• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

125 gr. .30 Noslers and 147 gr. FMJ .30's in 10" and 12" twist barrels

.308 Lover

I've been trying to work up some loads in my .308 Browning BLR.  The 165 gr. Sierra Game King HPBT's work fine.  I'm getting groups of right around 1/2 inch at 100 yards (for 3 shots), sometimes a little over 1/2" and sometimes a little under and sometimes just about right at 1/2" with Varget powder.  I also tried some IME 4064 and some H4895.  They look promising and I'm not through with those powders yet.

I accurized the BLR rifle by reaming out the center of the fore end (where the hanger from the frame goes through, as it was not only touching there, but really bearing down to one side) and by taking some wood out of the barrel channel and glass bedding it.  The fore end was really pushing hard on one side of the barrel, the same side the hanger rod was pushing the fore end to.  Groups are about 1/3 the size that they used to be and it doesn't open the groups up when the barrel gets hot.

The BLR has a 1 in 12" twist.  I've only tried a few loads with 125 gr. Noslers and 147 gr. IMI FMJ's but nothing yet, just large groups.

On Sunday I'm going to try the bullets that don't shoot in the 12" twist in a rifle with a 10" twist.  Has anyone tried these bullets in a 10" twist barrel, and if so, how did they shoot.  What powder did you use?

I have H322, H4895, IMR 4064, Varget and H414.  I have some LeveRevolution powder too and I tried that with the 165 gr. moly-coated bullets.  I got good velocity but the accuracy was not so great, 3 shots in 1 1/2" for the best load.

Any help and advise would be appreciated.