ) as the difference between a "short" throat, and a "long" throat.

Unless you are setting up the rifle for one specific bullet, a "standard"  6.5 creedmore reamer is probably your best bet.  Hornady had mulitiple reamerss ade to test for the best comprimise.

Respectfully

Terry

Edited by Tripledeuce
add sentence