• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

McGowen 308x39 AR First 500 Review

TenRingKing

In a word WOW. What a ride. First the the upper is a McGowen built, 20" target CM barrel, 1-12 twist, Rifle size on gas system. Built with the intent of working the high side of the X39. Because of this I had supplied ammo samples to them and they dialed in the gas system timing to perfection. Shooting 123gr Lapua FMJ at 2650fps and lays the brass at your feet. So smooth. There chamber, when compaired to 6 other X39 rifles/uppers has the shortest distance of bullet contact to lands by .040 to .075. True match grade quality. The accuracy is just plane outstanding. Reloading, compared to my 223 & 308 AR target guns, is also very interesting. Using powders that I consider designed for the X39, Vit N120,Vit N530, IMR4198, Reloader7,& Norma 200, with 100 and 123gr Lapua, 115gr Berger, 110grv-max, 135gr Sierra MK and 135gr Sierra Varmit  all produced match quality grouping. Shooting for nearly 50 years and reloading for about 25 years never saw a rifle shoot so many powders and bullets so well and consistent. My goal is to get a 123gr Lapua to 2700+ fps, almost there. Again, Thank you McGowen Barrels, your AR gunsmith rocks!