• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My son's completed PA65

My son bought an upper and lower from PSA(complete upper 6.5 creedmoor, complete lower) was pretty pleased with it, shot pretty good.

His only complaint really was the SS barrel.

His mother didn't know what to get him for Christmas, so I sent a link to an Anderson barrel I'd research to see what barrel extension it had. It was an 18" black nitride. She got that for him for Christmas.

We installed the barrel couple weeks ago, just today weather had been decent enough, we got a few rifles out to shoot and zero some scopes.  During disassembly, fully expecting barrel nut issues from being over tightened, we were pleasantly surprised, while tight, it wasn't overly tight. First thing I noticed was the gas port in the Anderson barrel was considerably smaller. Looking at the gas block from PSA, the adjustment screw appeared to be screwed in damn near all the way. Couldn't see the end of screw from inside gas port, was recessed about an 1/8" from adjustment end. He'd also bought a comp for it.

Loaded a 20 round mag and went about zeroing the Bushnell engage. Took about 4 shots to get it zeroed, rifle functioned great. He set out to shoot some 5 shot groups. For a 150.00 barrel, I figured it'd shoot about as good as the PSA barrel. We were both amazed at how much more accurate his new barrel is. Every group had all bullet holes touching, never had two out of 5 touching with old barrel. To be fair, this engage scope is 100% better than the PA 1-8 scope he's bought and shot previously with the PSA barrel. That engage scope was extremely accurate. First shot was wide right. For kicks, I had him adjust left, 36MOA. Fired another shot(WAY left, intentional, it was off that far. Went back to the right 36 MOA, shot again, 3rd shot touching 1st shot. Just happened, elevation was dead on at centered reticle for 100 yards, shot right 8". Adjust left 8 MOA, hits bullseye (4 shots to zero).

I said it functioned flawlessly, but it was actually a single shot. After zeroing, he started his group shooting and I'd adjust gas block between shots until it not only ejected(which it did from the get go) but catch another round.  Got the sorted, after 20 rounds, it didn't lock bolt back. 

Next we did one one in mag at a time until I had gas block completely open. Still not holding open. I'd put an H2 buffer in it to try to smooth out how it came from factory, so we installed the buffer PSA built it with. Still no joy. I had an assortment of carbine springs from various ar-15's. Luckily the lightest weight spring finally allowed last shot hold open.

He's only used the 2 Magpul 20 round mags, they've always worked great. He'd bought a couple 10 rounds, those wouldn't work at all in this PSA right, was too tight, couldn't insert with bolt closed, with open, it had tension but locked in. BCG wouldn't strip a round at all using bolt release. They work fine in my Ceratac AR 308 though.

He's pretty stocked with his PSA PA 65 now, it's all blacked out, and shoots lights out, he was grinning ear to ear

I believe PSA has changed their PA65 adjustable gas blocks a couple times due to the preceding variety not being so great. It is possible the preceding model had the gas adjustment screw at the front of the gas block with a set screw on the side. However, on mine, which I bought last summer, the gas adjustment is on the right side of the gun with the set screw being on the front of the gas block. I only mention this because it is fairly recessed (the set screw), and I wondered if you mixed them up potentially. I'm pretty sure a number of people have got it mixed up and thought the gas block was faulty. If you do a search on how to adjust it, you will likely find conflicting advice, even from PSA, on how to do it, and I think this is because they switched their sourcing for the gas blocks. Mine was overgassed in its initial setting, which is common for all gas ports these days due to the manufacturer not wanting to hear reports of their guns not cycling from customers and reviewers. I think/know it's possible to adjust it and have it cycle and hold back after the last round without having to resort to changing buffer weight or springs or ammo or BCG, although one might change those for other reasons I suppose.

They should include instructions for the gas blocks because they differ so much from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Edited by erichard

No mix up possible.

The set screw is in the side, very small, stainless. The restrictor screw inserts from the front, much larger, and was visible when viewing up in to the gas port hole.

I'd actually ran it out far enough that the set screw could then be threaded in blocking the restrictor screw.

I'll add that the set screw is forward of the gas port.

Edited by CRracer912

I have one like your description that I just installed on another AR; that adj. gas block is from Joe Bob Outfitters (good value and small enough to fit under most all handguards if anyone is looking for one). 

For those interested, the gas block on my PA65 upper has the forward set screw (on front of gas block) offset left from the center, which makes it impossible for it to be the screw that restricts/blocks the gas hole and is one way to recognize this version externally. 

Nice his new barrel is working so well. I wouldn't mind having a lighter barrel as the gun is heavy, but I like it nonetheless and have other lighter rifles.