• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rings for bolt action.

Cali_Ed

Specs:

Remington 700

Bull barrel

Tps rail

Looking to pick up some rings while all these deals are going on. So these are the rings I'm looking at ," tps super low rings".

I understand companies measure differently.

For these rings  measurements from to online dealers  they are.

Midwayusa: .228"

Brownells: .820"

Tps website: .820"

I used this website to help determine if the rings would work.

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

When I use the measurement  .820" it passes

When I use .228" it fails.

(Fyi: on the website I use the night force 50mm scope in the drop down menu. For the last question I input .5" and after it converts it to mm I subtracted 2 more mm just for extra cushion  )

Which is correct? Don't want to order rings that are way to low.

What scope do you plan on running?

A nightforce with a 50mm objective? I believe most rings are measured like the drawing shows from top of rail to center line of scope. Once you know the (actual) OD of your scope then you can be sure. Also if your objective hangs off your rail and over your barrel you may be able to sit the scope lower by checking with a straight edge on the rail to see what your clearance is above the barrel. Im not trying to be an ass just not sure what scope you are looking? A night force w/ a 50mm objective actually has a 59mm objective OD (2.322) /2 = 1.161 to centerline   with a .820 ring that puts your objective (.341) almost 3/8" below your rail.

Edited by Toolndie7

What scope do you plan on running?

A nightforce with a 50mm objective? I believe most rings are measured like the drawing shows from top of rail to center line of scope. Once you know the (actual) OD of your scope then you can be sure. Also if your objective hangs off your rail and over your barrel you may be able to sit the scope lower by checking with a straight edge on the rail to see what your clearance is above the barrel. Im not trying to be an ass just not sure what scope you are looking? A night force w/ a 50mm objective actually has a 59mm objective OD (2.322) /2 = 1.161 to centerline   with a .820 ring that puts your objective (.341) almost 3/8" below your rail.

vortex pst 50mm. With translatranslate to like 57.6mm

My tps rail height by it self is .310 according to tps.

Placing a straight edge on the action to where the barrel tapers off it measures .21

So what I used to determine this in conjuction with that website was 

.21"+.31"+.82" =1.34"

1.34"-(2.26"/2)=.21" of clearance.