• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello, got a parts question for y'all

cevgunner

How do, all;

I have a Bushmaster BAR308, uses the FAL mags , and came with that dippy ambidextrous mag release.  Problem is , it's sticky, hard to release the mag from either side, and RRA won't respond to confirm or deny if their parts for the LAR-8 are interchangeable.  I'm not about to blow $100 plus shipping on something that I can't send back, and if they don't want to talk to me , why do I want to give them my business?

Visually, the two rifles are alike.  I don't have an original manual ( bought the rifle used) , like the platform, but would like a few spares, and want to have the ability to get new parts if my tinkering goes awry.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

cevgunner

10 years, US Army

30+ years , shooting , reloading , tinkering.  Breaker of small parts, sometimes on purpose.

Up in Wisconsin , for a while yet

Thanks for joining!! Unfortunately I cant answer your question as Im not sure what design changes RRA made when they took over the product.

I suggest start a new topic in the RRA section and we will hope for a reply there. Some visitors skip the intro sections. Additionally I will poke around and see what I can find.

Curiously do you know why it functions poorly? is something flexing or not moving enough? Do you have pictures?

Just a picture of the rifle itself? Not yet.

From the feel of the mag release, it's a tolerance issue, and sticky seems the handiest discription.  You have to bottom out the button before it releases form the right side, and the left side button needs only to go about 3/4 of the way in to release.

The Bushmaster takes either the Metric or Inch pattern, interchangeably.

The release is a block fitted into the receiver, accessible from either side, and fixed with no adjustment.

It's never been disassembled from the receiver,and the pins are solid - similar to a dowel pin.  Haven't miked them , to check for a taper.

I'll try for pics later.

331_.pdf

• 1 month later...

First off, Welcome!  Now for the question, I have never had one in my hands, so not for sure but that being said, anytime I have a part that is "sticky" I try to smooth it out.  I would carefully dissasemble the mag catch and polish all the parts on their pivot points or where they might be rubbing.  I would use very ultra fine sand paper or even steel wool works great.  A lot of these parts have too much finish material on them causing them to fit too tight.  Remember, be very cautious and go slow, It wont take much to get them slick.  Thats where I would start.  Good luck