• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Correct Gas Port Size

Welrope

First, thanks for any help. 

I have started customizing a DD5v4 in 6.5 creedmoor just to see how accurate I can make it.  Started with replacing the barrel with a 20 inch proof carbon barrel with a rifle + 1 gas and a .750 SLR titanium AGB.  Out of the gate I have struggled to get the ejections to be consistent. Will cycle fine and lock back a few times but after a few rounds, will get a stove pipe, jam, failure to load a round or failure to lock back.  Each time it happens I’ll open the block another click and get the same result after a few shots.  ( I have borescoped and ensured the AGB is on correct and removed/reinstalled the AGB to check for leaks).  I run the bcg wet and have put a couple hundred rounds of Hornady match 140 and 147g through it. As well as some super performance 120’s.  Same outcome.  A couple of other parts I had ordered came in (tubbs 308 flat wire and kynshot 5005 buffer along with the lmt 308 prs stock).  My assumption is this will slow the bolt down even more and exacerbate my issues.  Rifle shoots lights out with some 10 shot groups under .5 and 3 shot groups at .4.  The hellfire match break has eliminated all muzzle jump and hoping the buffer and spring combo perfects the recoil system.  Now I need to focus on the gas system and get it moving well.  Dd5 has a heavy bolt already and I’ve increased the weight of the buffer by 1.2 oz.  I’m pretty positive my gas port is .086 and I’m set to open it to .94 with a carbide chucking reamer.  Wanted some advice before I take the barrel and handgaurd off this thing once more.  

also, the gas tube aligns perfectly in the center of the “ears” in the upper and the bcg holds up when placed vertical on a table.   I’ve read others that opened their port on these barrels to .094 and just wanted some more input before I do the same.  Thanks and let me know if there is any more details I should add.